Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2007, 10:48 AM

201 posts, read 804,161 times

Advertisements

We just moved here from Michigan. My husband is purchasing a car from a guy in Texas and bringing it here next week. I can't seem to find any clear information on how much tax we can expect to owe when registering the car in NC. (Not to mention the NCDOT website appears to be down at the moment)

Can anyone please explain what we might expect when registering our new car?

Thanks!

Tracie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2007, 12:12 PM

525 posts, read 1,804,462 times
Someone had a formula a while back, you can look at DMV site adn see..there is a highway use tax and a few other things to get tags and then about 3-4 months later you will get your tax bill.

Old 04-24-2007, 12:24 PM

Thank you! The NCDOT DMV site is finally back up and running. I see all of the figures now...everything except what the tax bill will be in 3-4 months. But at least it's a start.

Old 04-24-2007, 01:17 PM

525 posts, read 1,804,462 times
LOL we have a 2003 Yukon XL (surburban) and I think ours was less tahn 200 for the yr if that helps any!

Old 04-24-2007, 01:35 PM

Thanks...that helps. I can't find any info on how the vehicle tax is calculated, but it shouldn't be bad. My husband is purchasing an '05 Subaru Legacy. The man just loves wagons for some reason. That's okay, because it sure will hold alot more than my Infiniti G35 Coupe! That thing is tiny!

Old 04-24-2007, 01:44 PM

5,660 posts, read 27,001,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegeek74 View Post
We just moved here from Michigan. My husband is purchasing a car from a guy in Texas and bringing it here next week. I can't seem to find any clear information on how much tax we can expect to owe when registering the car in NC. (Not to mention the NCDOT website appears to be down at the moment)

Can anyone please explain what we might expect when registering our new car?

Thanks!

Tracie
NC resident at time of purchase - Vehicles purchased from anyone other than a dealer must pay a one-time 3% state tax (HUT) based on the vehicle's value according to a value table maintained by the North Carolina Division of Motor Vehicles.

Out-of-State resident at time of purchase - All transactions involving a vehicle titled out of state 90 days prior to registering in North Carolina will be taxed on vehicle value, with a maximum of $150.00 being assessed. If owned less than 90 days before applying for North Carolina Title, tax credit against the highway use tax due will be allowed for the amount of tax paid to the other state upon submission of proof of payment. If the vehicle was titled in North Carolina after 90 days of purchase from a dealer, no credit would be allowed. Full highway use tax would be due on the purchase price, less any trade-in credit.

Last edited by mm34b; 04-24-2007 at 02:25 PM..

Old 04-24-2007, 01:48 PM

Thanks...yes, I did see that 3% tax...the DMV site says that is a Highway Use Tax, but that another tax bill from the county will arrive within 4 months after registration. That is the number that I cannot find a formula on.

It's no big deal, I was just curious.

Thank you to everyone, though!

Old 04-24-2007, 01:53 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,518,175 times
far as the tax bill relating to county.
you will not find the county tax on the dot website you have to hope that it in the county you moving on website and I search some counties before and it is a pain in **** to find that information so I usually just look up the county tax assesor and ask them it consider a property tax

Old 04-24-2007, 02:01 PM

5,660 posts, read 27,001,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegeek74 View Post
Thanks...yes, I did see that 3% tax...the DMV site says that is a Highway Use Tax, but that another tax bill from the county will arrive within 4 months after registration. That is the number that I cannot find a formula on.

It's no big deal, I was just curious.

Thank you to everyone, though!
That's a yearly local property tax in which motor vehicles are just a part of, the same as land, homes, watercraft and other taxable personal property. When you register a motor vehicle with the state, they turnaround and notify your county of your new acquisition. Generally a combined county & city rate for those residents living within the city limits of a municipality. The tax rate varies greatly depending on your location within the state. Your county's local Department of Revenue would be the foremost source of current property tax rate information based on your specific home address.

Last edited by mm34b; 04-24-2007 at 02:21 PM..

Old 05-02-2007, 05:07 PM

928 posts, read 3,852,298 times
Gotta love it. One time highway useage tax on all vehicles to get registration then yearly property tax on the said vehicle. You have to continue to pay this everytime you aquire a new vehicle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte