U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 08-11-2009, 04:25 PM
 
1,163 posts, read 1,960,681 times
Reputation: 1106

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by businessperson View Post
So, what happens when you get fired for taking time off of an $8/hr job to interview for a "real" job that pays what you're used to earning and then you don't get the job you interviewed for? What happens if you take three $7/hr jobs (as one poster suggested) and lose one of the jobs, reducing your income by a third? A person should only take a lower paying job when they get close to the end of their unemployment benefit. At that point, you take whatever you can get.

It's easy for some of you to be critical when you have jobs.
"What happens when..." could probably be used to justify most anything in some people's minds.

There's no guarantee that you'll "get fired for taking time off of an $8/hr job to interview for a "real" job that pays what you're used to earning and then you don't get the job you interviewed for." This is utter nonsense. Schedule interviews on your days off.

It's called "planning." It's expected much of the time from adults and most of the time in the workplace.

We could play "what happens when" all day. As in: "What happens when the OP's unemployment runs out and the economy has gotten even worse and there aren't any $8 or $9 hour jobs available?" Or: "What happens when a terrorist steals the OP's car and uses it to blow up a federal building, thus framing her?" Or: "What happens when the OP's new employer won't allow foil hats and the aliens read her thoughts?" It is too terrible to think about! OP had better sit home forever because something bad might happen!

 
Old 08-11-2009, 04:43 PM
 
Location: Boone, NC
1,155 posts, read 3,143,886 times
Reputation: 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by vindaloo View Post
I thought that if you are drawing unemployment in California, you had to be looking for employment in California? Are you planning on using it until the time limit runs out and apply for N.C. unemployment? Why did you come to N.C.? Are you planning on attempting on spending your working life on unemployment? How can you get unemployment in N.C. if you haven't worked here?
If you're drawing UI from another state, you can continue to draw from that state but you must register at the employment office in the state you move to and look for work in your new location.

To file a new UI claim in NC, you must have adequate NC wages in the base period. So there are safeguards in place to prevent people from filing UI in NC if they haven't worked here.

CharlotteCharlotte's UI is being paid by CA, not NC. She will not be eligible to file a UI claim in NC until she has worked an adequate amount in NC to have wages in her base period.
 
Old 08-11-2009, 04:47 PM
 
34 posts, read 84,104 times
Reputation: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteCharlotte View Post
You don't understand. If I get a job paying 8 dollars an hour I will be losing money. How will I pay my bills? My rent? You don't understand.

I think you already know what to do about your situation... Do the math and go with the option that will give you the most money... There's nothing wrong with staying on the unemployment until the job market strengthens... Keep in mind NC pays less than CA...
 
Old 08-11-2009, 05:00 PM
 
1,039 posts, read 2,666,665 times
Reputation: 481
Quote:
Originally Posted by amploud View Post
"What happens when..." could probably be used to justify most anything in some people's minds.

There's no guarantee that you'll "get fired for taking time off of an $8/hr job to interview for a "real" job that pays what you're used to earning and then you don't get the job you interviewed for." This is utter nonsense. Schedule interviews on your days off.

It's called "planning." It's expected much of the time from adults and most of the time in the workplace.

We could play "what happens when" all day. As in: "What happens when the OP's unemployment runs out and the economy has gotten even worse and there aren't any $8 or $9 hour jobs available?" Or: "What happens when a terrorist steals the OP's car and uses it to blow up a federal building, thus framing her?" Or: "What happens when the OP's new employer won't allow foil hats and the aliens read her thoughts?" It is too terrible to think about! OP had better sit home forever because something bad might happen!
Amen!
 
Old 08-11-2009, 05:04 PM
 
1,453 posts, read 4,687,886 times
Reputation: 734
Quote:
Originally Posted by amploud View Post
"What happens when..." could probably be used to justify most anything in some people's minds.

There's no guarantee that you'll "get fired for taking time off of an $8/hr job to interview for a "real" job that pays what you're used to earning and then you don't get the job you interviewed for." This is utter nonsense. Schedule interviews on your days off.

It's called "planning." It's expected much of the time from adults and most of the time in the workplace.

We could play "what happens when" all day. As in: "What happens when the OP's unemployment runs out and the economy has gotten even worse and there aren't any $8 or $9 hour jobs available?" Or: "What happens when a terrorist steals the OP's car and uses it to blow up a federal building, thus framing her?" Or: "What happens when the OP's new employer won't allow foil hats and the aliens read her thoughts?" It is too terrible to think about! OP had better sit home forever because something bad might happen!
You're not being reasonable. If you are working a $7/hr job and someone calls you for an interview for a $50k/yr job you don't have the option of "planning" the interview around your work schedule. You don't know what you're talking about; I do. I've been there, done that. Employers DO NOT CARE whether you need time off. All they care about is that you're taking time off. You cannot work a $7/hr job, 40 hrs a week and dilligently seek other employment.
 
Old 08-11-2009, 05:06 PM
 
1,453 posts, read 4,687,886 times
Reputation: 734
My point is that is you **** off your $7/hr employer and get fired you will not qualify for unemployment benefits. So, if you think you won't work out there best not take the job to start with. Get it???
 
Old 08-11-2009, 05:33 PM
 
1,039 posts, read 2,666,665 times
Reputation: 481
Quote:
Originally Posted by businessperson View Post
My point is that is you **** off your $7/hr employer and get fired you will not qualify for unemployment benefits. So, if you think you won't work out there best not take the job to start with. Get it???
This person is not qualified for a $50K job. They have said themselves they lack those kinds of qualifications. They are looking for the perfect job for an underqualified person. Hence why I say again, in their particular situation, take the jobs offered you regardless of the pay. Then adjust your living situation, pay things off, get cheaper housing, eventually take a couple of classes at CPCC and EARN your way into a better situation!!!
 
Old 08-11-2009, 05:40 PM
 
716 posts, read 1,358,010 times
Reputation: 268
Quote:
Originally Posted by gkleoni1 View Post
They are looking for the perfect job for an underqualified person. Hence why I say again, in their particular situation, take the jobs offered you regardless of the pay.

I was getting 20 dollars an hour at my last job(was employed there 7 years) in CA which is what my unemployment is based off of. If your telling me to go ahead and take a 7 dollar an hour job I mine as well start looking for a job when my unemployment is 6-8 weeks from running out.
 
Old 08-11-2009, 05:50 PM
 
1,039 posts, read 2,666,665 times
Reputation: 481
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteCharlotte View Post
I was getting 20 dollars an hour at my last job(was employed there 7 years) in CA which is what my unemployment is based off of. If your telling me to go ahead and take a 7 dollar an hour job I mine as well start looking for a job when my unemployment is 6-8 weeks from running out.
$20/hr in CA is equal to anywhere from $10.50 - $15 per hour here. And you yourself admit you EARNED that $20/hr rate by having been employed there for 7 YEARS. So yes I do think you should take the $8/hr job here, be grateful, adjust your living expenses, take some class and EARN a better future.
 
Old 08-11-2009, 06:14 PM
 
1,163 posts, read 1,960,681 times
Reputation: 1106
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteCharlotte View Post
I was getting 20 dollars an hour at my last job....
Doing what?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:43 PM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top