Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2009, 07:49 PM

8 posts, read 21,398 times

Advertisements

I'm in my first yr of college. I really don't wanna spend money on a car, is that a wise move in Charlotte? Is the public trans high quality?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2009, 07:50 PM

3,400 posts, read 8,030,899 times
No its not, on both counts. Get a car or be late for class.

Old 08-17-2009, 07:51 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,721,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muay Khorat View Post
I'm in my first yr of college. I really don't wanna spend money on a car, is that a wise move in Charlotte? Is the public trans high quality?
You can get around Charlotte fairly well without a car, but not 24/7. The buses stop running the later it gets, so you do have to plan for late nights and give yourself plenty of time to get to class if you live off campus. If you will be attending UNCC there is pretty much everything you need in the area so you should be okay to survive.

Old 08-17-2009, 07:54 PM

2,603 posts, read 5,021,268 times
It really depends. If you live near downtown, CPCC, you will be OK. At UNCC, it will limit you some, but it will be worth it with the money you save in gas. If you're just planning on going to school and living on campus, definitely don't buy a car. The 11 will get you downtown, the 29 will get you to SouthPark, and they're extending the Concord Mills line in October.

You might need something if you get a job in certain areas of the city. But I would wait until then. Plus parkin at UNCC is like $300 a year.

Old 08-17-2009, 07:56 PM

3,365 posts, read 10,023,921 times
I lived here for 3 months with out a car, but it really does depend on where you live

Old 08-17-2009, 07:59 PM

4,280 posts, read 11,316,060 times
IMHO, 'No'

Old 08-17-2009, 08:02 PM

I did it for 6 months living downtown. I had to buy a car to get to work in a burb with no bus service. Thinking about selling it now. I live uptown though so everything is closeby. As a college student, you can get by without one. I really regret having one when I was in school....All that money, gone. You never realize how much you sink into a car until you go without one and realize how much extra money you have at the end of the month.

Old 08-17-2009, 08:03 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,721,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingscotsman View Post
I lived here for 3 months with out a car, but it really does depend on where you live
It really does. A few years ago my car had to be in the shop a month. At that time we were a one car family and we did just fine. I walked to the grocery store a couple of times a week, we walked to the movies and out to eat on Friday nights and even rode our bikes to church. My husband took the bus to work for years since the gas crisis after Katrina so we were really okay. Of course, I WAS glad to get the car back

Old 08-17-2009, 08:10 PM

True..I would say uptown, Dilworth, Elizabeth, Plaza-Midwood, NoDa, the S. Blvd. Corridor, and the N. Tryon corridor, The 7th St./Monroe Rd. corridor are the most transit-friendly....South Charlotte is not for the most part..There is decent service to Providence Road/Arboretum, Carolina Place Mall, but very little/weekday rush hour only to Stonecrest/Ballantyne area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
It really does. A few years ago my car had to be in the shop a month. At that time we were a one car family and we did just fine. I walked to the grocery store a couple of times a week, we walked to the movies and out to eat on Friday nights and even rode our bikes to church. My husband took the bus to work for years since the gas crisis after Katrina so we were really okay. Of course, I WAS glad to get the car back

Old 08-17-2009, 08:17 PM

3,365 posts, read 10,023,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post

We are still a one car family, have been for over 3 years
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte