U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2007, 02:44 PM

2,115 posts, read 6,448,365 times

Advertisements

I saw "Munrow" and I'm from Jersey. But my grandmother, also from Jersey, always pronounces it "MAWNrow" and my boys are tickled everytime she says it.

Apparently, according to natives, we also pronounce Lancaster and Corinth (as in Corinth Church Road) incorrectly. The thing that gets me chuckling though is we can't be so "off" in our pronunciation that folks don't know what we're talking about yet, we often get intense stares and requests to repeat it.

One more thing, took my boy to Wendy's this afternoon and the Latina young lady behind the register had me repeat things several times. The Caucasian woman standing next to her laughed really hard and finally said, "She's got you saying things over and over because you talk funny. But we like it." We all had a good laugh!

It reminded me of my days in Mississippi when people would say to me, "You ain't from around here are ya?"

Sincerely,

Sara
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2007, 02:51 PM

45,269 posts, read 88,507,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saralee View Post
I saw "Munrow" and I'm from Jersey. But my grandmother, also from Jersey, always pronounces it "MAWNrow" and my boys are tickled everytime she says it.

Apparently, according to natives, we also pronounce Lancaster and Corinth (as in Corinth Church Road) incorrectly. The thing that gets me chuckling though is we can't be so "off" in our pronunciation that folks don't know what we're talking about yet, we often get intense stares and requests to repeat it.

One more thing, took my boy to Wendy's this afternoon and the Latina young lady behind the register had me repeat things several times. The Caucasian woman standing next to her laughed really hard and finally said, "She's got you saying things over and over because you talk funny. But we like it." We all had a good laugh!

It reminded me of my days in Mississippi when people would say to me, "You ain't from around here are ya?"

Sincerely,

Sara

Yeah, Lancaster here is not like in PA lol! Here you have to say "Lank a stir"

And I love how Beaufort in NC is different from Beaufort in SC ! One is Beaufort like the "beau" in beautiful, the other is Beaufort like "Bow" in Christmas bow

Old 04-26-2007, 02:55 PM

549 posts, read 2,189,630 times
The "Joisey" accent is so cute! Everytime I hear it it reminds me of an ex-boyfriend.

Old 04-26-2007, 02:56 PM

1,304 posts, read 3,872,400 times
Default Pronounciation 101

Quote:
Originally Posted by saralee View Post

Sincerely,

Sara
OK, thanks for asking...really bugs me when new newscasters come to town and mispronounce all the local towns. Here's the scoop from someone who IS from around here. You'll probably get some variations, but this is the way the old-timers pronounce them:

Monroe = Mun (sounds like run) -row
Lancaster = Lank (sounds like bank) -esther
Wingate = Win-gut (sounds like nut)
Concord = Con-cord (just those two syllables, just as they look)
Corinth = Core-inth
Stallings = Stal (sounds like Hal) in's

Someone else can help you with Cherryville - something like Chair-vul

Old 04-26-2007, 03:13 PM

4,093 posts, read 10,169,097 times
Or like Lancaster, CA. It was funny because I was at Lowes on 521 and the manager was joking with the cashier. The cashier lived in Lank a stir and the manager was saying, "Well, you aren't from California then, in CA we say Lan cast er." Turns out he lived about 30 min. from me in CA!

Dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post

And I love how Beaufort in NC is different from Beaufort in SC ! One is Beaufort like the "beau" in beautiful, the other is Beaufort like "Bow" in Christmas bow

Old 04-26-2007, 04:33 PM

2,115 posts, read 6,448,365 times
Quote:

Yes, I pronounce it like Lancaster, PA, but I am working hard to remember I've got it all wrong.

Just read the Beaufort, NC, vs Beaufort, SC, in the latest issue of Southern Living.

SL

Old 04-26-2007, 04:55 PM

362 posts, read 1,244,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marvinnative View Post
OK, thanks for asking...really bugs me when new newscasters come to town and mispronounce all the local towns. Here's the scoop from someone who IS from around here. You'll probably get some variations, but this is the way the old-timers pronounce them:

Monroe = Mun (sounds like run) -row
Lancaster = Lank (sounds like bank) -esther
Wingate = Win-gut (sounds like nut)
Concord = Con-cord (just those two syllables, just as they look)
Corinth = Core-inth
Stallings = Stal (sounds like Hal) in's

Someone else can help you with Cherryville - something like Chair-vul
I know exactly how you feel!

I grew up in Louisville, KY, where ALL the locals know it is pronounced "Loo-uh-vul." It was so annoying when non-local newscasters (like during national tv coverage of the KY Derby) would pronounce it "Lewis-ville" or "Loo-ee-ville." It was always (and still is) really easy to tell which reporters were "in the know," and who didn't do their research.

I also had the same problem when I went to college (in Indiana). At first, I would try to correct people's mispronunciation of my hometown. I gave up after a while, because I figured it was a lost cause. It got to the point where my roommates started correcting people we'd meet, when the new people would say to me, "So, you're from Loo-ee-ville?" my roommates would cut in and say, "She won't correct you, but it's actually pronounced Lu-uh-vul." LOL.

It's really not a big deal, in the whole scheme of life...but I totally agree with you that it's irritating when people mispronounce the place where you live or lived! I can't imagine being one of those people who have hard-to-pronounce first or last names!

Old 04-26-2007, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOYAS View Post
I know exactly how you feel!

I grew up in Louisville, KY, where ALL the locals know it is pronounced "Loo-uh-vul." It was so annoying when non-local newscasters (like during national tv coverage of the KY Derby) would pronounce it "Lewis-ville" or "Loo-ee-ville." It was really easy to tell who was "in the know", and who didn't do their research.

I also had the same problem when I went to college (in Indiana). At first, I would try to correct people's mispronunciation of my hometown. I gave up after a while, because I figured it was a lost cause. It got to the point where my roommates started correcting people we'd meet, when the new people would say to me, "So, you're from Loo-ee-ville?" my roommates would cut in and say, "She won't correct you, but it's actually pronounced Lu-uh-vull." LOL.

It's really not a big deal, in the whole scheme of life...but I totally agree with you that it's irritating when people mispronounce the place where you live or lived! I can't imagine being one of those people who have hard-to-pronounce first or last names!

Same thing with New Orleans!

When someone says New OR LEENS we know they're just visiting

(it's New Aw'lins)

Old 04-26-2007, 05:01 PM

362 posts, read 1,244,627 times
Quote:
Same thing with New Orleans!

When someone says New OR LEENS we know they're just visiting

(it's New Aw'lins)
Ha ha

My best friend in high school had a grandmother who was originally from New Orleans. She went a step further than what you said in your previous post...

She pronounced it "N'awlins"...almost like it was only two syllables!

Old 04-26-2007, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOYAS View Post
Ha ha

My best friend in high school had a grandmother who was originally from New Orleans. She went a step further than what you said in your previous post...

She pronounced it "N'awlins"...almost like it was only two syllables!
Well, that IS the correct pronunciation! I was just afraid if I wrote it like that people reading it would have no clue how to say that LOL!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte