Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2009, 09:40 PM

18 posts, read 46,912 times

Advertisements

Hey there - we're getting closer to decision day on whether to relocate or not, and I spent some more time in CLT this week looking at houses.

We've looked at the big private schools in Meck county, but they're all pretty pricey - how does Covenant Day School in Matthews compare?

The campus is not as nice as the big schools (although Charlotte Christian is looking pretty ratty), but the school seems a good balance of size and price - about half what PDC or CCD would be.

Any thoughts would be appreciated - how is the faculty, how are the parents, how are the academics, etc.

Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2009, 05:14 AM

797 posts, read 3,295,817 times
It's not as popular or as diverse as Charlotte Christian.

Old 08-15-2009, 08:57 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,721,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutbeem View Post
Hey there - we're getting closer to decision day on whether to relocate or not, and I spent some more time in CLT this week looking at houses.

We've looked at the big private schools in Meck county, but they're all pretty pricey - how does Covenant Day School in Matthews compare?

The campus is not as nice as the big schools (although Charlotte Christian is looking pretty ratty), but the school seems a good balance of size and price - about half what PDC or CCD would be.

Any thoughts would be appreciated - how is the faculty, how are the parents, how are the academics, etc.

Thanks!

Charlotte Christian is "looking pretty ratty"??? Maybe you missed the new upper school addition which just opened two years ago? The whole campus is lovely in my opinion - not to mention those gorgeous atheletic fields.

Covenant Day has a fine reputation, but it is small and will not offer all the college prep advantages that a school like Charlotte Christian does. In this case, you get what you pay for.

Old 08-15-2009, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Covenant Day has a fine reputation, but it is small and will not offer all the college prep advantages that a school like Charlotte Christian does. In this case, you get what you pay for.
Hahaha, no offense on the "ratty" comment, but when I took the tour, there were a number of things that didn't "show well", including the walkway coverings that were literally hanging in tatters above us. It's not bad, and they have some nice additions, but although it's close to PDS in price, it's not close to PDS in facilities. Also, the person giving us the tour was terrible - maybe a lovely person, but terrible tour guide.

That aside, I've heard that Covenant day is a good balance between the public schools and the high cost privates. I'm planning a tour on my next trip, and I was just curious if there were any Covenant parents who could comment.

Old 08-16-2009, 11:43 AM

2 posts, read 5,486 times
I can tell you, as a Covenant Day School parent with an eighth grader that has been at CDS since Kindergarten, it is one of the best private school choices in the Charlotte area. The kids walk through the bible every day, the teachers and staff are caring, loving and understanding of the stages the kids go through at each level of their development. CDS's academics are honed to give each child their highest potential in learning and parent-teacher communication is highly regarded. Someone posted above that CDS is "small" (we have a 800+ enrollment and our class ratio is 18-22) and will not offer "all the college prep advantages that a school like Charlotte Christian does"; I beg to differ on that point. Covenant Day has a state of the art High School with every high school student assigned their own personal computer notebook. Another poster pointed out that CDS is "not as popular or diverse as Charlotte Christian"; we do not strive to be "popular" at Covenant Day School, we strive to do what we do best and that is teach the Word, teach the academics and teach the individual child. As far as diversity goes, CDS has lots of different nationalities. Skin color is only one inidication of birth origin. Check out the facts on diversity, you'll see a lot at CDS. Yes, you get what you pay for, and if learning God's truth, rigorous academics, college prep courses, fine athletics and warm, caring staff is included in your list of wants for a private Christian school, then CDS is the school for your family.

Old 08-16-2009, 12:09 PM

201 posts, read 670,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnlv17 View Post
I can tell you, as a Covenant Day School parent with an eighth grader that has been at CDS since Kindergarten, it is one of the best private school choices in the Charlotte area. The kids walk through the bible every day, the teachers and staff are caring, loving and understanding of the stages the kids go through at each level of their development. CDS's academics are honed to give each child their highest potential in learning and parent-teacher communication is highly regarded. Someone posted above that CDS is "small" (we have a 800+ enrollment and our class ratio is 18-22) and will not offer "all the college prep advantages that a school like Charlotte Christian does"; I beg to differ on that point. Covenant Day has a state of the art High School with every high school student assigned their own personal computer notebook. Another poster pointed out that CDS is "not as popular or diverse as Charlotte Christian"; we do not strive to be "popular" at Covenant Day School, we strive to do what we do best and that is teach the Word, teach the academics and teach the individual child. As far as diversity goes, CDS has lots of different nationalities. Skin color is only one inidication of birth origin. Check out the facts on diversity, you'll see a lot at CDS. Yes, you get what you pay for, and if learning God's truth, rigorous academics, college prep courses, fine athletics and warm, caring staff is included in your list of wants for a private Christian school, then CDS is the school for your family.

I noticed that students in grade 9-12 were required to have a lap top. Is this true in all private schools? Just curious (and feeling a bit old, lol).

It also looks like students must have a pastor's recommendation before transferring?

Old 08-16-2009, 12:54 PM

4,280 posts, read 11,316,060 times
One or two areas on the Charlotte Christian campus might currently not 'show well', but I assure you that the staff and quality of education is top notch. Ground will break soon on the new lower school building as much of the funds have been pledged during their latest 'My School's Next' campaign.

I graduated from Charlotte Christian ('89), and after college and a few jobs found myself back in Charlotte.
My children now attend the same and we are thrilled with all aspects of the school.
Many of the school families have become our closest friends.

We used to be members at Christ Covenant and have many friends with children enrolled at CDS.
Most are extremely pleased.

Regardless of your choice, it really is all what you make of it, not by simply writing a check, but rolling up your sleeves and be willing to get involved. Probably 85% of our friends in Charlotte have chosen private school for their children, across all income levels, religious or not.
The happiest are the ones who are really involved in their respective schools, and the most miserable (constant complainers) are the ones who just want to write the check and do nothing.

Good luck!

Last edited by mullman; 08-16-2009 at 01:19 PM..

Old 08-16-2009, 10:45 PM

Great stuff, thanks so much. I like that CDS is a little smaller, it's similar to the school we'd be coming from here in California.

Old 08-11-2015, 01:46 PM

106 posts, read 148,858 times
Old thread I'm digging up here. I know this is random. But, does anyone think Christ Covenant Church will ever close, but leave the school open? How linkes are the school, and the congregation/main building? What does the vibe feel like these days as to the direction it's going in?

Old 08-11-2015, 03:18 PM

689 posts, read 1,657,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt Campsalot View Post
Old thread I'm digging up here. I know this is random. But, does anyone think Christ Covenant Church will ever close, but leave the school open? How linkes are the school, and the congregation/main building? What does the vibe feel like these days as to the direction it's going in?
Didn't they just expand?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte