U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2009, 12:16 PM

116 posts, read 253,246 times

Advertisements

Just wondering if I am the only one out here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2009, 01:54 PM

21,887 posts, read 27,156,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Ignatowski View Post
Just wondering if I am the only one out here.
No.

There are others who are out here in the 3 western counties.

There are other posters in Lincoln County, I'm in the Cleveland County section of Kings Mountain, & there are more people in Gaston county. We're just outnumbered by the number of people in the rest of the metro area.

Old 08-07-2009, 08:19 PM

1,350 posts, read 3,303,690 times
I'm in Lincoln County, moved here from Hunterdon County NJ 1 year ago. We live in the Pumpkin Center area. How do you like it?

Old 08-08-2009, 06:35 PM

Hey Hunterdon County NJ. We are from Morris County NJ. What took you so long? LOL. Actually, NC (especially Charlotte) is like a suburb of NJ in many ways now. Been here 5 years. When we first moved here, for the first couple of years, spouse and I were just like NC is the best. Now the bloom is off the rose a bit. Still don't regret the NC move though. BTW, we are only probably about 5 miles at the most from Pumpkin Center, not inside the city limits of Lincolnton.

You know I thought I noticed way more NJ/NY accents in the stores in the past coupla years.

Anybody else?

Last edited by Jim Ignatowski; 08-08-2009 at 06:38 PM.. Reason: left something out

Old 08-08-2009, 07:58 PM

I grew up in Morris County in Randolph. Small world. I am still adjusting to my new town but have found the people are super nice. We live about 1/2 mile from the Pumpkin Center School. Still miss Hunterdon County, it was such a great place to live.

Old 08-09-2009, 06:51 AM

Yeah, we are homesick for old friends, the food especially Italian food (Italian bread), etc. We don't miss the outrageous taxes, SNOW, rudeness, and some other stuff I can't think of off the top of my head.

I'm guessing you live in one of the newer subdivisions, where there are more Northern transplants. We live in an older, established area where we are the only transplants.

Old 08-09-2009, 06:57 AM

21,887 posts, read 27,156,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Ignatowski View Post
Yeah, we are homesick for old friends, the food especially Italian food (Italian bread), etc. We don't miss the outrageous taxes, SNOW, rudeness, and some other stuff I can't think of off the top of my head.

I'm guessing you live in one of the newer subdivisions, where there are more Northern transplants. We live in an older, established area where we are the only transplants.
Jim, have you been down to the new Ingles supermarket in Dallas? The Kings Mountain supermarket carries the Viera rolls (Viera bakery in North Jersey). If Dallas doesn't carry the Vierra rolls, they can get them for you.

Old 08-09-2009, 07:02 AM

We do live in one of the newer neighborhoods. It is a nice mixture of locals and transplants. I know what you mean about the friends (family for me) , food and taxes . So how is being the only transplant(especially from NJ) working out for you? Do you have any kids in school down here?

Old 08-09-2009, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Jim, have you been down to the new Ingles supermarket in Dallas? The Kings Mountain supermarket carries the Viera rolls (Viera bakery in North Jersey). If Dallas doesn't carry the Vierra rolls, they can get them for you.
We haven't been to Dallas in awhile. We usually travel to Mooresville and Matthews to eat good Italian food (restaurant). I am going to have to hit the new Ingles supermarket. Thanks for that tip.

The Mooresville Lowes has good Italian bread, usually from a bakery in Parsippany NJ. Now I read in our local paper here we're getting a Lowes in 2010, which would be wonderful. They have the best quality food and vegetables. And yes, the higher prices.

Old 08-09-2009, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssd3 View Post
We do live in one of the newer neighborhoods. It is a nice mixture of locals and transplants. I know what you mean about the friends (family for me) , food and taxes . So how is being the only transplant(especially from NJ) working out for you? Do you have any kids in school down here?
Well, to be honest, we have almost no friends. Another couple, not in our neighborhood, who are transplanted from W. VA and CA. Don't get me wrong, the people are nice enough, but they're different. We are older, no kids or grandkids, but we both work and are not yet retired. We don't attend church, and that's an important thing to people around here. Everything revolves around the church. Let me say for the record, I'm not knocking anyone's religious beliefs whatsoever. I think we would have fared better had we ended up in a mixed subdivision like you're in ssd3. But it's an okay place to live. We're headed up to the RDU area to check that out and see if the grass is greener, lol. There are more places to work and a lot more transplants than in this area. Will let you know how it goes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte