Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2009, 03:04 PM

2,560 posts, read 6,824,617 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvinnative View Post
WCNC Cable 6 (Channel 36) - I'm a native

I watch this channel because of Sonia Gantt and Larry Sprinkle. Both have long-time connections to this area and they can actually pronounce the names of local towns, streets, etc.
I like Larry Sprinkle, maybe because he's a weatherman with the last name "Sprinkle"! In So Cal 2 of our local weathermen were Dallas Raines and Johnny Mountain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2009, 03:06 PM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,555 posts, read 10,400,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nascarnancy View Post
I like Larry Sprinkle, maybe because he's a weatherman with the last name "Sprinkle"! In So Cal 2 of our local weathermen were Dallas Raines and Johnny Mountain.

Back north we had Storm Field.

Yes....Storm Field.

Old 08-03-2009, 03:14 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,444,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marvinnative View Post
WCNC Cable 6 (Channel 36) - I'm a native

I watch this channel because of Sonia Gantt and Larry Sprinkle. Both have long-time connections to this area and they can actually pronounce the names of local towns, streets, etc.
I'm with MN on this one . . .

I do surf the other channels, tho.

Old 08-03-2009, 03:16 PM

22,313 posts, read 29,395,806 times
Wcnc..I watch it and then some Conan and lala land after..If I make it that far..

Old 08-03-2009, 03:28 PM

3,564 posts, read 5,513,503 times
Also whatever channel it is Maureen O'Boyle is on.

And news14 for Heather Childers.

Old 08-03-2009, 03:30 PM
CVP

581 posts, read 1,904,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLTKing View Post
I've noticed that too. They keep lingering on the same news over and over, sometimes months later you hear "an update". For example, when that plane crashed on the water in NYC. It was on the news for ever. Three months later, "Co-pilot comes to Charlotte"...."Plane was hit but Canada geese"....
I also believe some of their stories are "cooked up." Afterall, they do have a time slot to fill! Talk about pressure. They go in their meetings and say "Let's see, what can we do a story on today to fill our time?" One creative individual then says "Well, times are tough, so I bet people are returning to comfort foods. Let's do a story it." They don't really know that it's true, but they send their junior woodchuck reporter out to get one quote from one grocer and then voila, it's on the air and Joe Public believes it must be true because he saw it on the "news."

Old 08-03-2009, 03:43 PM

140 posts, read 272,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH1970 View Post
Back north we had Storm Field.

Yes....Storm Field.
I remember Storm Field!

Old 08-03-2009, 04:06 PM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,555 posts, read 10,400,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexih View Post
I remember Storm Field!

The same way there's no more appropriate name for a traffic guy than Chuck Roads, there's no better name for a weather guy than Storm Field.

Old 08-03-2009, 04:29 PM

5,293 posts, read 5,235,122 times
I like WBTV....Eric Thomas is by far the most accurate of the local weathermen, (I say that even though I'm friends w/ Brad Panovich who is a fellow Ohio State grad)...plus, WCNC was the last to still broadcast in standard def, the other channels went to HD long beforehand...plus, CBS is usually the station I watch the most anyways (I like the CSI shows, and Criminal Minds and Without a Trace), so it makes no sense to change the channel when they all show the same news anyway.

Old 08-03-2009, 04:40 PM

23,810 posts, read 34,654,152 times
WCNC. The owners appear to realize that Charlotte is going up in the market rankings & have staffed appropriately. It's the most like the Philly station that I watched for years (when I wasn't at work).

Having worked as a broadcast tech for many years, I just have to say that beating a story to death is what they do in the major markets, so I'm used to it.

Also, there's no worse critic that the broadcast techs. We know the nightmares that can happen onair & will allow for it when watching, but when you are a "captive audience" for years, you know when the onair talent is no good.

The usual pecking order is for the networks to take new people from the major markets & the major markets take new people from large markets, etc. The younger anchors on WCNC are not straight out of school.

As for the other newscasts, although Maureen O'Boyle is excellent, & her male counterpart is good, the rest of them were horrible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte