Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2009, 09:56 AM

5 posts, read 21,865 times

Advertisements

Let me start by saying I have read tons of posts about suburbs near Charlotte. People looking for good school and affordable homes. We would like this as well, however, my question is about a nice religiously mixed neighborhood. My husband has a chance to transfer to Charlotte. We live in a suburb 30 minutes outside Detroit. It is a great neighborhood with many families with religious/cultural differences and would like to move someplace similar if possible.

Any help would be great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2009, 10:43 AM

254 posts, read 1,139,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michelejprice View Post
Let me start by saying I have read tons of posts about suburbs near Charlotte. People looking for good school and affordable homes. We would like this as well, however, my question is about a nice religiously mixed neighborhood. My husband has a chance to transfer to Charlotte. We live in a suburb 30 minutes outside Detroit. It is a great neighborhood with many families with religious/cultural differences and would like to move someplace similar if possible.

Any help would be great.
You will find quite a melting pot in the Charlotte area, but you need to be informed that you are in the Bible Belt and many times those moving in from the North or West have a bit of an adjustment dealing with the common thread of Biblical Christianity found in the Baptist type interpretations. I am not a Baptist myself but can say that I sure appreciate what they have brought to the table and the influence that seems to follow them in general. Dont be surprised to hear people inviting you to church, asking you if you go to church or seeing people pray for their food in restaurants. After living in the Northeast for 23 of my 48 years, I appreciate their religious climate more than the Northeast because of the simple reason that the South has the proven "fruit" of their "world-view". The North as been nearly destroyed, in part because of their faith value system or lack thereof.

Old 08-15-2009, 10:51 AM

3,115 posts, read 7,101,071 times
I totally disagree w/the above post, other than the melting pot comment. We experienced these things in SC, but never in Charlotte. It is very,very diverse here, and nobody has ever invited me to church nor have I noticed people praying in a restaurant. Our neighborhood has whites, blacks, Asians and Indians in probably equal amounts, and I'm assuming (because I would never dream of invading someone's privacy by asking) that they all practice their own religion their own way.

Old 08-15-2009, 12:17 PM

5 posts, read 21,865 times
Thanks for your input. Your neighborhood sounds like where we live now. Can you tell me the name of the area you are in? This is the type of neighborhood we would like to raise our children in. What are the houses like, prices and sizes?

Thanks

Old 08-15-2009, 02:18 PM

4,222 posts, read 7,845,846 times
As far as bible belt, North Carolina generally is as is Texas, Iowa, Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, Missouri, Kansas, Utah, north Dakota, South Dakota, Nebraska, Minnesota, Wyoming, Montana, and Oklahoma. But, so what? Nobody you meet will care what religion you chose or try to convert you. As far of praying in restaurants, I went into the military from Charlotte when I was 18. Up to that point I had never seen anyone pray at the dining table. The only people I had seen do it first were Catholics. I am not a religious person and don't care who anyone worships. It is very diverse around Charlotte and you will be welcomed. It is hard to determine if a neighborhood has a population that have diverse religions. I assume you have to look for a area that has various Asian groups, etc. Itwould be more likely to find that environment around the University area.

Old 08-15-2009, 06:41 PM

494 posts, read 1,342,470 times
I am in Union County and my neighbors and friends come from so many different Ethnic and Religious backgrounds...you should have no issue here. Despite what people think Charlotte that have never been to CLT...it is a very diverse city.

Old 08-16-2009, 09:54 AM

2,692 posts, read 3,381,137 times
30 years in charlotte and have seen plenty of people at restaurants praying before they eat their meal. no big deal , but it is fairly common.

Old 08-16-2009, 11:42 AM

2,340 posts, read 4,608,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalgirl View Post
I totally disagree w/the above post, other than the melting pot comment. We experienced these things in SC, but never in Charlotte. It is very,very diverse here, and nobody has ever invited me to church nor have I noticed people praying in a restaurant. Our neighborhood has whites, blacks, Asians and Indians in probably equal amounts, and I'm assuming (because I would never dream of invading someone's privacy by asking) that they all practice their own religion their own way.
Really??? I was completely surprised moving here from the West Coast. I had people asking me if I had found a church home and inviting me services left and right. Not something I was used to at all.

I would invite you to look in NE Charlotte. There is greater diversity on this side of town. ;-) There are several very nice neighborhoods where you can find a mix between White/Black/East Asian and SE Asian. What price point are you looking in?

Old 08-16-2009, 12:00 PM

3,115 posts, read 7,101,071 times
yes, really. maybe it's because we moved here from SC (after moving there from OH) and were sort of used to that anyway, but I don't notice it here like I did down there.

Old 08-16-2009, 03:09 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,276,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movedtothecoast View Post
30 years in charlotte and have seen plenty of people at restaurants praying before they eat their meal. no big deal , but it is fairly common.

you act like it is a big deal
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: