U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2009, 03:54 PM

716 posts, read 1,358,010 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know of any jobs that pay over 15 an hour? I am seriously thinking about getting a job but alot of the work is paying just 8-9 an hour. I don't know if I could afford that kind of pay cut. My unemployment pays more than this. What would you do if you were in my situation?

Old 08-07-2009, 04:10 PM

172 posts, read 405,862 times
I would take the job and continue looking for a higher paying position even within the same company. Every job my DH has ever had he has advanced very quickly. It's always easier to find a job when you already have a job. You'll increase your contacts and opportunities. Much better than sitting home collecting a check.

Old 08-07-2009, 04:13 PM

1,928 posts, read 3,192,477 times
I think it's just the worst situation to be in. My niece's husband is in the same position. He's a carpenter. Even if he is lucky enough to find a job, it will pay less than his unemployment. And he has applied for a ton of jobs with no callbacks. Obviously his fear is eventually the unemployment will run out before he is called back to work.

I think I would continue looking but take the unemployment. Maybe you will hit on something. But even that might be cutting it close if you don't find anything before it is up.

Any hope of going back to your old job? Anyway this whole job situation stinks.

Don't think I was much help. But good luck in your tough decision.

Old 08-07-2009, 04:17 PM

Yes it is very bad. Even if I do find a job it will pay much less than unemployment and plus I would have too dish out money for extra food and fuel. This whole situation just stinks. I just wish I could find a decent paying job.

Old 08-07-2009, 04:20 PM

171 posts, read 211,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zatol View Post
I would take the job and continue looking for a higher paying position even within the same company. Every job my DH has ever had he has advanced very quickly. It's always easier to find a job when you already have a job. You'll increase your contacts and opportunities. Much better than sitting home collecting a check.

Old 08-07-2009, 04:21 PM

Also I am collecting unemployment from the state of California so even if I do find a job here and get laid off after say a few months I may not even be eligible for unemployment and plus the UI benefits here may pay much less than what I am currently receiving.

Old 08-07-2009, 04:31 PM

62 posts, read 149,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteCharlotte View Post
Does anyone know of any jobs that pay over 15 an hour? I am seriously thinking about getting a job but alot of the work is paying just 8-9 an hour. I don't know if I could afford that kind of pay cut. My unemployment pays more than this. What would you do if you were in my situation?
Get off your butt and look for some work; even if it only pays $9/hour and is part time. It pisses me off that people like you don't even TRY to look for work because "alot of the work is paying just 8-9 an hour". That is your excuse?? Contribute to the local economy instead of just sitting there basically taking welfare. This is part of why NC's unemployment is so damn high...

Old 08-07-2009, 04:36 PM

55,520 posts, read 74,405,087 times
unemployment (UIB) is like the rides at magic mountain, lots of waiting, a big thrill, but is over all too soon.

Old 08-07-2009, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCnut View Post
Get off your butt and look for some work; even if it only pays $9/hour and is part time. It pisses me off that people like you don't even TRY to look for work because "alot of the work is paying just 8-9 an hour". That is your excuse?? Contribute to the local economy instead of just sitting there basically taking welfare. This is part of why NC's unemployment is so damn high...

You don't understand. If I get a job paying 8 dollars an hour I will be losing money. How will I pay my bills? My rent? You don't understand.

Old 08-07-2009, 04:48 PM

24 posts, read 69,792 times
I was on unemployment the last half of 2006. I was drawing $440 a month before taxes. I was allowed to make up to about $150 a week additional before my benefits where reduced. If I made say $200 a week my unemployment would be $390 and that extra $50 would just stay in the total amount I would draw, so I could stretch it out even longer than the original 6 months if I didn't draw the full amount each week. You should double check yours and make sure you don't have a similar arrangement. I would take the job and draw partial unemployment as long as you need until you find a job that pays enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte