U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 08-07-2009, 04:54 AM
 
Location: Near the water
8,231 posts, read 11,623,200 times
Reputation: 3878

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlterp View Post
Such sweeping generalizations wrapped on in "they"...

Contrary to what you may want to believe, many illegal immigrants do pay taxes. Beyond the obvious in things like sales taxes, the IRS created a Tax ID number back in the 90s for those who do not have Social Security numbers. This is used by millions to pay income taxes each year. Those working also pay social security/medicare tax...not to mention things like property taxes, etc.

There are many arguments that can be made against illegal immigration. Saying that "they" do not pay taxes is not one of them.

While they do pay sales tax when purchasing an item (they have no choice), they are not paying taxes on income. Nor could they if they are here illegally. That has strong repercussions for the employers and the illegals.

When they aren't registered they have no way of paying into the system and they sure aren't going to go to the local tax office and offer money. Even born and bred legal citizens of this country aren't going to just offer the tax man money. LOL!

 
Old 08-07-2009, 05:21 AM
 
830 posts, read 1,319,611 times
Reputation: 608
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post
While they do pay sales tax when purchasing an item (they have no choice), they are not paying taxes on income. Nor could they if they are here illegally. That has strong repercussions for the employers and the illegals.

When they aren't registered they have no way of paying into the system and they sure aren't going to go to the local tax office and offer money. Even born and bred legal citizens of this country aren't going to just offer the tax man money. LOL!
That is just dead wrong...look up Taxpayer ID Number sometime - Officially ITIN (Individual Taxpayer Identification Number).

From the IRS website....
-------------------------------------
Who needs an ITIN?
IRS issues ITINs to foreign nationals and others who have federal tax reporting or filing requirements and do not qualify for SSNs. A non-resident alien individual not eligible for a SSN, who is required to file a U.S. tax return only to claim a refund of tax under the provisions of a U.S. tax treaty, needs an ITIN.
Examples of individuals who need ITINs include:
  • Non-resident alien filing a U.S. tax return and not eligible for a SSN
  • U.S. resident alien (based on days present in the United States) filing a U.S. tax return and not eligible for a SSN
  • Dependent or spouse of a U.S. citizen/resident alien
  • Dependent or spouse of a non-resident alien visa holder
 
Old 08-07-2009, 05:33 AM
 
Location: Near the water
8,231 posts, read 11,623,200 times
Reputation: 3878
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlterp View Post
That is just dead wrong...look up Taxpayer ID Number sometime - Officially ITIN (Individual Taxpayer Identification Number).

From the IRS website....
-------------------------------------
Who needs an ITIN?
IRS issues ITINs to foreign nationals and others who have federal tax reporting or filing requirements and do not qualify for SSNs. A non-resident alien individual not eligible for a SSN, who is required to file a U.S. tax return only to claim a refund of tax under the provisions of a U.S. tax treaty, needs an ITIN.
Examples of individuals who need ITINs include:
  • Non-resident alien filing a U.S. tax return and not eligible for a SSN
  • U.S. resident alien (based on days present in the United States) filing a U.S. tax return and not eligible for a SSN
  • Dependent or spouse of a U.S. citizen/resident alien
  • Dependent or spouse of a non-resident alien visa holder

this applies to those here on VISA's not some one here illegally, this is most often used by those here on work/student visa's.

If they break the law hence being here illegally, they sure aren't going to be lawful and pay taxes. Your train of thought makes no sense whatsoever and does NOT apply to this particular group being discussed here. You can't make a round peg fit into a square hole here.
 
Old 08-07-2009, 06:52 AM
 
Location: State of Being
35,885 posts, read 67,235,178 times
Reputation: 22386
I am heartbroken seeing the contention on this thread. Really.

Was it racist for the OP to ask about a public health issue - re: spread of disease in restaurant kitchens? I don't think so. Could it have been asked better and not targeted non-citizens in particular. Yes.

As others have explained, there are no requirements re: vax, etc. for kitchen workers. Now, I would think any owner/manager could impose whatever health requirements he/she wished to impose. Do we all agree with that? If I were in charge of a kitchen, I would require that my employees be tested for TB, have Hep vax, etc. just as hospitals do. But that is just me.

Now, for those who have been hurt and are upset about statements re: spread of illness due to folks arriving here illegally . . . the CDC has, in fact, made a connection b/n folks coming into this country w/o the same level of vax we have here . . . and in SOME CASES, bringing Hep and TB. This is a fact. So we should not get upset with anyone for posting this info.

We should also make it known that if you go to the county health department, vax are FREE. Perhaps this is info that restaurant owners would like to know - that they could require their employees (everyone!) to present proof of vax and that these vax can be gotten at no charge.

As for the tax issue, that is not what this thread was about.

Also, I have my doubts how many non-citizens are working in restaurants, unless they own them. I would think most would have to have VISAs.

Let's not make assumptions. The spread of such things as Hep is a concern and every so often, we do have an outbreak of Hep at restaurants (usually transmitted on salad bar type food - lettuce, for ex). But this is not limited to one group of folks transmitting such diseases.

