U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2009, 01:51 PM

8,234 posts, read 9,551,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacherchick24 View Post
Thanks so much for some great advice. I think you're right that I do need to get more involved with the HOA and meet some of the neighbors.

CouponJack - You are essentially calling me a liar - "not getting the whole story, as usual" and telling me that it's my fault for having barking/uncontrollable dogs. Did I ever say my dogs barked?? No, I said we stop them from barking! If they do, we give them a command to stop or bring them inside. And do you know me? Do you know my whole story?
I think you must be angry with someone from your own neighborhood. Why don't you take it up with them instead of me.
I have no problem w/my subdivision or neighbors..if you've read my previous posts, you know that I love my HOA development.

The problem I have is when posters come on here looking for answers THEY want to hear (and try to paint a picture of a one-sided story). When they get some blunt advice, they get all emotional, and offended.

This typically happens w/people who can't sell their homes. They come on here and make all kinds of excuses why they're priced right, etc., blah, blah, blah...(its not their fault of course), but when you start digging, you pretty much understand where the fault lies....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2009, 02:13 PM

1,852 posts, read 3,213,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lumbollo View Post
OK to summarize:
  • You said you were looking for advice from the people here because you have unfriendly neighbors and a vindictive HOA.
  • You don't cause any problems for your neighbors or neighborhood so you just don't understand this treatment.
  • Must be some people that have stopped everything else to have time to put your house under constant surveillance, so they can report even a few blades of grass out of place and dogs happily sitting well behaved in front yard.
  • You think that people here who suggested you might have a part to play in the HOA complaints is judging you, even calling you a liar and other despicable things. i.e. people are unfair here, just like your neighbors.
  • Your HOA has sent you so many warnings that you simply can't remember all the rules they say you violated.
  • You have no idea what goes on at your house while you are gone, so presumably you are not at fault when something happens.
  • Your husband didn't bother to read the HOA bylaws even though you live in a house bound by them via the deed. Careless "hubby" might have broken rules but people should be understanding since he doesn't know the rules.
  • You are upset that your neighbors are so unfriendly that none of them will even come and say hello let alone invite you to their social events.
OK my advice is this, since you are asking. Put your house on the market and find another neighborhood where there is no HOA. Make sure the neighbors want to include you in their activities and who would not find fault with anything that you do. It's the only solution that I can see unless of course, you decide that you are going learn to learn to live with with what you have now. It really couldn't be easier than that.
Wow what great advice and summary. (Sarcasm off) Are you bored and like to write fiction in your spare time. Why even write this?

I am just amazed and how bitter people have become. Asking for advice even if you might have done wrong is a bad thing? Mmany people have given about reaching out to the folks around you and get involved in the HOA, positive constructive advice. This can even be a vent space, so without even knowing the OP, you are all over her case. What comes around goes around right? And to even use another cliche' "People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones". Cause everyone else is perfect. So when you do something possibly wrong and ask for advice.l. I am sure we can just tell you to suck it up or move.

Old 08-04-2009, 02:25 PM

192 posts, read 306,300 times
Teacherchick,

First, I am sorry that you have had these negative experiences with the HC HOA.

Each village has a representative who sits on the HOA board. You should first find out who your village rep is and talk to him/her about the infractions. Depending on the situation, you may have one busybody in your village who complains about every little detail, or you may have a bunch of neighbors who complained. Either way, the HOA is required to respond to complaints.

As for meeting people, I took the initiative to go out and speak to my neighbors when I saw them out and about. I didn't knock on anybody's door to introduce myself, but if they were working in the yard and I was headed out, I stopped to introduce myself. It probably took me about 6 months to finally meet everybody in my cul de sac, but we are all very friendly now. That certainly isn't always the case in some parts of HC, though.

Anyways, my main advice would be not to let it get to you. If these really were isolated incidents (and we have no reason to believe that they aren't), you'll be fine. Just try to continue to be a good, friendly neighbor (which it sounds like you want to be), and people will reciprocate. Those who don't...well...at least you'll have identified the jerks and be able to avoid them!

Old 08-04-2009, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whytewulf View Post
Wow what great advice and summary. (Sarcasm off) Are you bored and like to write fiction in your spare time. Why even write this?

I am just amazed and how bitter people have become. Asking for advice even if you might have done wrong is a bad thing? Mmany people have given about reaching out to the folks around you and get involved in the HOA, positive constructive advice. This can even be a vent space, so without even knowing the OP, you are all over her case. What comes around goes around right? And to even use another cliche' "People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones". Cause everyone else is perfect. So when you do something possibly wrong and ask for advice.l. I am sure we can just tell you to suck it up or move.
Whatever happened to personal responsibility or not to try to blame everyone else first?.....it's NEVER my fault, right?

