U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2008, 10:00 AM

1,865 posts, read 4,795,391 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NintyFresh View Post
I'm Italian, was born an Italian citizen and I'm now a naturalized American, so I hold a dual citizenship for both countries. My parents (in Philly now) and grandparents (plus the rest of my family, all still living in Italy) are all from the same town in the province of Bari in Italy, Castellana Grotte. My family has been there and in the surrounding towns of Putignano, Poligano a Mare and Monopoli for centuries, just my parents, uncle, and myself were the first to move to the states in the 80s. I pretty much grew up in South Philadelphia, and the Philly suburbs, but I'm in Charlotte now for college at Winthrop and to live here after graduation. The one thing I miss is my family's cooking. My nonna makes excellent porpette, fried zucchinis and zucchini flowers, as well as panzerotti (my favorite). My dad and uncle are both chefs up in the Philly area, and they cook like my nonna, so I miss it a lot down here. My dad at least plans to move down here eventually.

As for Italian musicians, Andrea Bocelli is one my parents listen to all the time. Some of my friends that are Italian-Americans in Philly sing opera professionally as well.

Zucchini flowers....YUM...haven't had them in years. My mother used to make them all the time.

BxRosie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2008, 11:49 AM

56 posts, read 157,397 times
Default Italians in Charlotte

Ciao-There are many Italian-Americans in Charlotte, primarily those that have moved here from the Northeast, but not that many Italians from Italy. However, I know many of the Italians from Italy that reside here because my friend Nada has a business teaching Italian language and she takes tour groups to Tuscany. She is very well-connected, and her website is ::Nada's Italy::. If you have any further questions or would like to be introduced to her, feel free to contact me at deb0624@yahoo.com
Ciao, Deb

Old 08-14-2008, 05:28 PM

256 posts, read 1,046,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake Ryan View Post
100% here....
With a name like Jake Ryan?! LOL! j/k

Old 08-14-2008, 05:31 PM

256 posts, read 1,046,695 times
[quote=Jake Ryan;622177]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BKQC View Post
Their name escapes me now, but there is an Italian / American club in Charlotte that puts on a small get together in the Wachovia Atrium every summer.

I was at a Taste of Charlotte last year, the Italian American club had a food stand and they had "Cannoli" spelled incorrectly on their banner. I just shook my head and walked on.
How do you spell "Cannoli?"

Old 08-15-2008, 04:48 AM

2,152 posts, read 6,070,551 times
[quote=Mom2jacknjess;4861970]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake Ryan View Post

How do you spell "Cannoli?"
That's how you spell it....they had it spelled incorrectly on their banner. Proper spelling is a pet peeve of mine.

OH, BTW Jake's not my real name....it's a name of a character in a movie.

Old 08-29-2008, 07:32 PM

168 posts, read 431,616 times
I feel much better reading this post

My husband and I look like Tony & Carmela Soprano..No Kidding

I stopped wearing my gold hoops, and Colorful lip & nail color!

Believe me we get looks....

I traded in my italian bread for biscuits

ciao!

Old 08-30-2008, 09:21 AM

4,222 posts, read 6,731,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuvoletta View Post
My family and I will move to south charlotte in june, My husband is american but I'm italian. Any italian in charlotte?
Charlotte metro has a population of 2 million. It would virtually be impossible not to have an Italian population here. I would suggest looking up Charlotte demographics on the net. Charlotte is pretty international. You will not be alone.

Old 08-30-2008, 09:37 AM

4,222 posts, read 6,731,996 times
BKQC, maybe you should join the Italian Club. You will be able to brush up on your spelling. LOL. Cannoli is spelled c-a-n-n-o-l-i as you read it. You didn't need to shake your head an walk away afterall.

Old 09-01-2008, 07:57 AM

25 posts, read 58,774 times
check out www.italianmeetup.com - a social group of italians and ital-lovers in charlotte area who meet once a month to parla and eat....

Old 09-01-2008, 10:40 AM

145 posts, read 399,214 times
Talking I'm an American of italian descent

I'm 100% italian from Chicago and I would like to take my parents down to Charlotte to live. We have pretty much had it with Chicago since most of their friends have died or moved away. We would feel right at home around fellow paisanos. They are from the Naples area of Italy, so I don't know how they would be treated by the northerners.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or