I think we can all agree . . . kitchen safety is an issue at home as well as in a restaurant. A good chef, manager, restaurant owner will do his/her best to ensure cleanliness and health safety in their place of business.
 
Old 08-07-2009, 06:55 AM
 
Location: North of Hell, South of Heaven.
310 posts, read 592,631 times
Reputation: 495
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagocubs View Post
Chef, thank you for your support.

I cannot even speak to the hatred found on this thread. I am actually recommending that it be closed.

businessperson, you should read reuters or the wall street journal sometimes (ironically enough). You will read about the illegals departure from our country.
I cannot even speak to the idiocy and danger in your attitude. Yes, by all means, let's blanket legitimate health and legal concerns with "OMFG RACISTS!". Got a problem with what someone has to say? CALL IT RACIST! Disagree with factual CDC statistics? CALL IT RACIST! And for the love of God, someone close this "hateful" thread! Worrying about infectious disease from illegal immigrants from third world countries where disease is more rampant is OBVIOUSLY thinly veiled "Southern ignorance" and racism! Oh Lawdy Lawd all this "racism" is gonna make me faint!

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to go vomit on my shoes and be disgusted with your POS attitude of shutting down anything you don't like. Fascism for the loss, anyone?
 
Old 08-07-2009, 07:06 AM
 
Location: State of Being
35,885 posts, read 67,235,178 times
Reputation: 22386
MATTMAN: I think the folks who have been upset about this thread are concerned about objectifying a whole group of people by referring to them as illegals and stereotyping that they "all" (as a collective) are disease-ridden. We all know fine people who have immigrated here from other countries and yes, some may be here illegally . . . but the concern is that they all are being stereotyped as bad people.

It is a hot button issue, but I think we all can agree that we want all human beings to be treated respectfully.
 
Old 08-07-2009, 07:10 AM
 
Location: North of Hell, South of Heaven.
310 posts, read 592,631 times
Reputation: 495
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
MATTMAN: I think the folks who have been upset about this thread are concerned about objectifying a whole group of people by referring to them as illegals and stereotyping that they "all" (as a collective) are disease-ridden. We all know fine people who have immigrated here from other countries and yes, some may be here illegally . . . but the concern is that they all are being stereotyped as bad people.

It is a hot button issue, but I think we all can agree that we want all human beings to be treated respectfully.
Whether it's wrong or right, stereotypes always have a small (even if it's miniscule) ring of truth to them. And if you hop the fence, you ARE a bad person. When you do that you have effectively spit in my and my family's face and say "**** you, we don't care about doing it the right way and we're going to take advantage of this society and people no matter the cost." Yeah, that makes you a bad person. Don't care if you're black, brown, yellow or white as a sheet.

Also, it doesn't speak highly of a person's love of country/patriotism when they're more willing to run away somewhere else rather than work to change and improve their own homeland. If people didn't look to the US as OBLIGATED to allow anyone and everyone (along with their *POSSIBLE* infectious diseases) to come here, I have a feeling conditions abroad in their respective homelands would have a better chance of improving.
 
Old 08-07-2009, 02:58 PM
 
830 posts, read 1,319,611 times
Reputation: 608
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post
While they do pay sales tax when purchasing an item (they have no choice), they are not paying taxes on income. Nor could they if they are here illegally. That has strong repercussions for the employers and the illegals.

When they aren't registered they have no way of paying into the system and they sure aren't going to go to the local tax office and offer money. Even born and bred legal citizens of this country aren't going to just offer the tax man money. LOL!
Again, way off base.

Here's a Fox News story about tax refunds to illegal immigrants.

FOXNews.com - Illegal Immigrants Lose Out on Tax Refunds in Kansas, Missouri - Politics | Republican Party | Democratic Party | Political Spectrum

Apparently, there is some belief that paying income taxes like this will help with legal status down the road.

There have been millions of ITINs issued, and each year, there are also millions of tax returns where the name and SS# don't match.
 
Old 08-07-2009, 03:07 PM
 
140 posts, read 286,986 times
Reputation: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagocubs View Post
Chef, thank you for your support.

I cannot even speak to the hatred found on this thread. I am actually recommending that it be closed.

businessperson, you should read reuters or the wall street journal sometimes (ironically enough). You will read about the illegals departure from our country.
Hi there CB, I know it's unbelievable isn't it? There are the same kinda tea baggers folks who simply will not reason with anyone neither be willing to at least listen to opposite arguments like the morons disrupting town hall meetings about healthcare reform, who btw apparently don't even know Medicare is a gov ran program.
Anyway, I dunno about u about u but I got the hell outta clt, I could not take anymore the vast level of ignorance and increasingly greater hatred beggining to shown not just at these blogs but at the street level.
Don't get me wrong I still love the QC, it's an awesome place to raise a family despite the aforementioned but I think at this point I was ready for a change of scenery. Fortunately the majority of Charlotteans, esp the newer generations are different from these irrational people, who still need to be mailed a copy of our President's birth certificate to believe he was born here. So sad...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Similar Threads
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:55 PM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top