Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2007, 09:34 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,370,579 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dengar View Post
Shrimp with grits?? blegh!! LOL!!
Den I 2nd that..LMAO....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2007, 10:18 PM

4,300 posts, read 14,951,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJmomof2 View Post
Den I 2nd that..LMAO....
That sounds gross! I like grits and I like shrimp but together?

Old 04-23-2007, 10:23 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena View Post
That sounds gross! I like grits and I like shrimp but together?
Don't knock it til you try it - that is some damn fine eatin'

Old 04-24-2007, 12:26 PM

3,574 posts, read 14,339,300 times
Definitely the K&W! Also, Isy Belle's in Mooresville....

Old 04-24-2007, 05:36 PM

348 posts, read 429,922 times
Price's Chicken in uptown (not open on Sunday's). It's been open since the 1960's and has the best fried chicken in charlotte, hands down! Not an eat-in joint, you run in and grab your chicken and eat the greasy goodness out! Fantastic!!!!

Old 04-24-2007, 05:53 PM

222 posts, read 690,983 times
Default Price's

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisaf View Post
Price's Chicken in uptown (not open on Sunday's). It's been open since the 1960's and has the best fried chicken in charlotte, hands down! Not an eat-in joint, you run in and grab your chicken and eat the greasy goodness out! Fantastic!!!!
So true!!!

Old 09-07-2008, 06:04 PM

578 posts, read 2,598,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Don't knock it til you try it - that is some damn fine eatin'
You said it!!!!

Old 09-07-2008, 06:56 PM

714 posts, read 2,305,563 times
Ladies & Gentlemen I give you The Flying Biscuit Cafe' in Stonecrest.

Amazing biscuits. Fantastic grits. I have set eight different (and I mean wildly different) people onto this place and all of them love it.

TFBC began in Atlanta. The Stonecrest location is the only one that is not based in Atlanta.

I only discovered it 6 weeks ago and I am in love. It is my southern soul food heaven. I cannot eat there without getting a biscuit and grits - this sometimes limits me when any of those other 8 people drag me there for lunch or dinner.

Old 09-07-2008, 07:26 PM

747 posts, read 2,104,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisaf View Post
We went there a few weeks ago after seeing another post mention it. Walking back to the car with our food, we noticed that alongside the road was a pile of chicken bones that must have stretched a block long. I guess people eat in their cars and throw the bones out the windows. Kinda weird! The chicken was awesome, and I had gizzards that were the best I had ever had.

Old 09-07-2008, 07:31 PM

7,126 posts, read 11,697,656 times
Default Shrimp and grits

One of the best dishes you can have. The first time I had it was at The lady and her Son in Sav. Here is the recipe from her cook book

Shrimp and Grits with Mariana Sauce
Serves 4-6

2 med. Vidalia onions
i large green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
2 tbs veg. oil
1 pound shrimp peeled and deviened
Cayenne pepper
Chili powder 6 servings creamy white grits cooked in milk or chick. b roth
2-3 cup Marinara sauce 1/4 cup frshly grated Parm. cheese
1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley or basil

Saute the onions and bell pepper in oil until crisp-tender. Add the shrimp and saute until pink, 2-3 minutes.Season with cayenne peppper and chili powder to taste. Add the cooked grits. Spoon grits into indiv. bowls and ladle half cup Mariana sauce over each serving. Sprinkle w/Parm. cheese and parsley or basil. Re-season if necessary with cay. pep. and chil. powder. Serve with crusty bread.
Mariana sauce
4 tbs oil
1 med onion
1 green pep. diced
2 tbs minced garlic
1 tbs chopped basil
1 tbs chopped fresh thyme
1 tbs chopped oregan1/2 cup red wine
(2) 28 ounce diced tom
(2) 20 oz. can tom. sauce
2 tbs sugar

Heat the oil in large, heavy pot over med. heat then saute the onions bell pep., and garlic until garlic is translucent. Stir often to keep the veg. from sticking. Add the herbs and stir 1 min. Add the diced tom. and stir 2 min. Add tom. sauce, sugar. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring occas. for 2 hrs. The longer it cooks the thicker it gets. Freeze any extra.

Break out that bottle of wine you thought was so special. Don't get impressed by the label or the Italian lingo on it. It's all hype. Ask your amante if she would like to serve your Shrimp and grits on the finest china you have and then retire to dream about life when Shrimp and Grits was for the po' folk and not $25 a plate in today's trendy restaurants.

Excuse my typing and layout. I hate doing things that require patience..but enjoy the dish
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte