Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2007, 09:00 AM

48 posts, read 66,576 times

Advertisements

Im a life long southerner and i say puh-khan like you. When i say that to people here they look at me funnny, and say "you mean PEE-CAN??" I say no, thats what you use in the car when there are no reststops nearbye... a Pee Can.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3johnsons View Post
Or how about "Pee-can" vs. "Pa-cahn"???? Personally, I say pa-cahn, but my wife, who is also a southerner, says Pee Can...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2007, 12:18 PM

362 posts, read 1,342,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JusSumGuy View Post
Im a life long southerner and i say puh-khan like you. When i say that to people here they look at me funnny, and say "you mean PEE-CAN??" I say no, thats what you use in the car when there are no reststops nearbye... a Pee Can.
LOL

I'll never look at pecans the same way.

Old 04-29-2007, 12:24 PM

191 posts, read 234,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nysparkle View Post
Ack! See what I mean. LOL
You think that's bad? When I was an undergrad at UNC a guy in a car with New Jersey license plates and a dook bumper sticker asked me for directions to the Dean Dome. I gave him directions to Durham.

Old 04-29-2007, 01:01 PM

77 posts, read 460,287 times
Nacht you're bad! I am definitely getting a gps when I get to NC. I do know Mooresville a bit from visiting family but that's it.

Last edited by nysparkle; 04-29-2007 at 01:16 PM..

Old 04-29-2007, 01:09 PM

191 posts, read 234,550 times
The funny thing is that people are always asking me for directions, even when I'm on vacation in an unfamiliar city! I must look like I know where I'm going.

Old 04-29-2007, 01:11 PM

1,384 posts, read 1,895,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marvinnative View Post
OK, here's my take on the Lunch/Dinner thing. When I was growing up, and this area was rural, "lunch" was the BIG meal of the day and we called it DINNER.

Farmers were working hard and needed to be fed a big farmhouse lunch - we'd have a table full of fresh vegetables from the garden - think fresh corn, peas, sliced tomatoes, cucumbers, just made biscuits, etc. This was DINNER. This meal was to re-fuel the hardworking folks for the rest of the day. Lots of farms around during my dad's generation actually had "dinner bells" to ring for the family to come in for dinner. The farm families around here had large families and to hear my dad tell it, during the depression years, they were happy to get a biscuit and molasses, sometimes. Fruit, like oranges, was a big treat for them - sort of their Christmas surprise.

Now, supper, was the "light" meal of the day. Think cornbread and buttermilk. My dad would come in all tuckered out, pull off his dirty clothes, have his supper, watch the news and be ready for bed. You know, early to bed, early to rise!

So, my perspective is - DINNER is the BIG meal of the day. SUPPER is the light meal of the day. I think when we started having our DINNER at bedtime is when we started getting fat...LOL! Isn't there a new diet craze that says don't eat after 7 PM...something to think about.
That is exactly how I understand the origins of supper/dinner. I read that somewhere and now I have your real-life testimonial! Too bad I have to "spread more points" before I can give you a rep point for that post.

Old 04-29-2007, 01:12 PM

2,115 posts, read 7,064,843 times
Quote:
Nacht you're bad! I am defintily gettting a gps when I get to NC. I do know Mooresville a bit from visiting family but that's it.
You know, I drive a 2006 vehicle with a factory installed Navigational system which served me well in New Jersey. Since moving to NC though I cannot tell you the number of country roads that simply don't exist (per my GPS). Plus, the Charlotte area has so many new neighborhoods and streets I am no longer startled when the car utters the words, "Guidance can no longer be provided since the area you have indicated cannot be located. Please proceed with caution." The first time my boys heard that they became tense and began yelling "turn around! turn around!" They thought the road beneath us was going to run out from under us. As a matter of fact, I suspected it myself.

SL

Old 04-29-2007, 01:13 PM

1,384 posts, read 1,895,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nacht View Post
The funny thing is that people are always asking me for directions, even when I'm on vacation in an unfamiliar city! I must look like I know where I'm going.
I get that, too. Someone asked me for directions on the L in Chicago recently. We must have that look like we know what we are doing even when we don't. haha

Old 04-29-2007, 01:18 PM

77 posts, read 460,287 times
Gee you are right. So many new neighborhoods being built that maps and GPS can't keep up.

Old 04-29-2007, 01:24 PM

362 posts, read 1,342,261 times
Quote:
Gee you are right. So many new neighborhoods being built that maps and GPS can't keep up.
For some of the GPS units, you can purchase "update" discs to upload new streets into your sytem, that didn't exist when your system was manufactured. Not sure if that would help in Charlotte, though, since there are so many new streets/developments going up all the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte