U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2011, 05:51 AM

8,190 posts, read 12,286,257 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Cherokee County is a huge problem here because of unemployment there. Many of the locals here have made comments about it, to me. I also know a young man from Blacksburg. Lack of jobs is so bad there that many of the people who do have jobs are commuting up into Gaston & Cleveland Counties, compounding the problems here. I suppose that some are going into Spartanburg.
I'd say that more are going into Spartanburg (and Greenville) to work for BMW, the various automotive suppliers there, and some other companies that have set up shop there recently, like the huge Adidas distribution center. I don't know why Cherokee County doesn't seem to get much economic development compared to other parts of the Upstate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2011, 11:39 PM

4,677 posts, read 8,028,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
I'd say that more are going into Spartanburg (and Greenville) to work for BMW, the various automotive suppliers there, and some other companies that have set up shop there recently, like the huge Adidas distribution center. I don't know why Cherokee County doesn't seem to get much economic development compared to other parts of the Upstate.
It seems Cherokee, Chester, and Gaston seem to share the "lees-than-a-spotlight" spotlight. Much of the economic activity seems to have been happening in Meck, Union, York, Cabarrus, Rowan, and Iredell counties of Charlotte. Gaston (to a much lesser extent), Chester (to a lesser extent), and Cherokee of Upstate have been lagging to a sort. However, since this is about the energy center. I propose Union be the "think tank" like RTP, and Gaston can be the high-skilled labor (production of turbines and the such).

Old 01-21-2011, 07:43 AM

21,856 posts, read 27,128,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
Well, I know of someone in Boiling Springs, in Cleveland County, who is now working at the BMW plant.

Cherokee County is in the Greenville Spartanburg MSA Upstate South Carolina - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia while Cleveland County is in the Charlotte CSA. The reality is that eastern Cleveland County (Kings Mountain) is closer to Charlotte & people here tend to look east to Gastonia & Charlotte. Western Cleveland County is closer to Spartanburg & those people tend to look there.

Old 01-21-2011, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adavi215 View Post
It seems Cherokee, Chester, and Gaston seem to share the "lees-than-a-spotlight" spotlight. Much of the economic activity seems to have been happening in Meck, Union, York, Cabarrus, Rowan, and Iredell counties of Charlotte. Gaston (to a much lesser extent), Chester (to a lesser extent), and Cherokee of Upstate have been lagging to a sort. However, since this is about the energy center. I propose Union be the "think tank" like RTP, and Gaston can be the high-skilled labor (production of turbines and the such).
Well, the region is now marketing itself. I picked up a copy of the marketing magazine at city hall. Here's a website connected to the magazine. Charlotte USA - Economic Development, News, Events | Charlotte Regional Partnership

Old 01-21-2011, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Well, the region is now marketing itself. I picked up a copy of the marketing magazine at city hall. Here's a website connected to the magazine. Charlotte USA - Economic Development, News, Events | Charlotte Regional Partnership
I looked at the website. Was there something in particular concerning marketing you were talking about? Perhpas something about Gaston county? Just wondering. I saw how they were marketing Charlotte as a budiness center. Seems to be very nice.

Old 01-21-2011, 10:12 PM

Speaking of the Energy Hub/center and how steam has seemed to pipe down check out this article.
Duke Energy, Siemens donate $8.8M to UNC Charlotte energy center | Charlotte Business Journal

Old 01-22-2011, 08:04 AM

Quote:
I looked at the website. Was there something in particular concerning marketing you were talking about? Perhpas something about Gaston county? Just wondering. I saw how they were marketing Charlotte as a budiness center. Seems to be very nice.
Well, they do have tabs for various facets (including energy) of the economy on the webcite, which could be useful for your threads.

Also, you can click on each county & get a lot of data.

Old 01-22-2011, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Well, they do have tabs for various facets (including energy) of the economy on the webcite, which could be useful for your threads.

Also, you can click on each county & get a lot of data.
OK. I got ya now. I'll go back there and take a look.

Old 01-22-2011, 08:35 AM

Quote:
OK. I got ya now. I'll go back there and take a look.
Loads of data & information in there. Here's the digital version of the magazine that I got at city hall. http://olive.jnlcom.com/Olive/ODE/JC...JCM/2010/08/31

Old 02-21-2011, 10:36 AM

Here's a couple of links that seem connected to the energy theme, to me.

Electric-car firm aspires to spark manufacturing hub | Charlotte Business Journal

Kings Mountain company eyes expansion | Charlotte Business Journal
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or