The OP comes on and in one post blames a "vindictive" neighbor AND the HOA.......

Some of us haven't fallen off the turnip truck and can put 2 + 2 together and figure out where the fault lies.....thats all I'm sayin'....

The problem is no one's probably told her this and just let her vent her frustrations....Some times you just need to be told the truth.

Its a CONSPIRACY against her I tell ya.......

Old 08-04-2009, 02:29 PM

So if she had said.. "I screwed up, any advice.." You would have been ok and said, here is what I would do?

Well HC is a cult.. I mean, I drive in there and never can get out very easily. So she may not be drinking the Kool Aide quick enough for them, so they are hazing her!

Old 08-04-2009, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whytewulf View Post
So if she had said.. "I screwed up, any advice.." You would have been ok and said, here is what I would do!
I'm in outside sales and there is no shame in admitting when you've screwed up. There's nothing more aggravating then talking to someone who ALWAYS thinks people are against them or gives excuses all the time for something not going right. And they'll always "sugar coat" a situation to make it seem more believable in their favor......hook, line, and sinker to what we have here....

Take some personal responsibility for your actions and don't blame the world.....sheesh

Old 08-04-2009, 02:51 PM

I am ok with taking personal responsability.. (Though I never did say she screwed up, just a scenario) but no one here actually knows all the details, so I am ok with taking the OP at their word until they are proved otherwise. Just as I would take your word.

By the way.. I read a really good article about an HOA law possibly being looked at limiting their rights, i.e. leans, etc. Something in the new forclusre rules the gov't is putting together.

I wonder how HOA's even work in places like Florida.. since they can fine you all they want, but no one can ever take your house. But I digress.. and regress to the ingress.

Old 08-04-2009, 02:52 PM

5,141 posts, read 4,571,987 times
Default Thanking you for the re-cap

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumbollo View Post
OK to summarize:
  • You said you were looking for advice from the people here because you have unfriendly neighbors and a vindictive HOA.
  • You don't cause any problems for your neighbors or neighborhood so you just don't understand this treatment.
  • Must be some people that have stopped everything else to have time to put your house under constant surveillance, so they can report even a few blades of grass out of place and dogs happily sitting well behaved in front yard.
  • You think that people here who suggested you might have a part to play in the HOA complaints is judging you, even calling you a liar and other despicable things. i.e. people are unfair here, just like your neighbors.
  • Your HOA has sent you so many warnings that you simply can't remember all the rules they say you violated.
  • You have no idea what goes on at your house while you are gone, so presumably you are not at fault when something happens.
  • Your husband didn't bother to read the HOA bylaws even though you live in a house bound by them via the deed. Careless "hubby" might have broken rules but people should be understanding since he doesn't know the rules.
  • You are upset that your neighbors are so unfriendly that none of them will even come and say hello let alone invite you to their social events.
OK my advice is this, since you are asking. Put your house on the market and find another neighborhood where there is no HOA. Make sure the neighbors want to include you in their activities and who would not find fault with anything that you do. It's the only solution that I can see unless of course, you decide that you are going learn to learn to live with with what you have now. It really couldn't be easier than that.
After 26 posts sometimes we lose our way on these forum boards. Thanks for this summary and good advise. (BTW she does ask for advise in her first sentence).
With a loss of memory each day to a brain cell dying with each martini, I appreciate this update especially with some many people dancing around the room so quickly.
Serious w/a touch of humor,
je

Old 08-04-2009, 03:32 PM

1,039 posts, read 1,677,743 times
I'm confused, are some of you saying that never before has any HOA ever made a mistake? That they never send out hasty letters or that every single time an HOA has made a complaint it has been 100% justified. I mean all we have is the OP version so why are we inventing the HOA's version? Weird progress on this one, CD.

Old 08-04-2009, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkleoni1 View Post
I'm confused, are some of you saying that never before has any HOA ever made a mistake? That they never send out hasty letters or that every single time an HOA has made a complaint it has been 100% justified. I mean all we have is the OP version so why are we inventing the HOA's version? Weird progress on this one, CD.
Yes, its all a coincidence...

ONLY a couple weeds on the lawn and by the mailbox for a 'short' period of time.

Dog NEVER barked...just immediately sat on the front lawn.

Vindictive HOA.....

Neighbors are all nasty, never introduce themselves and they spy.

I could see one thing, but 4? C'mon, use some common sense....

This doesn't pass the smell test IMO...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte