U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-10-2009, 02:23 PM
 
841 posts, read 1,241,107 times
Reputation: 450

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by getatag View Post
lowercountry You are arguing "against" the grain here. We are suffering from the overcrowded conditions, taxes are on the way up and there's no ceiling in sight. Why would you try to reason with someone who has talked themselves out of moving here because our laws are archaic and our police are unreasonable. Leave it alone, agree with them and hopefully they won't move here.
Excellent suggestion!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-10-2009, 02:52 PM
 
1,877 posts, read 4,317,510 times
Reputation: 1243
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowercountry View Post
Your points are completely illogical IMHO. The cop has every right to stop someone if they have reason to question them. It's the price we all pay for vigilant neighborhoods. People often complain that neighbors don't care; this one did, and the police did their job well. If vigilant neighbors paints a "bleak" picture to you, what about stories of neighborhoods were people look the other way, only to find out later that a crime took place.

The reasoning of your point about the stop being bogus and thus so are the tickets? That's a weaselly way out and not based in law. Simply a way to try to beat the rap when one is admittedly guilty.

I, for one, am much more concerned about the safety of his children in this case rather than the perceived "slight" of being harassed.
Are you serious?? What happened to "probable cause"? So now, the cops can just pull over whomever the hell they choose for no reason at all?? Sure, his tag was expired, but I'm willing to bet that 99.9% of LE anywhere would not have noticed w/o conducting a traffic stop.

As for the car seats- Ive pulled kids out of mangled cars. I know what safety devices can do. I also have my own kids, and know that it is VERY easy for them to silently unbuckle a seatbelt. I have to wonder if any of you who villified the guy over that have your own kids, and know for fact that they've kept their belts on EVERY time you've been out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-10-2009, 03:17 PM
 
Location: oklahoma
422 posts, read 1,756,216 times
Reputation: 331
I am troubled by the police officers in the Carolina areas- I too was pulled over in South Carolina because a cop "thought I might have had my seat belt off"- I always wear a seat belt and he started questioning me about where I was going and what I was doing- complete harassment. I think he just pulled me over because of out-of-state plates. He wasn't even in a position to see my seat belt- it was just an illegal stop. However, the people I met and talked with all were pleasant and friendly to me, I might still consider the move after all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-10-2009, 04:43 PM
 
841 posts, read 1,241,107 times
Reputation: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoagie58 View Post
Are you serious?? What happened to "probable cause"? So now, the cops can just pull over whomever the hell they choose for no reason at all?? Sure, his tag was expired, but I'm willing to bet that 99.9% of LE anywhere would not have noticed w/o conducting a traffic stop.

As for the car seats- Ive pulled kids out of mangled cars. I know what safety devices can do. I also have my own kids, and know that it is VERY easy for them to silently unbuckle a seatbelt. I have to wonder if any of you who villified the guy over that have your own kids, and know for fact that they've kept their belts on EVERY time you've been out.
He had probable cause. You even admit it with the expired tag (nevermind the report of suspicious activity). Then you attempt to dismiss that with some made up "99.9%" number.

To your second point. The officers are to enforce the laws on the books so your idea about them perhaps not being safe? Moot. To your last point? Yes I indeed do make sure my children are ALWAYS buckled in and they have been taught the dangers of doing otherwise. My children are my responsibility.

It would seem to me that you perhaps have an issue with law enforcement because there seems to be an underlying tone (I apologize if I am reading you wrong). If I had been in the EXACT same situation and the officer pulled me over because of questioning neighbors, I would have explained myself and thanked the officer for being so vigilant. Then, I might actually be MORE inclined to like the neighborhood with such vigilant neighbors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-10-2009, 04:45 PM
 
841 posts, read 1,241,107 times
Reputation: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkx7 View Post
it was just an illegal stop.
Define an illegal stop please. Would that be only when you are indeed guilty of a crime? Also, were you on I-95? If so, I am willing to bet they were checking you out for drug running. The drug trafficking on I-95 is so rampant that the courts have allowed police to check out drivers (though I think it is way over the top... it is legal).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-10-2009, 05:29 PM
 
Location: NE Charlotte, NC (University City)
1,894 posts, read 5,743,598 times
Reputation: 1041
Because of idiotic thoughts like the ones presented in this thread (and others like it), the cops are very aware of what a "legal" stop is and is not. An expired tag is a sure-fire way to get pulled over just so they can poke around and see what you're doing wrong. If you're on the up-and-up, they can sense it before you even put your window down and you're on your way with a "go get that corrected today" verbal warning. Be a douche bag and/or have something to hide, you're gonna get rung up.

And yes, I would be suspicious of a car in my neighborhood (more specifically, on my street) that seemed out of place. It's called being concerned for my multi-thousand dollar investment called my home. If that car has nothing to hide and legit, they smile and wave to the cops and nothing happens. If they've got no business being there, they get a message that the neighborhood is not full of a bunch of stiffs that sit around drooling on their sofas not giving a damn about what goes on outside.

You folks with the "police need to get something better to do attitude" need to drop your one or two bad experiences you've had (and brought upon yourselves) and realize that the police is there to serve and protect...and occasionally, harass the thugs/punks/douches/a-holes that need it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-10-2009, 05:42 PM
 
2,216 posts, read 2,392,196 times
Reputation: 3192
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metallisteve View Post
Because of idiotic thoughts like the ones presented in this thread (and others like it), the cops are very aware of what a "legal" stop is and is not. An expired tag is a sure-fire way to get pulled over just so they can poke around and see what you're doing wrong. If you're on the up-and-up, they can sense it before you even put your window down and you're on your way with a "go get that corrected today" verbal warning. Be a douche bag and/or have something to hide, you're gonna get rung up.

And yes, I would be suspicious of a car in my neighborhood (more specifically, on my street) that seemed out of place. It's called being concerned for my multi-thousand dollar investment called my home. If that car has nothing to hide and legit, they smile and wave to the cops and nothing happens. If they've got no business being there, they get a message that the neighborhood is not full of a bunch of stiffs that sit around drooling on their sofas not giving a damn about what goes on outside.

You folks with the "police need to get something better to do attitude" need to drop your one or two bad experiences you've had (and brought upon yourselves) and realize that the police is there to serve and protect...and occasionally, harass the thugs/punks/douches/a-holes that need it.
So, the baby not sleeping through the night yet? You seem a bit edgy. Consistent and correct, but edgy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-10-2009, 05:52 PM
 
1,877 posts, read 4,317,510 times
Reputation: 1243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metallisteve View Post
Because of idiotic thoughts like the ones presented in this thread (and others like it), the cops are very aware of what a "legal" stop is and is not. An expired tag is a sure-fire way to get pulled over just so they can poke around and see what you're doing wrong. If you're on the up-and-up, they can sense it before you even put your window down and you're on your way with a "go get that corrected today" verbal warning. Be a douche bag and/or have something to hide, you're gonna get rung up.

And yes, I would be suspicious of a car in my neighborhood (more specifically, on my street) that seemed out of place. It's called being concerned for my multi-thousand dollar investment called my home. If that car has nothing to hide and legit, they smile and wave to the cops and nothing happens. If they've got no business being there, they get a message that the neighborhood is not full of a bunch of stiffs that sit around drooling on their sofas not giving a damn about what goes on outside.

You folks with the "police need to get something better to do attitude" need to drop your one or two bad experiences you've had (and brought upon yourselves) and realize that the police is there to serve and protect...and occasionally, harass the thugs/punks/douches/a-holes that need it.
So, making sure the police know what is and is not a legal stop is idiotic? Bet the same thought thrived in Nazi Germany.

Sure, they need to harass the thugs et al that need it. Thing is, my driving through your neighborhood (or you mine) does not make me (or you) a thug. Pretty damn sanctimonious to be able to think you can determine who does and doesnt belong somewhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-10-2009, 06:28 PM
 
2,216 posts, read 2,392,196 times
Reputation: 3192
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoagie58 View Post
So, making sure the police know what is and is not a legal stop is idiotic? Bet the same thought thrived in Nazi Germany.

Sure, they need to harass the thugs et al that need it. Thing is, my driving through your neighborhood (or you mine) does not make me (or you) a thug. Pretty damn sanctimonious to be able to think you can determine who does and doesnt belong somewhere.
Hoagie, let it die! You ain't gonna win this one. You can't tell the police what is legal and what isn't, that's sanctimonious... ha, ha!

I constantly determine who appears to belong in my neighborhood and who doesn't. It's a simple call when I see something that I feel is suspicious. (Key words.... I FEEL, not you, not the Police, not the drunk at the end of the bar..... I FEEL they are suspicious so I call it in, my right, in fact, my obligation to my neighbors.) We are a close knit group here and we have stopped crime and instigated arrests by being "sanctimonious" thank you! It works, we even have a name for it, "Neighborhood Watch" we have a call tree that alerts others on the street and surrounding streets to what we see and hear. The Neighborhood Watch is published in our newsletter, it is updated, we even have block captains that reinforce it.
The Police actually encourage it. They come and talk to us about crime once a year at our General meeting. The Police have compiled an email list of neighbors and we get alerts and information monthly from our town deputy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-10-2009, 06:44 PM
 
Location: Waxhaw
441 posts, read 1,011,175 times
Reputation: 233
Knowing how cops like to protect people (lots of family in law enforcement) I know that they get really irked when you have the option to protect an innocent & don't. Even letting an animal run around in your car will get them peeved. It's kinda like how prisoners look at child molesters. No excuses, they just wanna hurt them. I don't think you'll get any sympathy from a judge or anyone else within the law. I would just pay & forget it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Similar Threads
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:24 AM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top