U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2009, 10:36 PM

1 posts, read 1,197 times

Advertisements

My fiance and I are looking to move to Charlotte in a about a year and a half. How is the job market for CDL drivers??? ALso is crime as bad as they say? Or are there areas that has not been effected by the criminal minded people..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2009, 06:19 AM

510 posts, read 1,845,908 times
As for crime, just within the past week there have been numerous posts on here, just scroll through. Also check the Charlotte Observer . com website or the CMPD, just recently there was a crime report in the Charlotte Observer with maps. Not sure what the area will be like in a year and a half, but things are looking better there than they have over the last year. We can only hope things will keep improving. As for CDL's no idea, maybe someone else will post to answer that.

Old 08-08-2009, 06:37 AM

769 posts, read 1,985,237 times
Interestingly, they just had a piece on the news last night about a lot of "white collar" workers turning to trucking as an alternative after being laid off. Unfortunately, they didn't get into how many jobs are left (that I saw, anyway). This area used to be huge in manufacturing, but not so much anymore. But there are still some companies headquartered here, so there has to be some stuff, but I'd expect along with everything else not as much as there might be since people who in the past weren't in this line of work are making "career changes" in any direction necessary now.

I did a Google search on "trucking Charlotte NC" and there are a number of companies listed (Google). I'd suggest just starting to work your way through, see what's posted and start contacting them.

Old 08-08-2009, 07:25 AM

539 posts, read 1,314,818 times
As with any metropoliton area there are good parts and bad parts, it is just a matter of doing research. As for CDL jobs it is impossible to speculate how things will be in 18 months from now.

Old 08-08-2009, 07:41 AM

693 posts, read 1,958,589 times
As I mentioned in another post on crime, I live in Matthews a reasonably quiet and nice in many ways suburb...but...we have had strong armed robberies and home invasions in broad daylight. I don't necessarily think it's fair to blame the area...I think crime goes up whenever the economy goes south.

Last edited by Damemeow; 08-08-2009 at 08:18 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte