Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2009, 04:39 AM

2 posts, read 4,568 times

Advertisements

Good Morning,

This is my very first post here and I am looking for some guidance. My family and I are currently stationed in Stuttgart, Germany. We will be retiring and moving back to the States in August/September 2010 timeframe. We are looking at moving to Charlotte or that area when we retire, but we do not really know the area. We have 3 children (ages 12, 11 & 9) and we would want someplace kind of out in the boonies (small towns seem to suit our lifestyle better). We are looking for any suggestions or a point in the right direction. Thank you.

Diane
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2009, 07:53 AM

4,222 posts, read 7,898,130 times
Hello Diane, I am military retired, but also a temporarily retired educator. There are no military PXs or commissarys in Charlotte. The closest is probably Fort Jackson/or Ft. Bragg/PopeAFB. Most of the doctors accept Tricare. The area offers big city envoronment with the boonies you want within a short drive. The area is known as being an excellent family area with plenty of activities for adults as well. North Carolina military retirees do not pay state income tax on their military retirement. Once settled in, it is easy to find ways to shop economically through researching specials and using places like Aldis and Walmart for grocery shopping. You might be interested in Denver, N.C., Indian Trail, Pineville, or Ft. Mill. Schools outside the inner city improve as you go outward.

Old 08-14-2009, 02:31 PM

123 posts, read 328,653 times
Union County is a great area you should consider in South Charlotte. We have a great mix of new subdivisions, farmland, stables and only 45 minutes from the city of Charlotte. A lot of families are relocating here because of the good schools and low taxes. You can buy a home with acreage or in a subdivision, whatever lifestyle you want. We relocated here from Long Island with three kids ( 16,14 and 12 at the time) and love it here. We live in the town of Waxhaw where they still have parades on the 4th of July and Christmas. Its a very family friendly place, as is most of Charlotte, and its very easy to meet people here because of all the new folks relocating from all over the country. The lifestyle is as laid back as you want it to be, but there is plenty to do also. What is also nice, is that we are around 2.5 hours to either the mountains or to the shore, so you can take a lot of day trips or weekend trips. Good luck on your move, I'm sure you will love it here in Charlotte.

Old 08-14-2009, 03:07 PM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,730,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vindaloo View Post
Most of the doctors accept Tricare.
That was not my experience at all. It took awhile to find one that would even file TRICARE, but even then not all those accept the TRICARE allowed amount. Of course, this was 2002, sounds like things have changed.

You can get ID cards at the reserve center at the airport, at least.

For the first time since retiring in 1994 I am living near a base. Probably think that is a good idea that I never really appreciated until I did so.

I would forget Charlotte and look more at coastal NC. Say Greenville, you are 1:15 or so from Cherry Point, about the same, a bit longer to LeJuene.

Old 08-14-2009, 03:15 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,491,785 times
Just a thought . . . I have friends who are retired military and they live in the Beaufort, SC area. It is a beautiful region.

City of Beaufort (http://www.beaufortsc.org/cwo/Visit_Beaufort/About_the_Beaufort_Region/City_of_Beaufort - broken link)

Old 08-16-2009, 08:50 AM

4,222 posts, read 7,898,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
That was not my experience at all. It took awhile to find one that would even file TRICARE, but even then not all those accept the TRICARE allowed amount. Of course, this was 2002, sounds like things have changed.

You can get ID cards at the reserve center at the airport, at least.

For the first time since retiring in 1994 I am living near a base. Probably think that is a good idea that I never really appreciated until I did so.

I would forget Charlotte and look more at coastal NC. Say Greenville, you are 1:15 or so from Cherry Point, about the same, a bit longer to LeJuene.
Maybe there are more doctors around Cornelius that take TRICARE? Not sure, but we have had no problems. Maybe the government has started paying their bills That will likely stop soon enough

Old 08-16-2009, 09:58 AM

1,177 posts, read 2,240,106 times
First and foremost, thanks to you and your family for serving our country in the armed forces!

Depending on how rural you'd like to be, several places in Iredell county may be a good fit. The outer reaches of Mooresville is fairly rural. Troutman is a small town a bit north or Mooresville. I work with a couple of people who live in China Grove and Kannapolis. I don't know those areas really well yet, but they seems to have "ruralish" areas. Denver may also offer what you are looking for. Also, don't rule out SC either!

I've been in the area for about 2.5 years now and am still discovering. Please spend a week or two in the area and drive all over. The Charlotte metro area has a lot to offer but is VERY spread out. It takes a long time to see it all!

Old 08-20-2009, 03:14 AM

2 posts, read 4,568 times
I would like to thank you all for your replies. We are looking at a couple of the smaller towns that have been suggested. I believe a rural atmosphere is the best way to go and I am sure we can find that in some of the smaller towns. Again, thank you to all who provided some input.

Old 08-20-2009, 01:49 PM

82 posts, read 235,128 times
My husband retired from the air force in 2004 and we moved to Cabbarus Co. not knowing anyone or having any family here. The main goal was to be near Charlotte. We haven't had any trouble finding doctors, dentists, hospitals, etc. that accept TRICARE or Delta Dental. 90-day prescriptions are done through the mail or we can go to just about any pharmacy for 30-day scripts. We've gone to the national guard in Charlotte to get a new ID card for me, and it was no trouble at all. We thought we might miss the commissary and BX, but there is so much choice around here and ways to save money that you won't even miss them. There is nothing about the base that we miss nor that we feel the need to drive an hour and a half for. Everything you'll ever need is here, and then some!

There are some very nice rural areas of Cabarrus Co., which has an excellent school system. Iredell Co. would be another good option, too. Both would be close enough to Charlotte and your taxes should be less. From someone who bit the bullet and moved here on blind faith, we are so glad we did. We absolutely love it here!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte