Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2009, 09:00 PM

2,340 posts, read 4,606,880 times

Advertisements

I've never seen so many bleeding hearts on the Charlotte board. LOLOL

Before I'm flamed, I'm just guessing that not many that actually reside in Charlotte feel threatened by the folks in that part of uptown. ;-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2009, 09:15 PM

59 posts, read 129,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clavoski View Post
what i wonder is: do we give the homeless universal health care ?

i better crouch for this one.
I just learned this a month ago when a homeless relative of mine went to the hospital and racked up a $45,000 bill. Apparently there is a program in place that currently provides free hospital care to the homeless. He was fully treated and there is no bill...

That's why I don't understand one of the major arguments against universal health care - people don't want to pay for other people who don't work. Maybe I'm wrong here (I only know my experience above), but it looks like we already are paying for them. I posit that we pay far more since the current system sends these people straight to the ER. There is no allocation for prevention and regular treatment, so its regular trips by ambulance right back to the ER.

Old 08-08-2009, 09:16 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,491,257 times
I don't know what everyone is talking about when they mention dangerous bums in Charlotte. The bums we had in DC were much more threatening.

Old 08-08-2009, 09:23 PM

165 posts, read 556,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
I don't know what everyone is talking about when they mention dangerous bums in Charlotte. The bums we had in DC were much more threatening.

In DC, we had a "bum" literally jump in front of our car. We had to call the cops but it was proven that he wasn't hurt. He actually kicked his shoes off as he jumped on our car. Good acting. I almost thought we hit him.

Old 08-08-2009, 09:27 PM

6,777 posts, read 13,497,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
I think most homeless people are harmless. I've had one incident that resulted in a screaming match w/ some drunk homeless guy in OH, but other than...no problems. I used to live in downtown Cleveland and interacted w/ vagrants on a daily basis, mostly I just feel sorry for them, not afraid.

Old 08-08-2009, 09:37 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,077,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krisia View Post
I just learned this a month ago when a homeless relative of mine went to the hospital and racked up a $45,000 bill. Apparently there is a program in place that currently provides free hospital care to the homeless. He was fully treated and there is no bill...

That's why I don't understand one of the major arguments against universal health care - people don't want to pay for other people who don't work. Maybe I'm wrong here (I only know my experience above), but it looks like we already are paying for them. I posit that we pay far more since the current system sends these people straight to the ER. There is no allocation for prevention and regular treatment, so its regular trips by ambulance right back to the ER.
Medicaid. Anyone who qualifies for the financial threshold will receive Medicaid. Hospitals will make sure the paperwork is filled out and submitted for anyone who is qualified for Medicaid, b/c the state reimburses for all healthcare rendered to anyone who is on Medicaid.

In re: to non-citizens receiving medical assistance . . . By federal mandate, no ER can turn anyone away regardless of ability to pay . . . and no one can be denied treatment based on citizenship status.

Yes, we are already paying hundreds of millions of dollars monthly to cover Medicaid costs in this country.

Most folks do not realize that even if they are homeless, they and their children are still eligible for medical treatment. For children, this includes dental care.

Old 08-08-2009, 09:42 PM

1,928 posts, read 3,629,771 times
We are still paying off my husband's heart surgeries 4 years later. We are on a payment plan. Fine. We owe our share but it really frosts me when people get everything paid for. And it's not just the homeless or those in need. My hairdresser was in the hospital with a brain infection for months. He had lost his job and the house he had with his partner was not in his name. The hospital wrote it off. That's what gets to me.

Just venting. Sorry.

Old 08-08-2009, 09:46 PM

8,237 posts, read 13,449,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catrick View Post
We are still paying off my husband's heart surgeries 4 years later. We are on a payment plan. Fine. We owe our share but it really frosts me when people get everything paid for. And it's not just the homeless or those in need. My hairdresser was in the hospital with a brain infection for months. He had lost his job and the house he had with his partner was not in his name. The hospital wrote it off. That's what gets to me.

Just venting. Sorry.

While the hospital may have written the debts off, the hairdresser is not
going without paying. It is on his credit records. For that he will pay a long time and could be a large price. It's not like he walked away scott-free.

Old 08-08-2009, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catrick View Post

Just venting. Sorry.
I know. It doesn't make much sense when we are struggling to pay these bills but that is the baffling way our reimbursement system is set up. You see, it is not that the state is so much concerned about the health and welfare of its citizens and so offers them Medicaid. It is the deficit with hospitals and physicians. To keep these entities running (and there still is a continual shortfall, even w/ Medicaid) . . . the state had to devise some way to reimburse providers for services rendered. THAT is why we have Medicaid. Crazy, huh?

Old 08-08-2009, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post
While the hospital may have written the debts off, the hairdresser is not
going without paying. It is on his credit records. For that he will pay a long time and could be a large price. It's not like he walked away scott-free.
Actually, if the hospital agrees to write off the charges - or is able to get a charitable foundation to pay all or part of the bill - it is truly written off and there is no report made to any credit agency.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte