U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-10-2009, 07:36 PM
 
841 posts, read 1,240,411 times
Reputation: 450

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoagie58 View Post
So, making sure the police know what is and is not a legal stop is idiotic? Bet the same thought thrived in Nazi Germany.
I think his point was the police know far better than you what is and is not a legal stop. Your latter comment is hyperbolic and specious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-10-2009, 09:55 PM
 
Location: Statesville, NC
60 posts, read 143,514 times
Reputation: 22
Good post...too bad there wasn't anyone that can answer your question w/o saying something judgemental first!

I hear what you were saying. I can't answer your question and I hope after you find out you come back to this thread and let me know what the outcome was. I know what its like to have a kid unstrap themselves while driving.

I have strapped my 4 year old in his booster seat for whatever reason with the music on I did not hear the boy unstrap himself. The police pulled me over because he was across from me and saw that my son was on the booster seat but wasn't strapped in. When the cop said I'm pulling you over because of my son. I turned around and my son just looked at me and said, "I'm sorry mommy, it was hurting me." Cop heard his comment still gave me a ticket but I was so upset. I just had to pay the fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-11-2009, 08:33 AM
 
3,774 posts, read 7,014,883 times
Reputation: 4402
Bummer that you got a ticket. Without having been there, I'll refrain from judgement regarding the OP or the police officer's justifications... Glad that your kids got secured/buckled back up though.

Me? I've figured out a foolproof way to know exactly what my daughter is doing in the backseat... I just look in the mirror. I'm always checking them anyway, and she's just there.

I've tried, but I can't find much sympathy for folks who have trouble keeping their kids buckled up. I never thought it would be such a pervasive issue, lol. It's not entirely surprising though... given the general awareness level of much of the driving public.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-11-2009, 08:56 AM
 
2,341 posts, read 4,056,457 times
Reputation: 1667
Steve, you're wrong if you think the police can sense that folks are on the up and up so they let them go on their merry way. Way wrong. People are stopped and harrassed for no "real" reason. Happens every day. That doesn't mean that I'm on the Police have nothing better to do band wagon, just means I'm realistic and know how life works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metallisteve View Post
Because of idiotic thoughts like the ones presented in this thread (and others like it), the cops are very aware of what a "legal" stop is and is not. An expired tag is a sure-fire way to get pulled over just so they can poke around and see what you're doing wrong. If you're on the up-and-up, they can sense it before you even put your window down and you're on your way with a "go get that corrected today" verbal warning. Be a douche bag and/or have something to hide, you're gonna get rung up.

And yes, I would be suspicious of a car in my neighborhood (more specifically, on my street) that seemed out of place. It's called being concerned for my multi-thousand dollar investment called my home. If that car has nothing to hide and legit, they smile and wave to the cops and nothing happens. If they've got no business being there, they get a message that the neighborhood is not full of a bunch of stiffs that sit around drooling on their sofas not giving a damn about what goes on outside.

You folks with the "police need to get something better to do attitude" need to drop your one or two bad experiences you've had (and brought upon yourselves) and realize that the police is there to serve and protect...and occasionally, harass the thugs/punks/douches/a-holes that need it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-11-2009, 09:19 AM
 
Location: NE Charlotte, NC (University City)
1,894 posts, read 5,740,524 times
Reputation: 1041
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoagie58 View Post
...my driving through your neighborhood (or you mine) does not make me (or you) a thug...
Before I get completely misunderstood, let me clarify:

Let's be realistic; I can't possibly know every car that "belongs" in my neighborhood and which don't. But, using the half brain that my neanderthal skull houses, and putting all PC talk aside, I can ascertain suspicious from not. Stopping for prolonged periods in front of houses (especially ones without a for sale sign). Driver and passengers looking edgy or up to no good (the typical civilized human doesn't stare people down or present themselves in a threatening manner). The list goes on and on. No I'm not going to call the cops on someone's uncle John that's trying to find Sunday evening dinner at a house he's never been to. But I will call on that car that I've never seen that's been driving around slow, stopping in front of a few houses, and the occupants looking all around the car. Maybe they're looking for a new house, maybe they're scoping the neighborhood. It hurts none to find out...and potentially protects many if it were the rare worst case.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-11-2009, 05:29 PM
 
1,877 posts, read 4,315,263 times
Reputation: 1243
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowercountry View Post
I think his point was the police know far better than you what is and is not a legal stop. Your latter comment is hyperbolic and specious.
You're right, and my apologies for being hyperbolic and specious.

A better comparison would have been the McCarthy era communist hunts.

It is our duty to report people we believe look out of place.

We have NO business questioning authority- we should do what the police officer says, and disregard that they are civil servants. Everyone knows that all police are good, and therefore need not be policed themselves.

Most importantly, we need to remember that questioning authority is un-American. Just do what GovCo tell you to, and everything will be alright!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-11-2009, 05:35 PM
 
Location: NE Charlotte, NC (University City)
1,894 posts, read 5,740,524 times
Reputation: 1041
So what was your address again Hoagie? I've got some weed that I found in the woods that I'd like to offload...and I'm dying to find a neighborhood that wouldn't mind me setting up shop in a cul-de-sac.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-11-2009, 05:57 PM
 
1,877 posts, read 4,315,263 times
Reputation: 1243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metallisteve View Post
So what was your address again Hoagie? I've got some weed that I found in the woods that I'd like to offload...and I'm dying to find a neighborhood that wouldn't mind me setting up shop in a cul-de-sac.
Yeah, I can totally see the comparison of someone hustling weed next door, and the police indiscriminately pulling people over, based on the reports of people living in the neighborhood.

By all means, report illegal activity. Last I checked, cruising through a subdivision is NOT illegal, and does not merit a traffic stop. I live in a cul-de-sac, and frankly, if I called the cops every time a car I didnt recognize drove through, they'd have to open another substation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-11-2009, 08:57 PM
 
Location: NE Charlotte, NC (University City)
1,894 posts, read 5,740,524 times
Reputation: 1041
So you still don't get what I'm saying?!?! *Suspicious* cars/people/activity warrant checking out. Use your discretion to figure out what "suspicious" is. If they need to be kicking in a door, dragging women and children into the street for you to think about it, then that's your level. If all they need to do is look at your street sign for you to call the cops, then that's your level. I typically find somewhere in between.

If that doesn't get it across, I don't know what will. A visit from the Ghost of Christmas Past/Present/Future?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-11-2009, 09:32 PM
 
Location: WNC
1,492 posts, read 2,210,010 times
Reputation: 1325
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout007 View Post
My point is this I didn't know my kids was out of the car seat. They had unstrapped themselves without me knowing. They wasn't jumping around or sitting up. They was sitting back with their strap unloose. I'm wrong about the tag, but the point is The person did under estimate my appearance. The officer even told me. I'm not a racist person, but the fact is the person had no other reason to call the police on me. I know who the person was that called. We stopped at the house doors down from the homeowner that called. She under estimated my appearance. I have every right to put the reason why I think she called. It will sound racist if I said they called because the color of my skin. But I don't think my skin had anything to do with it or maybe it did, I don't know so I tried to look at it like maybe it was my car. I do deserve the right to have a ticket, I should have payed more attention to my kids, but my point is will they offer me a class or should I just pay because theirs no other way out.

keep in mind that in these tough times, break-ins have shot up drastically. You looked suspicious, so they called the cops.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Similar Threads
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:05 AM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top