Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2007, 12:46 PM

1 posts, read 4,797 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are looking for an apartment in SW Charlotte. We were looking at Arbor Trace apartments on the corner of York Road, but they got a horrible rating on another website. Does anybody know of if that is a good, safe place to live? If not, can you give any recommendations in the area? (We were looking in this area because my husband is attending Gordon-Conwell Charlotte, which is on Choate.) Any help that you can give would be greatly appreciated!

Old 04-24-2007, 01:01 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,712,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pa_people View Post
My husband and I are looking for an apartment in SW Charlotte. We were looking at Arbor Trace apartments on the corner of York Road, but they got a horrible rating on another website. Does anybody know of if that is a good, safe place to live? If not, can you give any recommendations in the area? (We were looking in this area because my husband is attending Gordon-Conwell Charlotte, which is on Choate.) Any help that you can give would be greatly appreciated!
Do you mean hwy 49/South Tryon?

Can't tell you about the apartments, but that is generally a pretty safe part of town.

Old 04-24-2007, 04:09 PM

222 posts, read 691,180 times
Default SW Charlotte Apts

Please note I do not know the ratings on any of these apts. it is simply a start. Price range varies

Courtney Ridge
920 Yorkmont Ridge Lane, Charlotte, NC 28217
Contact by phone888) 544-8808

The Springs At Tyvola Centre
625 Cameron Walk Court, Charlotte, NC 28217
Contact by phone888) 474-2180

The Springs at Steele Creek
13301 Crescent Springs, Charlotte, NC 28273
Contact by phone866) 618-9794

Colonial Village At Stone Point
10900 Point South Drive, Charlotte, NC 28273
Contact by phone888) 834-2033

Colonial Village At South Tryon
7601 Holliswood Court, Charlotte, NC 28217
Contact by phone888) 724-8609

Old 04-24-2007, 04:10 PM

222 posts, read 691,180 times
Default SW Charlotte Apts

go to apartmentguide.com I think that if you call them they will send you a book.
There are others.

Old 04-24-2007, 05:04 PM

396 posts, read 1,434,837 times
You might also want to check out the crime map the police dept puts out-- just type in an address and you can find out more about the crimes near there...

http://maps.cmpdweb.org/

Old 04-24-2007, 06:00 PM

233 posts, read 906,682 times
Default Personally...

I am fine. I have lived here for 7 months, and no one bothers me. My car is fine. I specifically asked to live by the leasing office, because most complexes pay close attention to the front of the property. I haven't heard of anything bad happening here. I believe there was an issue where a bank was robbed in South Carolina, and the suspects had driven to this complex, but they were not residents, and the incident had nothing to do with this complex.

The 1 bedrooms are small, but if you are looking to buy a house within 1 year, it should serve the purpose.

Also, the sister property is 1 block down and they just opened in October 2006, called Magnolia.

Old 04-24-2007, 06:22 PM

249 posts, read 875,060 times
Have you looked at the apartments near tryon and shopton? I believe there are two there, Courtney Oaks maybe one? The reason I ask is because they are right across from the Police Academy. I drive by them daily and see alot of cops coming and going from the facility. I would think that would help.

I live in the Steel Creek area and when we looked we found the apartments to be crime magnets. We ended up renting a home until our house was built.

But to answer your question, it seems to me the farther south you go on tryon from the walmart/485 intersection the better. Also, the redistricting of the police (steel creek area has dropped the south blvd section I believe) has really helped them maintain a presence in the area.

Have you looked at apartmentratings.com? They have all sorts of user reviews, very good unbiased resource

Old 04-25-2007, 04:44 AM

390 posts, read 1,515,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by New2Charlotte View Post
Have you looked at the apartments near tryon and shopton? I believe there are two there, Courtney Oaks maybe one? The reason I ask is because they are right across from the Police Academy. I drive by them daily and see alot of cops coming and going from the facility. I would think that would help.

I live in the Steel Creek area and when we looked we found the apartments to be crime magnets. We ended up renting a home until our house was built.

But to answer your question, it seems to me the farther south you go on tryon from the walmart/485 intersection the better. Also, the redistricting of the police (steel creek area has dropped the south blvd section I believe) has really helped them maintain a presence in the area.

Have you looked at apartmentratings.com? They have all sorts of user reviews, very good unbiased resource
I'm not sure how unbiased I would consider apartmentratings.com. Any voluntary, non-random survey like that is loaded with survey bias. By their very nature, people who take the time to seek out an appriopriate site so they can post their opinion are generally not happy customers. It's the same principle as every customer service experience: you hear about the problems but not the happy transactions.

When we were looking for apartments I was concerned by some bad ratings, but then out of curiosity I checked out the ratings for the swanky apartments around the corner from our old house. Bad ratings there, too. It's the nature of both apartment living, and customer service/market research.

I'd rely more on the feedback from people who know the area and truly unbiased statistics like crime rates, etc. And this is a great place for that.

Good luck!

Old 04-25-2007, 11:00 AM

201 posts, read 804,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by New2Charlotte View Post

I only caution you about this site, because it is not always unbiased. I have been managing apartment communities here and in Michigan for over 10 years, and I am very familiar with this site from the mgt. perspective. While not all of it is inaccurate at all times, I have discovered alot of the information in many cases to be misleading. Please keep in mind that there are always people who "rant" about things and don't always have all of the facts before posting their side of the story. There isn't any sort of verification process with this site, so anyone can post anything they want & they don't even have to be a resident.

To go on to the other side of things, I had even become aware of some employees of the communities just going in a posting good things about themselves - pretending to be a resident so that their rating would go up.

It isn't necessarily a bad tool to use, please just keep an open mind and don't believe everything that you read.

There are better ways to find out about a community - as mentioned earlier - the police dept. is a great resource. I always recommend driving through the properties at different hours of the day and night as well. This usually gives you a good 'feel' for what is going on in the area.

-Tracie

Old 04-25-2007, 11:02 AM

201 posts, read 804,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khayla007 View Post
go to apartmentguide.com I think that if you call them they will send you a book.
There are others.

You can also visit move.com, apartments.com, rent.net. All very good resources.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte