Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2009, 08:42 AM

11,839 posts, read 28,945,346 times

Advertisements

I have to sit back & laugh when I hear people talk about the MSM and Fox News. Fox is part of the MSM. They just have a different slant. My wife watches Fox exclusively while I get all of my news from a couple online sources, not wiki-whatever...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2009, 08:48 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,464,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damemeow View Post
I watch MSNBC, CNN and BBC America...I also listen to NPR. On Sundays I watch the McLaughlin Group, Chris Matthews and Meet the Press. I don't think the media suppresses news...I think that most citizens close themselves off from stuff they don't want to hear and pick and choose their news a la carte style.

But why is any of this Charlotte specific...shouldn't this thread have been moved 2 pages ago?
Local channels are tied into national channels, usually.

I watch the public service channels sometimes. CPCC has some good interviews on at times. I even watch the city and county commissioner meetings (well, listen to them in the background).

I think we need stronger investigative reporting on our local news outlets and would like to see more of that - really digging into issues - and not just crime blotter re-hashes. We all know there is gonna be a shooting overnight, somewhere, in this city.

Old 08-06-2009, 08:52 AM

693 posts, read 2,175,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Local channels are tied into national channels, usually.

I watch the public service channels sometimes. CPCC has some good interviews on at times. I even watch the city and county commissioner meetings (well, listen to them in the background).

I think we need stronger investigative reporting on our local news outlets and would like to see more of that - really digging into issues - and not just crime blotter re-hashes. We all know there is gonna be a shooting overnight, somewhere, in this city.
Fair enough, I have to admit that with all the relocating I have done the past decade...I have become rather lapse about investing my attention to local news/ issues. It often just doesn't show up on my radar :-)

Old 08-06-2009, 09:00 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,464,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damemeow View Post
Fair enough, I have to admit that with all the relocating I have done the past decade...I have become rather lapse about investing my attention to local news/ issues. It often just doesn't show up on my radar :-)
Well, to be truthful, you won't find much, LOL.

I find good stuff on UNC-TV:

UNC-TV ONLINE ~ North Carolina's Statewide Television Network

For example, I want to see this:

UNC-TV ONLINE: Voices of North Carolina (http://www.unctv.org/voicesofnc/ - broken link)

and I like this program:

UNC-TV ONLINE: Almanac Gardener:

Old 08-06-2009, 09:12 AM

3,062 posts, read 7,031,298 times
Quote:
Is it just me that thinks media supresses news
When did you become such an egomaniac? People have been claiming this since the day news started. Did you think you were the first one to notice?

Old 08-06-2009, 11:46 AM

4,348 posts, read 7,353,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZnGuy View Post
I read alot of news on internet MSN, CNN, Bloomberg and a couple of out of town newspapers and Observer. I'm working out at Y and switching thru 4 TVs and listen to Fox and see town hall rallys including about 8-10,000 in Ohio rallying about Healthcare. I also see the Senator from PA (can't remember name) that was a Dem switched to Rep and went back to Dem. He is getting reamed by some citizens. I also heard how the current administration strong armed the TV stations to broadcast his press conference on Healthcare, amazing. I will say this about Fox, at least do report the news. I do think there is a grassroots revolution development going on and we are losing our freedoms and the liberal media is trying to supress what REALLY is going on.
The media is a business. I have had little trust in the media from Viet Nam to date. They have their own goals, and it is selling the news, and gaining power. I don’t think they would recognize the truth if it ran over them with a truck. If they did they would change it to sell more copies. The best thing to happen for us new addicts is the World Wide Web. It makes it much harder for us to be lied too.

Old 08-06-2009, 11:54 AM

182 posts, read 440,033 times
Default Fox News are you serious?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZnGuy View Post
... I will say this about Fox, at least do report the news. I do think there is a grassroots revolution development going on and we are losing our freedoms and the liberal media is trying to supress what REALLY is going on.
Z, Fox News is so right-wing biased, I really can't stand to listen to the filtered rationalization. Folks at Fox are greatly responsible for spreading fear and increasing the public's anxiety to all new levels. Sorry friend, but I find those folks inept, uninformed and sold out! To be fair all news media suppress information and manipulate viewers into a polarized frenzy of lemmings. Fox does it with hot blond, leggy women to make swallow the pill easier.

Last edited by Shamwow!; 08-06-2009 at 12:24 PM..

Old 08-06-2009, 12:21 PM

2,221 posts, read 4,390,492 times
Fox does it with hot blond, leggy women to make swallow the pill easier.

Works for me!

Old 08-06-2009, 05:46 PM

1,031 posts, read 2,426,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coped View Post
I don't think they're writing the discontent off as lunacy, except maybe the birthers. I mean, they are lunatics. But a lot of this health care discontent is manufactured by lobbyist groups. Acting as if it's grass-roots is too simplistic. There are playbooks going around for people to disrupt town hall meetings. I think media has an obligation to uncover the facts and make connections betwwen them, no matter which political party looks bad in the process. I think CNN comes closest to that, though they do a lot of coverage of crap. Fox News is bought and sold by the right wing and I don't trust a word of it. They didn't cover the "tea parties" they were cheerleaders and organizers of them. And they're pumping up this fake outrage. MSNBC is almost as bad on the left.

I don't think "reading the facts as they happen" is enough for a news organization.

BTW, before you jump down my throat, I am sure there are many people against this health care reform, but there is no "spontaneous" movement against it. Someone is behind the shocktroops at the town halls.
Got proof, other than CNN and MSNBC?

Old 08-06-2009, 06:13 PM

160 posts, read 401,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lumbollo View Post
I think it is funny that people call ANY media in the USA "liberal". Americans have no idea what real liberal media is like. That has been eliminated from here for at least a generation. It's all corporate controlled media and just by a few individuals who are not interested in rocking the boat.
That's the 100% truth. In america, big business and corporations run the media. A story doesn't air unless it is approved by a corporate VP somewhere. I don't care what channel you're watching.

I'm pleasantly surprised so many people claim to listen to the BBC. I've always enjoyed getting an outsider's perspective. The BBC is a great source of info.

I wonder how many people have taken the time to listen/watch any middle eastern news networks over the past few years. It's shocking to see how the perspective is different. Might make quite a few of us feel differently about our current viewpoints.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte