Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2009, 01:53 PM

34 posts, read 93,884 times

Advertisements

I like many others found Charlotte to be an appealing place however I think the folks who are born and raised there or have been there for over 15 years have grown tired of out of area people like many from the north, and other parts of the US, moving there making it so much harder for those who were already there to find employment. Unemployment I see has grew to an astounding 12% according to some posts I've seen on this forum. Also there is a stereotypical way some of the southerners think of folks from the north as well as other areas which can make it even more difficult for (the out of towners) to make it... As silly as this may sound I have heard women tell me they change their accent to sound southern just to not be discriminated against. I remember asking them "Why do that? Just be yourself." I think it's unfair for the original Charlotte folks to have to compete harder in a now very saturated place in these hard economic times... It's also unfair for those not from the Charlotte area trying to start a new life to be discrimated against... Why Charlotte? is it because GA is too crowded with out of towners?

Old 08-01-2009, 02:03 PM

165 posts, read 559,304 times
This is America. People can move where they choose. Many other places have seen a much higher increase of people moving into their state. It just happens. Everyone is struggling right now. I just really don't think its fair for people to act like they have some claim over Charlotte.

Old 08-01-2009, 02:23 PM

3,774 posts, read 8,191,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HLaw82 View Post
I just really don't think its fair for people to act like they have some claim over Charlotte.
word.

especially when they are yankee transplants.

Old 08-01-2009, 02:37 PM

1,039 posts, read 3,003,805 times
My 2 cents... as someone who as grown up here in Charlotte since age 3. I know I can get a job much easier and faster than just about any transplant, assuming all things are equal, experience, education... The fact is by living here for so long I have an endless number of contacts in many different fields. I assume anyone else who is a native Charlottean would have similar contacts. Out of towners depend on nothing but their resume and interviewing skills to get jobs in Charlotte or anywhere else.

Old 08-01-2009, 02:47 PM

201 posts, read 670,068 times
I'm a Charlotte native, and my husband and I lived in Philadelphia, PA for a while.

He was getting his post graduate degree. A few of the locals made it known that they were not quiet sure he'd succeed in such a rigorous program (which it was). After all, he was the only one from the "deep south" lol. He finished first in his class.

We had the best time living there, and made great friends as well. We were so happy that the majority of people were not of the same mindset of the few that we encountered those first few weeks.

We also love living here. I think anywhere you live, there will be people that have rude comments to say. From where you are from to the color you paint your house, people like to talk (and sometimes, don't know when to keep their mouth shut).

If someone chooses to be around these types of people, you have to wonder, why?

Life's too short to put up with the drama, and there's too many nice people out there to waste your time on the rude ones--no matter where they're from or how long they've been here.

Last edited by cmhousesearch; 08-01-2009 at 03:10 PM..

Old 08-01-2009, 03:59 PM

3,071 posts, read 9,135,150 times
If you want to move to charlotte come on. Just BRING PLENTY OF CASH AND BE ABLE TO CONTRIBUTE.. Dont complain about anything here untill you have lived here for several years and if you are looking to find work GOOD LUCK.you are last in line.

Old 08-01-2009, 04:07 PM

4,010 posts, read 10,206,729 times
How do you tell the difference between a native Charlottean and a transplant?

It's the transplants that think Charlotte is Southern. The comment about women taking on fake accents made me laugh.

Old 08-01-2009, 04:24 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lumbollo View Post
How do you tell the difference between a native Charlottean and a transplant?

It's the transplants that think Charlotte is Southern. The comment about women taking on fake accents made me laugh.
Me, too.

Old 08-01-2009, 04:26 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatmom1871 View Post
I like many others found Charlotte to be an appealing place however I think the folks who are born and raised there or have been there for over 15 years have grown tired of out of area people like many from the north, and other parts of the US, moving there making it so much harder for those who were already there to find employment. Unemployment I see has grew to an astounding 12% according to some posts I've seen on this forum. Also there is a stereotypical way some of the southerners think of folks from the north as well as other areas which can make it even more difficult for (the out of towners) to make it... As silly as this may sound I have heard women tell me they change their accent to sound southern just to not be discriminated against. I remember asking them "Why do that? Just be yourself." I think it's unfair for the original Charlotte folks to have to compete harder in a now very saturated place in these hard economic times... It's also unfair for those not from the Charlotte area trying to start a new life to be discrimated against... Why Charlotte? is it because GA is too crowded with out of towners?
Well, seems like you have it all figured out.

Old 08-01-2009, 04:55 PM

310 posts, read 672,367 times
As said before, this is America, and people have the right to move and live wherever they want, along with bringing their less than desirable political/social/environmental thinking etc with them. My answer to that is invoking my right to move somewhere that better suits the way I think. Some resentment is to be expected, after all, a lot of us WERE here first. It's just the way people are. You can't flood peoples' home with all kinds of out of area whacky thinking and philosophies and just expect them to smile and not say anything. Well, I don't expect that of people anyway. All I know is that it's perfectly acceptable for everyone ELSE to "preserve their culture" when going somewhere, but when the native population doesn't like it, THEY'RE the ones being jerks. Just my observation, not directed at any specific transplants on the board, gotta keep it friendly!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: