U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2009, 04:33 PM

55 posts, read 156,762 times

Advertisements

Anyone familiar with the area? Are there good and bad parts? Where are they? We are looking at the area to move to as it is close to my wife's job. Any reccomendations of streets/areas???

Thanks!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2009, 04:40 PM

45,269 posts, read 88,605,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2008 View Post
Anyone familiar with the area? Are there good and bad parts? Where are they? We are looking at the area to move to as it is close to my wife's job. Any reccomendations of streets/areas???

Thanks!!!
Cotswold is a very desirable area of south Charlotte. It is also very convenient to uptown Charlotte (10 minutes) and the neighboring South Park area. There are no real "bad" parts - only some less desirable areas of apartments near Craig Ave. If you can afford to live on the side bordered by Randolph and Providence roads you'd be golden.

Old 08-06-2009, 07:00 PM

59 posts, read 114,111 times
Cotswald is AWESOME, but you should know that there is a small pocket of poverty that borders this neighborhood, known as Grier Heights (between Cotswald and downtown). It is not a part of the neighborhood, and will not affect property values, but it does directly border it. Cotswald is stable and has many restaurants and fun hangouts. You will surely enjoy it, and property values are likely to rise in the recovery.

Old 08-06-2009, 07:11 PM

45,269 posts, read 88,605,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krisia View Post
Cotswald is AWESOME, but you should know that there is a small pocket of poverty that borders this neighborhood, known as Grier Heights (between Cotswald and downtown). It is not a part of the neighborhood, and will not affect property values, but it does directly border it. Cotswald is stable and has many restaurants and fun hangouts. You will surely enjoy it, and property values are likely to rise in the recovery.
Well, to be more accurate, a tiny corner of Grier Heights is across 4 laned Wendover Rd. from a tiny corner of Cotswold

Old 08-06-2009, 08:08 PM

59 posts, read 114,111 times
That is what is funny about Charlotte. Wendover Heights borders Cotswald across the street, but also directly borders Grier Heights, which is one of the scariest areas of Charlotte. Condos in Wendover Heights start at $350,000, but they are right next to $40,000 homes.

Old 08-06-2009, 08:14 PM

797 posts, read 2,985,472 times
I'm a native and have once lived near there-there are def. some sketchy area's.

Old 08-06-2009, 10:16 PM

6 posts, read 13,929 times
As a smaller city, Charlotte's good areas and not so good areas are all very close to one another. I think, Cotswold is a little too close to the not so good - but that's just my personal opinion. You may find the crime police department's crim mapping mapping tool is a good way to make your own judgement: Crime in Charlotte-Mecklenburg - CharlotteObserver.com (http://www.charlotteobserver.com/maps/story/869375.html - broken link)

Old 08-07-2009, 06:05 AM

3,774 posts, read 7,017,542 times
Cotswold is a great neighborhood.

It's really East Charlotte, but people say "South" to fit their neat little sterotypes.

Quality of Life Survey:
Neighborhood Quality of Life Profile Template

Old 08-07-2009, 06:30 AM

55 posts, read 156,762 times
thanks so much to all of you, I think I have a good idea now of it. We are going to look around this weekend and see what we think firsthand. Someone may have said it, but what was the area that was near the sketchy part? Was it near/in the NE part? Thank you again!

Old 08-07-2009, 06:49 AM

198 posts, read 567,538 times
We moved to Cotswold last year and we LOVE LOVE LOVE it. My husband has a 10 minute commute to uptown, and we are in such close proximity to *everything* it seems: restaurants, shopping, etc.

There really isn't a "bad" part, although as some other people have mentioned, Grier Heights isn't nice and it borders Cotswold. Grier Heights is basically across Wendover from Home Depot (the NE part of Cotswold).

I think one of the best things about Cotswold (in addition to its proximity to so much) is that you can find a NEWER home in an ESTABLISHED residential area. Our small neighborhood (52 homes) was built in the 90s, so we have a modern-looking home with an open floorplan, two-car garage, etc. Yet the Cotswold area is very well-established with mature trees everywhere. Although the majority of homes there are older, 50's-style ranch houses, new homes and small new neighborhoods are peppered throughout. And to top it all off, we're zoned for Meyers Park High School -- one of the best schools in Charlotte.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte