Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2009, 10:18 AM

1,304 posts, read 4,321,931 times

Advertisements

Just got this note from the Village of Marvin:

Quote:
The Wesley Chapel Volunteer Fire Department will be conducting a training exercise/controlled burn on the two houses located on the Providence Downs South property at the corner of Waxhaw Marvin and New Town Roads. The training exercise will occur tonight (8/5) at 6 p.m. The fire department hopes to be finished with the exercise by 11 p.m.
Thought this might impact some commuters who cut through Marvin to get to I-485. Heads up!

P.S. I'll be really sad to see these old house go. The last of Marvin as I knew it growing up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2009, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvinnative View Post
Just got this note from the Village of Marvin:

Thought this might impact some commuters who cut through Marvin to get to I-485. Heads up!

P.S. I'll be really sad to see these old house go. The last of Marvin as I knew it growing up.
Drove by there this morning. Nothing left but the chimneys. Still smoldering a bit. Sorry to see these old landmark homes go. I knew the families well. Very few old family farmhouses left. I feel like a piece of me went up in smoke with them. Oh well, that's progress...

Old 08-06-2009, 07:51 AM

494 posts, read 1,349,936 times
So sad...they do not make homes like they used too. :-(

Old 08-06-2009, 08:07 AM

2,560 posts, read 6,829,469 times
The city I grew up in used to be dairy land, just read that it was the #1 city in the nation for dairy products (in the late 50's) surpassing Wisconsin! This was in So Cal about 15 miles from the beach. We had a dairy that backed up the the houses across the street from us and we loved it as kids. Watching calves being born, cows being milked, the owners let us kids ride the horse all the time too. I was so sad when they finally tore it down. I was 5 when we moved in and they tore it down when I was in college, I took some photo's before it was demolished. Now you would have to drive about 40 miles or so to see any dairies.

Old 08-06-2009, 08:24 AM

6,777 posts, read 13,553,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nascarnancy View Post
The city I grew up in used to be dairy land, just read that it was the #1 city in the nation for dairy products (in the late 50's) surpassing Wisconsin! This was in So Cal about 15 miles from the beach. We had a dairy that backed up the the houses across the street from us and we loved it as kids. Watching calves being born, cows being milked, the owners let us kids ride the horse all the time too. I was so sad when they finally tore it down. I was 5 when we moved in and they tore it down when I was in college, I took some photo's before it was demolished. Now you would have to drive about 40 miles or so to see any dairies.

Happy Cows come from California!

Which houses were they on Marvin Rd? I'm going to be driving down there in about an hour so I guess I'll figure it out.

Old 08-06-2009, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophialee View Post

Which houses were they on Marvin Rd? I'm going to be driving down there in about an hour so I guess I'll figure it out.
The two older white homes up on the hill at the intersection of Waxhaw-Marvin Rd. and New Town Rd. right in Marvin.

Old 08-06-2009, 09:42 AM

2,560 posts, read 6,829,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sophialee View Post

LOL, they were happy and a bit stinky, ha!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte