Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2009, 09:15 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,464,470 times

Advertisements

I am hoping you all will give me lots of suggestions and recommendations for places to go to get the best prices for carpet and installation.

We have replaced the downstairs carpet with hardwoods, but time to carpet the upstairs. I have never bought carpet from anyone here.

I am looking for best price overall, including installation. I am not looking for the most expensive carpet on the market, but I do want something substantial, and above contractor grade (that is what we got rid of!) I am on a budget. I am not precious about it - don't care if there is a showroom or someone selling it out of a warehouse w/ small carpet samples.

Any advice is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2009, 09:38 AM

2,560 posts, read 6,826,415 times
Home Depot is having an installtion special right now. We used them when we replaced our carpet in CA and would use them again here, oh how I would love to replace our carpet right now.
$139 Carpet Installation (http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ContentView?pn=Low_Price_Carpet_Install&langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053 - broken link)

Old 08-06-2009, 10:37 AM

201 posts, read 670,192 times
A friend of mine just had carpet installed by Lowe's and was happy with the service and price, but the Home Depot special above sounds really good as well.

Good luck!

Old 08-06-2009, 11:29 AM

I had Lowe's do an installation of berber in a different home and they did a super job - at a great price.

Guess I should go check out HD and Lowes. The only thing with HD is, I had them price out carpet replacement in the past (in another home) and they charge extra for carrying away the old carpet, moving any furniture, etc. I was hoping to find a local dealer who would make a package price.

However, one good thing about Lowes and HD . . . they usually have financing deals that allow me to have maybe 6 months w/ no interest, wh/ I really like taking advantage of. No outlay of cash upfront and no carrying charges - always a good thing!!!

Old 08-06-2009, 12:09 PM

22,319 posts, read 29,407,323 times
I'm looking for a Mohawk distributor so if anyone can recommend one I'd appreciate it. HD carries Mohawk but doesn't carry the exact type of carpet I want. The funny thing is they sell it in a 5x8 rug but not to put in a house which I find odd.

Old 08-06-2009, 01:39 PM

2,560 posts, read 6,826,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I had Lowe's do an installation of berber in a different home and they did a super job - at a great price.

Guess I should go check out HD and Lowes. The only thing with HD is, I had them price out carpet replacement in the past (in another home) and they charge extra for carrying away the old carpet, moving any furniture, etc. I was hoping to find a local dealer who would make a package price.

However, one good thing about Lowes and HD . . . they usually have financing deals that allow me to have maybe 6 months w/ no interest, wh/ I really like taking advantage of. No outlay of cash upfront and no carrying charges - always a good thing!!!
I don't recall having to pay for them to move furniture at all or to remove the old carpet, I'd have to look at the receipt, have it but Lord knows where. We did that in 2005.

They were offering free carpet padding when we did ours.

I can hardly wait to get rid of this cream colored carpet and get something with speckles that doesn't show spots so easy, especially red clay dog prints!

Old 08-06-2009, 03:02 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,666,340 times
Ani, when I was looking before I found the floor refinishers I found an outlet listed in the phone book, about halfway to Hickory. Would that be too far for you, if it's still open?

Old 08-06-2009, 03:14 PM

1,067 posts, read 1,998,486 times
Carpet stinks. We don't have a stitch of it in our home. It causes alergic reactions, it's never clean even the very first day. Think tile, laminate, hardwood. Just my opinion.

Old 08-06-2009, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Ani, when I was looking before I found the floor refinishers I found an outlet listed in the phone book, about halfway to Hickory. Would that be too far for you, if it's still open?
You betcha! Do they also install? Do you know if they have the carpet shipped to them from the manufacturer?

When I was in Kansas, I had carpet shipped to me at unbelievably reduced prices - straight from the manufacturer in GA.

S&S Mills : Wholesale Carpets at Discount Price - Buy Factory Direct Carpet

The thing is, I had to line up installers myself and they didn't take away the old carpet - I had to pay to get someone else to do that. Plus, it was cash on the barrelhead. The savings were substantial - I literally paid $1700 for a whole basement - and the lowest bid for the job from local companies was over $5000. The carpet was gorgeous and a wonderful grade.

So I would just order from them again, but I hated to have to line up my own installers. I need to compare prices, too.

Old 08-06-2009, 04:17 PM

22 posts, read 69,779 times
I just had some carpet put in in my house and I went through a contractor that had a membership to prosource, a wholesale flooring club. The price was significantly cheaper that what Home Depot quoted me. I only had about 580 sf of carpet put in, but I saved 500 dollars by going with the contractor and prosource. I would be happy to DM you my contractors info if you are interested.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte