U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2009, 05:31 PM

7,181 posts, read 11,203,412 times

Advertisements

Maybe I'm spoiled by growing up with New York City news and then Washington, DC news in most of my adult life. Frankly, I think the Charlotte TV news is HORRIBLE! It's a step above the closed circuit broadcast they do at the local high school.

I'll watch WCNC only because they are the best of the worst. However, the woman anchor in the morning is enough to make you turn the channel, but her co-anchor and Larry Sprinkle are pretty good. The 11PM news is ok, but I dislike the sports guys, Greg Bailey. His smug attitude was one thing, but one night he really ticked me. He was droning on about local sports (not much there to talk about!) and the subject of Brett Farve playing for the Vikings came up. He flat out stated that he didn't care about Brett Favre and the story didn't warrant his time, so he moved on. What an idiot! I'm not the biggest Favre fan out there, but I'd rather hear about that than some local high school badminton intramural. Geesh! Remember that in depth report about germs on the lemons in iced tea? Cutting edge stuff there!!!

Let's not discuss the stupid "teasers" all of the news programs do down here. "Find out what happens when the engine cuts out on a plane in flight. We'll tell you in our exclusive report after this break. Only our cameras were there!" Who cares! Just report the d*mned story with no games!

OK - so that is why I get my news from the internet!!!

Last edited by Stripes17; 08-03-2009 at 05:33 PM.. Reason: add
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2009, 06:50 PM

7,041 posts, read 13,109,142 times
WBTV, but, turn it off before the sports. Delano refuses to report any baseball news...I guess that he does not know from baseball...but, after countless e-mails suggesting it and asking; basically, he just refuses. THAT is a deal breaker for me!!

So, then I watch WGN-TV (Chicago news). Also Tom Skilling has a great sense of humour and sometimes even refers to Carolina weather.

Old 08-03-2009, 07:05 PM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,551 posts, read 9,275,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripes17 View Post
Let's not discuss the stupid "teasers" all of the news programs do down here. "Find out what happens when the engine cuts out on a plane in flight. We'll tell you in our exclusive report after this break. Only our cameras were there!"

Meaning "we were the only sneaky sonsab*tches able to hoodwink security into getting sh*t into areas it doesn't belong in".

"Find out how we were able to get this crate of TNT into the overhead compartments of a US Airways flight bound for LaGuardia. Find out what isn't being done to keep explosive materials off of your flight".....

Because it's always MY flight that this crap happens to.

Old 08-03-2009, 09:01 PM

4,010 posts, read 8,928,478 times
  • WBTV 3 CBS - The way over the top acting of the news anchors ends it for me.
  • WSOC 9 ABC - Reporting geared towards trailer trash
  • WCNC 36 NBC - Tolerable news but I can't take the screaming during the low class car and rug commercials
  • WCCB 18 Fox - Is there really a news program on this station?

Old 08-04-2009, 08:30 AM

187 posts, read 496,058 times
I always liked News 14 before I went to DirecTV. You got 95% straight news without the other idiocy.

The thing that kills it for me with WBTV is how EVERYTHING is "breaking news". You hear the same little liner and they go to a helicopter shot of a fender bender off Ballantyne Commons or something. It gets a little old.

WCNC and Channel 9 seem a little small-market to me. WCNC's 4 and 4:30 newscasts are passable.

I'm also wondering if anyone on FOX could spare 3 bucks in the budget to get Rebecca Clark some Visine. Every time I ever watch her in HD on the 10, her eyes look like a 1980s road map. That aside, the newscast is, to borrow Suthun' parlance, fair to middlin'.

I wish some of the "regular" news channels in CLT would start snapping up News 14 anchors again.

Old 08-04-2009, 08:34 AM

6,772 posts, read 11,871,975 times
Channel 36. I <3 Larry Sprinkle and his fabulous hair!

Old 08-04-2009, 08:40 AM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,551 posts, read 9,275,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sophialee View Post
Channel 36. I <3 Larry Sprinkle and his fabulous hair!

I'd love to sneak up behind him, seconds before his portion of the broadcast, and give him noogies.

Geez...his hair might not even move.

He has hair like former NHL referee Kerry Fraser. He'd start a game with nary a hair out of place and finish it looking exactly the same way. It's almost like these guys dunk their heads in buckets of Aquanet.

Old 08-04-2009, 08:46 AM

1,472 posts, read 3,661,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLTKing View Post
I saw this post in the Raleigh forum and I thought it would be interesting to bring it to our neck of the woods.
So what local news channel do you watch? Is there a preference for transplants and natives? I find the TV news Charlotte market to be very antiquated. Usually the anchors are either right out of school or ready to retire. Most stutter reading the news, and need current wore droves and haircuts, not from the 70ís or 80ís. Also the graphics that they use tell us if it is going to rain or not are pretty bad. For example, in Channel 9 the topography is colored green, and the shades of light rain are green as well, so you canít tell whether it is raining or not. Anyways, to answer my own question, I prefer Channel 36.
I posted a poll for you!

Old 08-04-2009, 09:06 AM

6,772 posts, read 11,871,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH1970 View Post
I'd love to sneak up behind him, seconds before his portion of the broadcast, and give him noogies.

Geez...his hair might not even move.

He has hair like former NHL referee Kerry Fraser. He'd start a game with nary a hair out of place and finish it looking exactly the same way. It's almost like these guys dunk their heads in buckets of Aquanet.
Hahaha! He has a Hair Helmet for sure!

Old 08-04-2009, 02:19 PM

11 posts, read 16,930 times
WBTV is the best! Maureen O'Boyle is great
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte