U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2009, 08:59 PM

14,693 posts, read 23,073,113 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLaw82 View Post
In DC, we had a "bum" literally jump in front of our car. We had to call the cops but it was proven that he wasn't hurt. He actually kicked his shoes off as he jumped on our car. Good acting. I almost thought we hit him.
Yep, that's a common scam. Most of the scary factor comes from unpredictability. Most of them are mentally unhinged so you have no idea what might set one off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2009, 09:01 PM

8,231 posts, read 11,580,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Actually, if the hospital agrees to write off the charges - or is able to get a charitable foundation to pay all or part of the bill - it is truly written off and there is no report made to any credit agency.

That is interesting.
I wonder how often that happens and how they choose who receives that gift?

Old 08-08-2009, 09:06 PM

35,885 posts, read 67,009,663 times
For those of you who may encounter someone who appears to be disenfranchised . . . you might consider placing a phone call to one of the agencies in this region who may be able to offer assistance.

Crisis Assistance Ministries: 704 371 3011 x 128

Salvation Army: 704-716-ARMY

Old 08-08-2009, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post
That is interesting.
I wonder how often that happens and how they choose who receives that gift?
Hospitals have different criteria. If you or someone you know has financial restrictions, ask to speak to the Medical Social Worker at the hospital and they can help do an assessment to see what, if any, resources are available.

In addition, most folks don't realize that if you can pay the balance in a lump sum (after insurance has paid) . . . you can ask for a discount and you will usually be given a 20% discount. So on a $2000 balance, that is $400.

Old 08-08-2009, 09:12 PM

59 posts, read 113,818 times
Quote:
Medicaid. Anyone who qualifies for the financial threshold will receive Medicaid. Hospitals will make sure the paperwork is filled out and submitted for anyone who is qualified for Medicaid, b/c the state reimburses for all healthcare rendered to anyone who is on Medicaid.

In re: to non-citizens receiving medical assistance . . . By federal mandate, no ER can turn anyone away regardless of ability to pay . . . and no one can be denied treatment based on citizenship status.

Yes, we are already paying hundreds of millions of dollars monthly to cover Medicaid costs in this country.

Most folks do not realize that even if they are homeless, they and their children are still eligible for medical treatment. For children, this includes dental care.
It wasn't Medicaid that paid his bill. It was another federal program specifically for the homeless that covered it... I can't remember what it was, as I was really distracted at the time (I will google and try to find). He was denied Medicaid; I don't know why. My understanding of Medicaid is that he would have been allotted provisions for further care if he had it, and when he could not obtain it, CMC dismissed him back to the streets. I am not arguing that they should not have done so, merely recounting the experience.

I have to use this opportunity to make people aware of the organization in Charlotte that provides a recovery place for the homeless dismissed from the hospital. Apparently they receive no government funding. I have visited the facility, and I admire these people greatly.

Samaritan House

Old 08-08-2009, 09:24 PM

1,928 posts, read 3,191,395 times
Quote:
Hospitals have different criteria. If you or someone you know has financial restrictions, ask to speak to the Medical Social Worker at the hospital and they can help do an assessment to see what, if any, resources are available.

In addition, most folks don't realize that if you can pay the balance in a lump sum (after insurance has paid) . . . you can ask for a discount and you will usually be given a 20% discount. So on a $2000 balance, that is $400.
This man's bill had to be in the hundreds of thousands. He was in and out of intensive care and almost died at least four times that I can recall. Don't get me wrong, he was a great guy but he had no insurance and again no assets. Even if he made a "good faith" deal with them to pay it off, it would take forever. And he did have effects from the infection. So I don't know if he could hold a job again. This was in Florida and we lost touch so I don't know what he is doing.

An aside. My sister used to work for an ambulance chasing malpractice attorney and she told me they could get bills wiped out or cut in half quite easily at most hospitals. Especially county ones. They write it off. Or we pay either with higher bills or higher taxes.

Sorry to hijack the thread...............

Old 08-08-2009, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catrick View Post
This man's bill had to be in the hundreds of thousands. He was in and out of intensive care and almost died at least four times that I can recall. Don't get me wrong, he was a great guy but he had no insurance and again no assets. Even if he made a "good faith" deal with them to pay it off, it would take forever. And he did have effects from the infection. So I don't know if he could hold a job again. This was in Florida and we lost touch so I don't know what he is doing.

An aside. My sister used to work for an ambulance chasing malpractice attorney and she told me they could get bills wiped out or cut in half quite easily at most hospitals. Especially county ones. They write it off. Or we pay either with higher bills or higher taxes.

Sorry to hijack the thread...............
You didn't hijack - we are talking about the plight of homeless, aren't we? And medical care is part of that.

In re: to homeless . . . I still haven't found a press release from the city on the latest homeless count which was done in the last 10 days. I am very curious to find out what the situation is, especially with school starting back - and knowing there are families w/ children and no home.

Old 08-08-2009, 09:47 PM

6,196 posts, read 14,198,185 times
I am at a loss why some people think people with no resources whatsoever should suffer and die from lack of medical care in "the greatest country in the world." And I suspect that many who think this way probably argue against nationalized health care.

What kind of society have we become?

Old 08-09-2009, 04:56 AM

22,974 posts, read 58,475,137 times
stay on topic
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/coastal-north-carolina/"]Coastal [/URL]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/western-north-carolina/"]Western [/URL]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/charlotte/"]Charlotte [/URL]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/york-lancaster-counties/"]York & Lancaster[/URL]

[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html"]Terms of Service. No advertising, no copyrighted material, no personal attacks[/URL]

Old 08-09-2009, 08:12 AM

The only ordinance I can find in CharMeck that addresses "loitering" involves loitering in regard to selling drugs. That doesn't mean there isn't an ordinance I have missed, of course. However, after an overview . . . here is what I located:

Sec. 15-23. Loitering for the purpose of engaging in drug-related activity.

The way I read it, if folks are just hanging around an area, and are not engaged in illegal drug trafficking, there is not much law enforcement can do. I am sure this is b/c "hanging around" an area is not an offense, unless one is displaying some sort of unruly behavior, and then I would assume that would be addressed under other other ordinances (lascivious behavior, drunk and disorderly, public exposure, noise exceeding allowable decibel levels, etc).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte