Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2006, 11:50 AM

11 posts, read 54,053 times

Advertisements

Here's my situation. I'm trying to decide where to concentrate my home search when I go out there in September.

1. I don't have children so don't have to consider a school system.

2. I am a freelance court reporter, so wherever the law firms are located, that's where I will be working. Where are the law firms located, anyway? Here in Los Angeles they're in what we call downtown. I notice people on he board refer to uptown. Is it the same thing or do you have a downtown too!?

3. Commute: Not more than 45 minutes, if possible.

4. I've been looking online at houses in Charlotte, but now reading this board, it seems like some places you get double taxed?!?! Is it a tradeoff: Live in town and not have to commute, but pay higher taxes?

5. My price range is about 125 K. I know it's not much, but I don't mind an older, smaller home. I just want a home! With maybe some trees around it. And a garage.

I was looking in Charlotte proper because it seems like that's where the activities are that I'm interested in - dance classes, Buddhism, Qi Gong/Tai Chi, etc. So I wouldn't be going into town just for work.

Oh, and also, do they have any kind of Whole Foods type market in Charlotte? Or any place where you can get fresh baked breads? I got spoiled out here in CA with Trader Joe's and their fresh crusty loaves of bread.

Any advice? I posted once before, so if you're thinking, didn't I just read something like this recently, yes, you did...but nobody answered! Sorry to be a pest, but this board is great for doing research so my time will be better spent when I'm actually there.

Cheryl
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2006, 01:38 AM

58 posts, read 343,369 times
Uptown Charlotte is what most people in other places consider downtown, they just feel it sounds better.

You might want to look into a town house, usually priced in the low to mid 100's, if you are comfortable with living that close to your neighbors. If you are willing to commute up to 45 minutes you could go as far north as Concord or Kannapolis, or do as some people do and buy in SC, sorry not to familiar with east and west of Charlotte.

I'm not too sure about the double tax, I know where I am if you live in the city limits you will have to pay county and city taxes, this might be what they mean by "double taxed"

Old 07-16-2006, 09:49 PM

8 posts, read 22,156 times
If I was in your situation, I might consider some of the warehouses in uptown Charlotte that they've converted into modernized Lofts. They look pretty cool. No yard to worry about!

Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte