Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2009, 05:40 PM

2,115 posts, read 7,085,688 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldsmobile View Post
Has anyone ever donated supplies to teachers? I've heard that teachers, in addition to being underpaid and overworked, sometimes have to pay for supplies out of pocket!

Do I just bring the supplies to the school and drop them off in the teachers' lounge?
I doubt many schools would be open to the above, unfortunately. But ...

Great organization below!

DonorsChoose.org: An online charity connecting you to classrooms in need

The above site connects you to classrooms in need. Its founder is/was a teacher. There are schools in NC too.

Copied from their site:

Here's how it works: public school teachers from every corner of America post classroom project requests on DonorsChoose.org. Requests range from pencils for a poetry writing unit, to violins for a school recital, to microscope slides for a biology class.

Then, you can browse project requests and give any amount to the one that makes your eye twinkle. Once a project reaches its funding goal, we deliver the materials to the school.

You'll get photos of your project taking place, a thank-you letter from the teacher, and a cost report showing how each dollar was spent. If you give over $100, you'll also receive hand-written thank-you letters from the students.

At DonorsChoose.org, you can give as little as $1 and get the same level of choice, transparency, and feedback that is traditionally reserved for someone who gives millions. We call it citizen philanthropy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2009, 05:42 PM

2,115 posts, read 7,085,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmhousesearch View Post
I was just getting ready to type that as well. We've donated to the local DSS for back to school supplies.

In Mecklenburg county, here's the description of the back to school drive:

Back-To-School Supplies:
  • This summertime campaign matches select groups with special families in need of back to school supplies for their children. These families are screened and referred by their social workers. For those who want just to contribute, a school supply collection is also held each year so that we may assist the social workers in meeting the needs of their clients. Sturdy book bags and/or backpacks are needed for all ages and are the most requested item. Other needs include: Alarm clocks, ink pens, rulers, calculators (regular and scientific), 3-ring binders (2 inches), loose leaf paper, composition books, etc. We would be glad to work with you to tailor a drive to your group's needs. Donations of school supplies are needed year round, with a greater need in July and January. Please call the Community Resources at 704-336-4809 in July to register to participate.
Their website is Volunteer or Contribute Today! (http://www.charmeck.org/Departments/DSS/Community+Resources+Office/Volunteer+or+Contribute+Today%21.htm - broken link)

If kids are wanting to start their own drive, they can ask friends, neighbors, church members, etc., and volunteer to either be a drop off place or volunteer to pick up supplies, and deliver to the office. I'm sure the number above can give you more information, and if you're not in the exact area, perhaps they can direct you to someone closer.
This is awesome information! Thanks.

Old 08-03-2009, 05:58 PM

201 posts, read 670,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saralee View Post
This is awesome information! Thanks.
Thank you for the kind words!

I just realized the website said to call in July, however, from my past experience, they will also accept donations after the deadline.

It's great to see teenagers getting involved as well. Hats off the to parents who set great examples to the kids wanting to get involved.

Himain, what a great topic to start on the forum!

Old 08-03-2009, 07:08 PM

240 posts, read 731,924 times
Cool finally

daughter is doing a Back To Supply Drive in our neighborhood.

Thanks for all the info.

Just need some ideas of where she can then drop off the supplies once they are collected.

Old 08-03-2009, 09:16 PM

1,031 posts, read 2,426,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldsmobile View Post
Has anyone ever donated supplies to teachers? I've heard that teachers, in addition to being underpaid and overworked, sometimes have to pay for supplies out of pocket!

Do I just bring the supplies to the school and drop them off in the teachers' lounge?
We "adopt" a teacher or two every school year. Typically it is our children's teacher, but not always. We usually go a couple of days before school starts and find out what they need mostly, then get it for them. Many teachers pay out of pocket for supplies and even text books. We always drop a big box of paper towels, pencils, erasers, wipes, sandwich bags, crayons, construction paper etc. I also leave my business card with them and make sure they know that they can call if they need something. Teachers are absolutely getting hammered right now in a lot of school districts so the more we can do, the better for our kids.

Old 08-03-2009, 09:24 PM

797 posts, read 3,295,130 times
With Love from Jesus -Joy McGuire. She is a great woman. Here is the advertisement she is asking for school supplies:
Donations needed Backpacks, school supplies for With Love From Jesus (http://charlotte.craigslist.org/com/1284946398.html - broken link)
You can also read about what she does for the homeless in this article:
Friend to the friendless (http://www.worldnewspaperpublishing.com/news/FullStory.asp?loc=TCW&ID=1349 - broken link)

Old 08-15-2014, 04:43 AM

309 posts, read 765,898 times
As a teacher, I just want to say thank you to everyone talking about trying to donate supplies! We are always grateful for anything that will help in the classroom!

Don't forget to check with your house of worship. Last year our principal's church took up a collection and they donated a bunch of pens, paper, pencils, markers, tissues and hand sanitizer. They dropped it off at the main office and we could take what we needed!

Universally, tissues and hand sanitizer are always in short supply. This is something that works at all grade levels, too.

Also, if you have bought extra personal hygiene items and are looking to donate them, check with your local middle or high school or A Child's Place.

Old 08-15-2014, 07:12 AM

533 posts, read 936,167 times
You closest/local churches should all be doing drives atm. You can drop stuff off there for sure.

Old 08-16-2014, 08:53 AM

870 posts, read 3,528,010 times
most schools in the area do school supply drives.

best place is Classroom Central.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte