U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2009, 12:44 AM

1 posts, read 17,124 times

Advertisements

Hi,

is there any high-rise building uptown where tourists can go up and get a view of Charlotte? I'm looking just to go to a high floor or rooftop to take a few pictures of the city and just get a good look! Please let me know if there are any buildings or hotels which let you do this.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2009, 03:11 AM

1,494 posts, read 2,871,539 times
Unfortunately , no. Maybe sometime in the distant future. Until then , you'll have to settle for a parking deck.

Old 08-19-2009, 05:30 AM

333 posts, read 682,312 times
You could go to Bentleys on the 27th floor of the Charlotte Plaza building, it has nice views.

Welcome to Bentley's on 27 - A Visionary Dining Experience

Old 08-19-2009, 06:28 PM

4,222 posts, read 6,723,533 times
Years ago, I took the elevator to the 60th Floor of the Bank of America just to have a look. Give it a shot.

Old 08-20-2009, 12:55 PM

1,894 posts, read 5,735,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vindaloo View Post
Years ago, I took the elevator to the 60th Floor of the Bank of America just to have a look. Give it a shot.
I doubt this is still possible given the ultra-high level of security at their building. I don't think you can even get past the lobby now without ID to go through the fancy glass doors to the elevator. Heck, they even have armed guards at their parking garage entrance...and rumor has it that the police will approach you if you're simply taking pictures of the building outside! I've actually wanted to try this one...see if they can stop an honest American from taking pictures on the sidewalk! Ha!

Old 08-20-2009, 01:10 PM

333 posts, read 682,312 times
I got crap from a security guard for taking pictures from the top of the Reid’s parking garage.

Old 08-20-2009, 02:50 PM

4 posts, read 21,976 times
Default Best views...

The short answer to your question is you can't get up the elevators at the bank buildings, they aren't open to the public.

However, Bentleys on 27, located on the 27th floor of the Grant Thornton building, is a restaurant. The bar has a great view of the city. Dress is business casual or better.

Other creative options include getting into one of the top floors of the uptown hotels... The Holiday Inn has a top floor pool area, but that's less than 20 stories, and placed beside Hearst Tower (50 something, right?) it might be tough to get the view you're looking for.

For photos, consider the overpass @ Hawthorne and Independence Blvd.

Old 08-20-2009, 03:37 PM

1,894 posts, read 5,735,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivster View Post
I got crap from a security guard for taking pictures from the top of the Reidís parking garage.
On private property (a garage), sure, they can tell you whatever they want. On right-of-way (the sidewalk along Tryon St. for example), only public law enforcement can tell you what to do (within the legal limits of the law). And as far as I can tell, there are no laws saying you can't take pictures of architecture (buildings).

Old 08-21-2009, 06:32 AM

4,714 posts, read 8,473,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivster View Post
You could go to Bentleys on the 27th floor of the Charlotte Plaza building, it has nice views.

Welcome to Bentley's on 27 - A Visionary Dining Experience
Best, high-level view of the city in my opinion is at Bentley's on 27. However, for the OP wanting to take pictures, they do not have an outdoor patio / balcony, so you would be shooting through the windows.

Old 08-25-2009, 08:20 AM

2 posts, read 18,154 times
Someone told me there was a terror threat at the BoA building and that's why security is nuts. I got yelled at for taking a picture in the lobby, part of the overstreet mall? Anyone know the details?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte