Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2009, 09:50 PM

4,713 posts, read 9,696,757 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagocubs View Post
There is a growing group of people that are really against the whole HOA idea. I am sure that we will be hearing a lot more about this in the future.
Great...and they can all live in non-HOA communities and be perfectly content. Those of us who are quite satisfied (or even prefer) to have an HOA can wave to you from across the street where we will not have to hear your griping about how bad and evil all HOAs are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2009, 07:32 AM

15 posts, read 46,230 times
You are legally required to pay your HOA dues. An invoice from your HOA is just a courtesy, not receiving one is not an excuse not to pay the money you owe. Once you have ignored your responsibility for a period of time, the HOA will turn collection over to an attorney and all conversations regarding your account must go through the attorney.

Old 08-19-2009, 09:24 AM

6,151 posts, read 10,022,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eli Fisher View Post
You are legally required to pay your HOA dues. An invoice from your HOA is just a courtesy, not receiving one is not an excuse not to pay the money you owe. Once you have ignored your responsibility for a period of time, the HOA will turn collection over to an attorney and all conversations regarding your account must go through the attorney.
lol

If I read this thread cold, I'd most certainly never consider a HOA. This last response capturing it perfectly - albeit "correct", it has that tinge of power and attitude that pretty well sums up the thread for me. YOU DONT PAY, WE DONE WITH YOU!

There doesn't appear to be anything "community" about HOAs - it's simply business, politics, and in some cases - headaches.

Old 08-19-2009, 09:27 AM

14,688 posts, read 26,603,990 times
It seems that by moving into a community with a HOA you are giving a group unknown to you a huge amount of power over your life. Is there even a way to investigate issues with a HOA before moving into a neighborhood?

Old 08-19-2009, 10:32 AM

622 posts, read 1,781,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
It seems that by moving into a community with a HOA you are giving a group unknown to you a huge amount of power over your life. Is there even a way to investigate issues with a HOA before moving into a neighborhood?
I recommend that you get a copy of the HOA rules and read them thoroughly. I strongly recommend that if there is a community newsletter, you get a couple of issues and read the info regarding the results of the HOA meeting.
Without mentioning the name of the community, a copy of the newsletter revealed that a set of patio furniture was inappropriate and needed to be removed, a porcelain cat on a living room window sill that could be seen from the sidewalk was inappropriate and had to be removed, and on-and-on. This info indicated the state of mind of the HOA and my clients couldn't run away from it fast enough.

Old 08-19-2009, 01:15 PM

9,116 posts, read 17,718,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belmarin View Post
I recommend that you get a copy of the HOA rules and read them thoroughly. I strongly recommend that if there is a community newsletter, you get a couple of issues and read the info regarding the results of the HOA meeting.
Without mentioning the name of the community, a copy of the newsletter revealed that a set of patio furniture was inappropriate and needed to be removed, a porcelain cat on a living room window sill that could be seen from the sidewalk was inappropriate and had to be removed, and on-and-on. This info indicated the state of mind of the HOA and my clients couldn't run away from it fast enough.
Or you could have it 180 degrees the other way. You could have an HOA that doesn't do diddly......

Again, the main point is ignorance is no excuse, and do your homework to see if it is for you...many are extremely happy with there own HOA.

Old 08-19-2009, 02:34 PM

22,314 posts, read 29,395,806 times
OMG are you kidding me about the patio furniture and the cat statue??? Give me an F-ing break! Pathetic

Old 08-19-2009, 03:08 PM

4,010 posts, read 10,206,112 times
The HOA can't just make up rules as they see fit. They are in the bylaws and these bylaws can't be changed without agreement from not only a majority of the homes in the community but usually 80% - 90% of the community. Not all HOWs have very strict rules. Some do, and can restrict everything you make visible to the street such as what you put in your windows and plant in your yards, etc. Other HOAs don't have rules like this and are mostly limited to collecting dues to cover expenses for common property like pools, playgrounds and landscaping and approving major exterior changes to houses. Furthermore the courts have ruled that if a HOA is inconsistent in applying these rules, then they can't hold a specific owner to them.

The difference is a neighborhood where there are no rules and people can put anything they want in the yard, paint their house any color and bolt a trailer onto the side if they need more space on one extreme, to one with rules so tight it looks like the Truman Show. There is everything in between.

HOAs are not in themselves bad. What is bad are people who buy a home in one of these neighborhoods without taking the time to understand what the HOA rules are, then make a huge stink about it. Personally I prefer to live in a neighborhood where the houses are not painted garish two toned colors, where boats and commercial vehicles are not parked out front, and where there are no chain link fences and similar. A HOA guarantees this. Others might not like these kinds of restrictions and there is a very easy answer to that.

Old 08-19-2009, 03:14 PM

6,777 posts, read 13,547,001 times
In my experience most HOAs do have some petty rules, but not all of them enforce them. The only way to figure out how strict they are is living there, asking neighbors, or seeing if anyone has posted anything about it on the net.

For instance, we are supposed to have our cars in the garage at night, but a lot of people don't do it, and the HOA never says anything. I mean..they are in the driveway, of course, but i don't pull my car into the garage every night, nor do a fair share of my neighbors. No one has junky cars so I guess they don't care.

Old 08-20-2009, 10:31 AM

622 posts, read 1,781,982 times
I totally agree with the responses to getting involved with an HOA that keeps your community desireable. Just do your homework and, more importantly, get involved in your community HOA and the decision process.

I may be unusual in the fact that I am in obligation to 3 HOAs and one regulatory organization with my property. The community I live in has an overall HOA for the community, my condo (investment property) has a seperate HOA, my townhouse also has a seperate HOA (only 12 units). The town house is waterfront and we must abide by Duke Power rules for our dock and a 50' setback from the shoreline.

I have found that being actively invoved (with all of the powers-that-be) that there is very rarely an issue that can't be resoved (except for the fact that I have to pay 2 monthly overall HOA fees ($280) and a condo homeowner fee ($200 per month). Thank goodness we only pay a shared electric fee (no other fees) for our docks as they run on a single meter.

I believe I am getting my monies worth as the HOA boards are fair and equitable, and have maintained a beautiful community which helps maintain the value of my investments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte