Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2007, 10:27 AM

462 posts, read 1,843,051 times

Advertisements

Not sure if anyone here fits into this catagory but I just wanted to pass along some advice to employers. Don't have people travel from their home state to NC just to blow them off. I have been in contact with an employer that seemed really interested in me for a position they were looking to fill. Originally, my wife and I were planning on coming to town this past weekend to move some of our belongings so last week when the employer asked when I would be in town next, I told him I would be in town over the weekend. He asked if I could come to town earlier which I figured no problem, I'll just book a flight and fly in prior to the weekend. Well airfares were rather high for this week compared to the prices I have been getting as of late and I just couldn't swing the airfare especially since we were going to be back in town a couple days later. I contacted this employer about it and was upfront and honest and told him that if he really needed to fill the position asap I totally understand, to which he responded "No, No problem, well meet over the weekend." Great I figured. Well the wife and I decided we would start moving our things at a later date but I went down for the interview anyway. I called him Friday before I left to make sure all was good and he said he still wanted to meet and to call him in the morning to sched the time to meet. So I drove through the night Saturday and managed to sneak in a couple of hours sleep. I called him in the morning like he requested and when he picked up he asked if he could call me right back. Well, he never called me back and I tried calling three times and also left a message after that to see what was going on. Nothing! So all in all my trip down this weekend was a total waste. Time and money wasted for nothing. I just thought it would have been nice of the guy to be honest Friday and tell me he was no longer interested. Why waste my time and money? I guess it's good because this is definatly not the type of person I would want to work for. So to any employers, whether or not some one is coming from out of town or not for an interview, if your really not interested just be upfront and honest with them rather than string them along wasting their time and getting their hopes up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2007, 11:04 AM

348 posts, read 429,871 times
When we were beginning to move down here 3 years ago, my hubby flew down twice for a particular company (on our dime), only to be disappointed the same way. Not sure why the company made him come back from the 2nd, but since it wasn't costing them anything--I guess they didn't care.

However, you're interviewer was particularly rude. Wow! Can't believe they didn't call you back!

Old 04-23-2007, 11:12 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,676,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neoflex View Post
Not sure if anyone here fits into this catagory but I just wanted to pass along some advice to employers. Don't have people travel from their home state to NC just to blow them off. I have been in contact with an employer that seemed really interested in me for a position they were looking to fill. Originally, my wife and I were planning on coming to town this past weekend to move some of our belongings so last week when the employer asked when I would be in town next, I told him I would be in town over the weekend. He asked if I could come to town earlier which I figured no problem, I'll just book a flight and fly in prior to the weekend. Well airfares were rather high for this week compared to the prices I have been getting as of late and I just couldn't swing the airfare especially since we were going to be back in town a couple days later. I contacted this employer about it and was upfront and honest and told him that if he really needed to fill the position asap I totally understand, to which he responded "No, No problem, well meet over the weekend." Great I figured. Well the wife and I decided we would start moving our things at a later date but I went down for the interview anyway. I called him Friday before I left to make sure all was good and he said he still wanted to meet and to call him in the morning to sched the time to meet. So I drove through the night Saturday and managed to sneak in a couple of hours sleep. I called him in the morning like he requested and when he picked up he asked if he could call me right back. Well, he never called me back and I tried calling three times and also left a message after that to see what was going on. Nothing! So all in all my trip down this weekend was a total waste. Time and money wasted for nothing. I just thought it would have been nice of the guy to be honest Friday and tell me he was no longer interested. Why waste my time and money? I guess it's good because this is definatly not the type of person I would want to work for. So to any employers, whether or not some one is coming from out of town or not for an interview, if your really not interested just be upfront and honest with them rather than string them along wasting their time and getting their hopes up.
Maybe he was hit by a bus on his way to meet you and couldn't call because he's in a coma?? Seriously, emergencies do come up. Have you called him to today to ask what happened?

Old 04-23-2007, 11:16 AM

1,304 posts, read 4,319,492 times
Default You got some "xplaining" to do, Lucy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Maybe he was hit by a bus on his way to meet you and couldn't call because he's in a coma?? Seriously, emergencies do come up. Have you called him to today to ask what happened?
Seriously, an explanation is owed here, somewhere!

Old 04-23-2007, 12:41 PM

60 posts, read 126,761 times
How Rude!!!!

Old 04-23-2007, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Not wishing anyone to get hit by a bus but I hope there is a good explanation for just blowing me off. As far as calling him again to look for an explanation, I would rather not as I am still really aggravated that I did all that driving for no reason at all and would be afraid of what I might say. I thought about dropping him an e-mail, but decided not to as I would rather not bother and waste any more time on what looks to be a dead issue. I have wasted enough time as it is and just need to work on moving forward with the job search. No need to risk giving myself a bad name in a new market. Looking to stay positive.

Old 04-23-2007, 12:56 PM

1,435 posts, read 5,766,146 times
I'm with you, leave it be.

Shake it off and move on. There is something better out there.

Old 04-23-2007, 01:00 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,676,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neoflex View Post
Not wishing anyone to get hit by a bus but I hope there is a good explanation for just blowing me off. As far as calling him again to look for an explanation, I would rather not as I am still really aggravated that I did all that driving for no reason at all and would be afraid of what I might say. I thought about dropping him an e-mail, but decided not to as I would rather not bother and waste any more time on what looks to be a dead issue. I have wasted enough time as it is and just need to work on moving forward with the job search. No need to risk giving myself a bad name in a new market. Looking to stay positive.
I completely understand wanting to stay positive, but I still think you should call him instead of slinking away like you have something to be embarrassed about. Hold him accountable for his actions, if he really did just blow you off, or he may continue to do this to other people.

Old 04-23-2007, 01:11 PM

1,435 posts, read 5,766,146 times
Find out what his title is.

Call him up and tell him you were applying for his job position.

That ought to get him stirred!

Old 04-23-2007, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlottean View Post
Find out what his title is.

Call him up and tell him you were applying for his job position.

That ought to get him stirred!

This would be fun if it were not for the fact that he owns the bsuiness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte