U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2006, 07:14 PM

431 posts, read 1,499,955 times

Advertisements

Is there any difference? Can anyone help me with any pros and cons of these two? School? Taxes? Future growth? Crime? Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2006, 10:25 PM

232 posts, read 654,802 times
I am almost positive Weddington has the highest household income in the state of NC- . Home values are also slightly higher, although I've seen the homes they are building in Wesley Chapel and Marvin are over a million-

The town of Weddington (well there isn't much of a town center) is small. The roads cannot handle the traffic flow. They are building a new library soon as well. The roads are lovely and there are beautiful older developments and lots of horse farms. The schools are excellent one of the best districts in the state of NC

Waxhaw is also booming- although the town itself is so much older. My opinion is that the demographics are changing rapidly. There is just so much housing and commercial/retail development that waxhaw will never be the same! There is lower income mixed with middle class and upper- in Waxhaw
Waxhaw is in Union County but it also extends up to the South Charlotte (mecklenburg county). You could live in off Rea Road in Hunter Oaks but be 15 minute drive from downtown waxhaw.
Also I am in Wesley Chapel and we have the Waxhaw zip code because Wesley Chapel doesn't have a post office

the future growth is everywhere in union county waxhaw and weddington - although from what I read in the paper, I think they are putting a halt to future building in weddington due to the lack of space and schools- . until they have a good plan

Last edited by bostongirl; 07-13-2006 at 10:28 PM..

Old 07-13-2006, 10:47 PM

431 posts, read 1,499,955 times
Thanks Bostongirl. I am strongly considering buying a home in Waxhaw off Providence Rd. We have 2 young children, 6 and 2. I am sooo overwhelmed by the homes and developments...some w/pools, others w/out, tremendous ones and quaint private ones. I have chosen a small private development with only around 25 homes. No pool or club house.

Schools were obviously my priority. I think I am making a good choice?

Do most people travel to Ballantyne for shopping and eating out, bars? whatever from Waxhaw in your opinion?

Old 07-13-2006, 11:28 PM

2,560 posts, read 6,076,087 times
Thanks for the info Bostongirl, we will eventually move to that area.

Old 07-14-2006, 06:20 AM

285 posts, read 1,005,868 times
U120,
I live off Providence in Union County, you are making a great choice. Just bear with us as the fastest growing county in the state experiences growing pains.
The polictical structure of the elected officials is a tough component of the area for me. Anyone would have trouble keeping up with growth, but we have not exactly been governed by the brightest or most progressive bunch. This would include school board members, who still live in the dark ages.
We are getting positive change with each election.
The schools are grossly overcrowded, but that too is getting better, and they are really trying to come up with a game plan to play catch up.
My children have thrived socially, acadmics are good, neighbors are wonderful.
We pop on Rea Road and are in Stonecrest in 5-7 minutes, and love it. There are all kinds of shopping and dining areas within minutes of our area. Very nice places, we love that.
Feel free to PM or email with questions. I can tell you much more.

Old 07-16-2006, 08:32 PM

Weddington or Waxhaw is a great choice. Even Marvin. It's just so beautiful when drive down through all the country roads. However you are so so so close to retail shopping (i.e Starbucks, Target, Chili's, Chick fil A). I often drive to Blakeney shopping area on Rea road, and I am always in Ballayntyne. It's about 12 miles maybe from wesley chapel. I am getting sad even telling everyone since we are moving on july 28th to philly area. oh yes eat at Showmars!! They are putting one in waxhaw. It's so cheap to eat.

I would pick a development with a pool- The kids just really love to go there during the summer months - although i believe the kids go back to school in early mid August- here.

Old 07-16-2006, 08:37 PM

U120

You are making a great choice! Lawson is nice place- and the Reserve. There are so many developments popping up at all price ranges. The only thing you really need to watch is to make sure you get in the school you want- and that your development does not get redistricted or shuffled around.

There is currently a new high school being built now in Marvin- on Crane Road. Also, they are supposed to build an elementary school in marvin, but this now slated for Welsey Chapel.

There was so many changes last summer with shuffling kids around. Some kids were in trailers due to lack of space. I would check out greatschools.net.

I can speak for the elementary schools- marvin elementary and sandy ridge are great schools!! I think the folks running the place are from the north

Plus there are a few great private schools as well, and St. Matthews Catholic school

Old 07-16-2006, 08:41 PM

Also don't forget they are building a huge retail space on Providence Road at the end of Cuthberson Road where Lawson is. This will have grocery, maybe Target, some upscale shops and restaurants as well. eventually you will not need to go to Stonecrest or Ballayntne because everything is going to be coming to you in waxhaw
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or