Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2009, 08:21 PM

59 posts, read 130,572 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post
Whoa, whoa, whoa.....slow down girl. This isn't a proverbial pissing contest for who gave more time or money. Who cares???

I don't for one minute believe that Ani was acting as an elitist. While I have never met her personally, I do believe that she is one of the few genuine people here and if anyone here on this board or anywhere (for that matter) was hungry or needed somewhere to rest our bones. She would do what she can, I whole heartedly do believe that. Many times, I have seen her offer an open door here on this board.
I believe that too. I noted that my initial understanding of her post must be unfounded due to her reaction. I have never discounted her generosity, and I admire her greatly. I have openly expressed this and have given numerous rep points to her.

The comment about Eastland is true. That huge building is sitting over there whithering on the vine. It could be put to great, great use. Do you know of any other properties that can offer such space? It is people such as yourself who spend time whining that they (the homeless) aren't being treated fair because they aren't in South Charlotte etc... they are being treated less than anyone else, all the while nothing is being done. What progress is being made for people because you don't want them in East Charlotte because that labels them? None, none whatsoever...

My post obviously stated that the homeless are being treated quite fairly, actually quite well comparatively, in South Charlotte. They are not being treated as less, and the result is promising. There is a huge empty building at Eastland, but homeless people should not be shunned to areas viewed as blighted, as it could hurt their hope factors.

Further more, it would be awful to take some of these individuals and put them out in South Charlotte. You want to talk about being treated less than??? While there are some fine, kind hearted and loving people there, there are those that are not.

That is your opinion of the South Charlotte community. I volunteer in soup kitchens right next to South Charlotte residents who work their butts off for no selfish gain. You are calling them discriminatory. I think that the kind hearted far outnumber the a**holes, and that they sympathize with the plight of the homeless.

These people deserve a chance. Just like you, Ani or myself and to start a ground zero as with a child it what must be done to make it right. Get off your high horse and stop trying to save the world. It is bigger than you, make a change where you can and whining isn't getting it done.
Where was I whining? When was I on a high horse? I never suggested being better. Was it noting that the homeless are currently allowed to visit our affluent communities and should not be shunned to areas viewed as blighted? I volunteer to help the community that we are talking about. I will live next door to them, and interact without fear. I did not request for you to offer money to "the cause," or even request that you volunteer. I never suggested superiority - I only claimed my personal experiences in response to an accusation that I discount the SA's contributions to the community. If my volunteer experience translates to you as a claim of superiority, I posit that your feelings are entirely resultant of your own inadequacy feelings - nothing to do with me or my posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2009, 09:46 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,483,478 times
KRISIA: Thank you for clarifying.

I have mentioned on this forum in the past that I thought Eastland would be better used as a homeless shelter and a job incubator and training center - wh/ could be done thru/ partnering with the Salvation Army and CPCC. To me, that seems like a good use of the space and answering a need in the community, plus helping folks get back on their feet - and giving inexpensive space to entrepreneurs who couldn't otherwise afford a business start up.

Maybe it is a totally crazy idea, but to me it seems like a great use of space.

That's all! No elitism implied or intended.

Old 08-13-2009, 10:39 PM

59 posts, read 130,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
KRISIA: Thank you for clarifying.

I have mentioned on this forum in the past that I thought Eastland would be better used as a homeless shelter and a job incubator and training center - wh/ could be done thru/ partnering with the Salvation Army and CPCC. To me, that seems like a good use of the space and answering a need in the community, plus helping folks get back on their feet - and giving inexpensive space to entrepreneurs who couldn't otherwise afford a business start up.

Maybe it is a totally crazy idea, but to me it seems like a great use of space.

That's all! No elitism implied or intended.
Ani - I am a little bit in love with you right now - totally straight love though. My concern is the concentration of poverty in one area. It cannot be healthy for anyone. Use of space is certainly logical, but social implications of throwing the poor into a small area might cost more than the building.

Old 08-14-2009, 01:27 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,678,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krisia View Post
Ani - I am a little bit in love with you right now - totally straight love though. My concern is the concentration of poverty in one area. It cannot be healthy for anyone. Use of space is certainly logical, but social implications of throwing the poor into a small area might cost more than the building.
What's the real problem? Sorry, your problem with Ani's idea does not make sense to me, but then before I moved here, my county seat was Camden, NJ. Now that's a blighted area.

If you want to help them, what's going to do more good quicker? Scattering facilities all over, or rehabbing some housing to have group homes & taking over a failing mall to provide a large processing facility. After the mentally ill are taken care of, the criminals are processed, provide some training & THEN worry about scattering the freshly trained people around town, around the county, or around the state, for that matter.

Oh, & just think, a concentrated governmental facility would provide jobs in the area that it is placed in.

Old 08-14-2009, 05:11 AM

8,237 posts, read 13,515,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krisia View Post
Where was I whining? When was I on a high horse? I never suggested being better. Was it noting that the homeless are currently allowed to visit our affluent communities and should not be shunned to areas viewed as blighted? I volunteer to help the community that we are talking about. I will live next door to them, and interact without fear. I did not request for you to offer money to "the cause," or even request that you volunteer. I never suggested superiority - I only claimed my personal experiences in response to an accusation that I discount the SA's contributions to the community. If my volunteer experience translates to you as a claim of superiority, I posit that your feelings are entirely resultant of your own inadequacy feelings - nothing to do with me or my posts.

Never once was I discriminatory in my words about South Charlotte. It is no secret that there are people there and everywhere for that matter, that view themselves as superior. And if you go back and read what you typed, you said the same thing, different verbiage. Yet, you call me discriminatory. Your condescending comments that you volunteer your time, are nothing more than a way to make you feel as though you are doing something superior. Volunteering in any capacity is always positive. But to sit back and do nothing because you want everyone to have access to every area of this city to make it fair and unbiased is doing nothing but whining and getting nothing accomplished. Your thinking is, let's keep them on the streets or wandering from shelter to shelter as opposed to a fixed facility because that facility is in East Charlotte as opposed to South.

That is sad.....so sad, and nothing redeeming about it whatsoever.

Old 08-14-2009, 05:44 AM

3,774 posts, read 8,195,444 times
Why in the sam hell are y'all arguing about the location of some fictional homeless shelter?

We all get it. Eastland is perfect since those nasty south-siders would be so mean. And EVERYONE knows the east-siders are too stupid to realize they'd be getting saddled again.

yada, yada, yada.

Old 08-14-2009, 07:13 AM

1,546 posts, read 2,551,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Native_Son View Post
Why in the sam hell are y'all arguing about the location of some fictional homeless shelter?

We all get it. Eastland is perfect since those nasty south-siders would be so mean. And EVERYONE knows the east-siders are too stupid to realize they'd be getting saddled again.

yada, yada, yada.
I agree! You da man!

Old 08-14-2009, 07:50 AM

8,237 posts, read 13,515,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Native_Son View Post

yada, yada, yada.

That's not the point. The point is that, there is a problem. A viable solution was presented/suggested. And because of it's location it wasn't good enough. THAT is the problem today, there are so many problems that have great solutions but people argue over the most ridiculous things and therefore nowhere near a solution can be accomplished.

Old 08-14-2009, 07:57 AM

14,688 posts, read 26,612,994 times
Someone should go present this idea at city council. I would but I was banned after I reported the black helicopter that was hovering over the treeline near my house. My house was shaking...

Old 08-14-2009, 07:58 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,513,090 times
this is a forum all points welcome http://i745.photobucket.com/albums/xx91/L_Dog/USA3.gif (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte