Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2009, 01:42 PM

5,408 posts, read 5,882,125 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkx7 View Post
I disagree with those sentiments completely. There are definite areas where the speed limit is deliberately reduced just to catch "speeders" of someone who is always a careful driver. Actually, speed limit signs are useless if someone is genuinely paying attention and going a speed that is safe. Obviously for someone never having a speeding ticket for 15 years of their license means they are a responcible and good driver. They would not have been going that fast in that zone unless they felt it was a safe speed. Cops just do this to make revenue, not for safety reasons. There are also times when speed zones suddenly change too and you might still be slowing down before the cop catches you going the previous speed.
The point is we can argue it anyway we want, but the law is the law. If you exceed the speed limit you are fair game for a ticket. I've had my share of speeding tickets. If you want to play with the big boys, you have to take your lumps. I do know a couple of good lawyers in my county and the neighboring county.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2009, 02:42 PM

3,071 posts, read 9,092,426 times
Only being a very little over the 15 mph limit you should have no trouble getting it reduced with a lawyer or no lawyer. As long as its the first ticket you have received in a long time and didnt smart talk the cop. No need to call any friggin insurance company because its none of their business until you get a conviction and then the find out without you telling them....

Old 08-10-2009, 06:36 PM

1,894 posts, read 6,434,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkx7 View Post
I disagree with those sentiments completely...
I'm thankful that you're not in a position that deals directly with the factors involved here (traffic engineering or public safety)...as it's obvious that you're clueless to it all. You might...just maybe...be correct in a po-dunk backwoods rural town outside of any typical suburban America, in saying there are deliberate speed reduction just to generate revenue. Somewhere that Barney Fife is just trying to set an example or has a chip on his shoulder. But here in the rest of the world, what you are misconstruing to make up for your lack of attention to the posted speed limit (resulting in your ticket that's given you this sentiment) is likely the result of residents requesting a lower speed to keep their streets safe. The police will undoubtedly enforce a little bit heavier in that area to make sure people get the point that they're to slow down in that particular stretch of road.

It doesn't really matter why the speed is posted at what it is. As soon as you go faster than it, you're breaking the law and are running the personal risk of getting a ticket. Be a man (or woman) enough to accept the consequences and stop throwing all sorts of absurd thoughts at why things are the way they are.

Old 08-10-2009, 07:27 PM

444 posts, read 1,643,046 times
Default speeding ticket

I believe that In the state of North Carolina you are entitled to one free ticket as long as it is not over 10 miles of the posted speed limit. The judge will gladly reduce the ticket within the 10 miles if you can produce a copy of your MVR showing you have not had any tickets.

This will save you quite a bit on your insurance premiums for the next three years.

I also understand that you can go to school to reduce the points on your drivers license but I really don't know anything about that system.

If you have questions contact a insurance agent and ask them the question about the 10 miles and how you can get a copy of your MVR.
I know you can go on line and order one.

Hope this has been helpful!

Dunroven

Old 08-10-2009, 08:30 PM

999 posts, read 4,636,537 times
I was clocked at 16mph over as well in June, went to court last week. No lawyer, just me. Got there well before 9 am, at 9 am someone came out to the hallway, and divided the hoards of waiting people into 2 lines, those wanting a "simple speed reduction" in one (me) and all else in the other (they got to go into the court room).
There were 2 "suits" at the front of the line, looked like they were about 21 yrs old....maybe they just passed the bar, if even, they were what we were waiting for. No one even spoke, you just took your turn, handed them your ticket, they scribbled something on it in green marker, done. No discussion of what you did or did not do, no check of your driving record, nothing. For me and the other 2 people I talked with (one for doing 6 mph over, the other was doing 10 over---don't know why they were even there) we were all reduced to 5 over the limit, paid our fines and walked away. I was done at 9:18 am.
Had to wait for my neighbor who I drove there (found out we had court the same day!) who had a stop sign ticket, she had to go into the courtroom, ended up using a prayer for justice, and has to go to traffic court,which is costing her more than my fine did.
I worried about what I was going to do, did I need a lawyer, etc, but in the end it was not bad at all. I paid my fine and I now watch every speed limit sign and pay attention to what speed I'm going.

Old 08-11-2009, 10:23 AM

1,894 posts, read 6,434,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joanchris2000 View Post
...I paid my fine and I now watch every speed limit sign and pay attention to what speed I'm going.
You're a rarity and I commend you for this! 99.99% of the rest of the world just chalks it up to knowing how to get out of the next ticket.

Old 08-11-2009, 10:11 PM

5,255 posts, read 5,177,381 times
I too had a ticket from a couple weeks ago on 77 near Tyvola...I got a 73 in a 55 (of course, I was following 3 other vehichles in the left lane and was barely passing those in the center lane, but I was the one pulled over)...I know I was speeding, but the citation doesn't have the amount I'd have to pay on it...he said I had to go to the court and it says I have to go 8/20...now, I don't plan to fight it at all, I was just wanting to pay it and move on...can I just call and find out how much it would be and pay it w/out having to show up at all...again, I know I was speeding and don't plan on fighting it, especially since I haven't had one in 6 yrs and it's only my 2nd one ever.

Old 08-12-2009, 06:49 AM

4,010 posts, read 10,158,789 times
The reason you can't just pay the ticket is because 73 in a 55 means 18 over speed limit. This won't be a simple speeding ticket. In NC the law states this....
GS: 20-141(j1) - A person who drives a vehicle on a highway at a speed that is either more than 15 miles per hour more than the speed limit established by law for the highway where the offense occurred or over 80 miles per hour is guilty of a Class 2 misdemeanor.
You need to look at your ticket and see what exactly you were charged with. Even if you don't plan to fight it, you might want to consider pleading with the Judge to reduce the charges to the one that is less than 15 over.

Old 08-12-2009, 08:16 AM

999 posts, read 4,636,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohioaninsc View Post
I too had a ticket from a couple weeks ago on 77 near Tyvola...I got a 73 in a 55 (of course, I was following 3 other vehichles in the left lane and was barely passing those in the center lane, but I was the one pulled over)...I know I was speeding, but the citation doesn't have the amount I'd have to pay on it...he said I had to go to the court and it says I have to go 8/20...now, I don't plan to fight it at all, I was just wanting to pay it and move on...can I just call and find out how much it would be and pay it w/out having to show up at all...again, I know I was speeding and don't plan on fighting it, especially since I haven't had one in 6 yrs and it's only my 2nd one ever.
Yes, you have to go in, read my post above, just line up for "simple speed reduction", they'll knock it down to 5 or 9 over and you'll pay a lesser fine. No judge, no lawyer, just you, and get there early.

Old 08-12-2009, 09:16 AM

5,408 posts, read 5,882,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joanchris2000 View Post
Yes, you have to go in, read my post above, just line up for "simple speed reduction", they'll knock it down to 5 or 9 over and you'll pay a lesser fine. No judge, no lawyer, just you, and get there early.
Be careful, this procedure differs from county to county in NC. We used to have an Asst. DA line that allowed you to plead down your case and avoid the court date. It is no longer offered. Call the county office of the DA and check to see what's available in your area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte