U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-24-2007, 04:09 PM
 
Location: Robinson Twp., PA
59 posts, read 116,798 times
Reputation: 19

Advertisements

We are looking to move to the Charlotte area nextSpring and my fiance will be working at one of the Financial buildings in town (not sure which yet). We want to live in Huntersville (Birkdale development preferably) but my fiance is worried about traffic going into work every day. I have heard some, including a real estate person I talked to, say it could anywhere from 20-35 minutes. I have heard others in here say it takes 1-2 hours with the bad traffic. That's obviously a huge difference and can make a difference between moving there or not. We are moving from Manhattan after living for over a year in northern NJ so our ideas of what traffic is, is clearly different from people in that area.

So the question for anybody who makes a similar trip, how long would it take on a normal weekday to go from Huntersville to where the Fiancial buildings are in Charlotte? Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-24-2007, 05:31 PM
 
474 posts, read 1,594,321 times
Reputation: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowdog View Post
We are looking to move to the Charlotte area nextSpring and my fiance will be working at one of the Financial buildings in town (not sure which yet). We want to live in Huntersville (Birkdale development preferably) but my fiance is worried about traffic going into work every day. I have heard some, including a real estate person I talked to, say it could anywhere from 20-35 minutes. I have heard others in here say it takes 1-2 hours with the bad traffic. That's obviously a huge difference and can make a difference between moving there or not. We are moving from Manhattan after living for over a year in northern NJ so our ideas of what traffic is, is clearly different from people in that area.

So the question for anybody who makes a similar trip, how long would it take on a normal weekday to go from Huntersville to where the Fiancial buildings are in Charlotte? Thanks in advance.
I commuted from exit 23 in Huntersville for 3 years and it took about 25 minutes in normal rush hour traffic. I currently commute from Camden Sedgebrook, which is next to Birkdale, and it takes about 25-30 minutes. Taking a CATS bus, which I do most of the time and highly recommend, will cut about 5 - 10 minutes off of that.

You can add about 10 - 15 minutes to those times for the Friday afternoon commute. The only way that commute would turn into an hour or more would be a very severe accident where multiple lanes are blocked. I wouldn't hesitate to buy a house in Birkdale and commute to uptown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-24-2007, 05:37 PM
 
Location: The 12th State
22,974 posts, read 58,470,348 times
Reputation: 14917
I would say the average is 20 to 35 minutes the only times it would take longer is when there is a wreck or bad weather. There is a park n ride for the express bus uptown and it can use the HOV lane to by pass backups on regular lanes. The express buses are usually filled with other white collar workers and have reclining cushion seats and foot rests. A great way to save on gas, car repair and uptown parking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-24-2007, 05:50 PM
 
Location: "The Gorge"
905 posts, read 3,063,080 times
Reputation: 712
Quote:
Originally Posted by BKQC View Post
You can add about 10 - 15 minutes to those times for the Friday afternoon commute.
I have a name for driving in Charlotte on Fridays.

"Freaky Friday"

I was in town this past Friday and it only reinforced my Freaky Friday theory, passing in the turning lane, multiple lane changes (to no avail), and agressive driving.

Get your errands done early and go home and stay there!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-24-2007, 06:16 PM
 
Location: Sunny Phoenix Arizona...wishing for a beach.
4,299 posts, read 13,620,997 times
Reputation: 803
It's seems everyone likes to drive their cars on Friday. The bus is pretty empty Friday morning.

Back to the topic it's about a 30-35 minute commute in traffic from Huntersville to uptown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-24-2007, 06:26 PM
 
Location: Cornelius
2,314 posts, read 2,107,135 times
Reputation: 287
I agree with all the above posts. The bus seems to be everyones favorite.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-24-2007, 06:40 PM
 
Location: Robinson Twp., PA
59 posts, read 116,798 times
Reputation: 19
Awesome. That's a load off my mind. I swear that I read in here that the trip was over an hour.

One more question. Where do you catch this bus? Birkdale Village?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-24-2007, 06:42 PM
 
Location: Cornelius
2,314 posts, read 2,107,135 times
Reputation: 287
nope you there are a few park and rides around town or catch the village rider to the bus stop.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-24-2007, 06:49 PM
 
Location: Sunny Phoenix Arizona...wishing for a beach.
4,299 posts, read 13,620,997 times
Reputation: 803
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowdog View Post
Awesome. That's a load off my mind. I swear that I read in here that the trip was over an hour.

One more question. Where do you catch this bus? Birkdale Village?
Norcross Dr, close to Birkdale exit 25. 77x bus. The trip is a nice ride, bring a cup of coffee and a newspaper or take a nap like me. The seats are comfortable. It's fun to work uptown too the energy is great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-24-2007, 06:53 PM
 
Location: Cornelius
2,314 posts, read 2,107,135 times
Reputation: 287
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowdog View Post
Awesome. That's a load off my mind. I swear that I read in here that the trip was over an hour.
That must have been lovesmountains who said that
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top