Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2009, 04:12 PM

6,777 posts, read 13,547,001 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingate20 View Post
Total Wine is awesome. But, there are some very affordable and widely-liked wines at Trader Joes, besides just the famous Two Buck Chuck that I'm sure you're aware of. You guys have also sparked my interest because I don't think some of our favorites and what are listed as "South Charlotte Favorites" are also available at Total Wine, but I'll check and report back!
I was a fan of two-buck Chuck for a little while, then I grew weary of it and only use it for cooking now. What are the other ones? (I like buttery chards and smooth Cabs in general, altho I absolutely LOVE wine and will try anything!)

Total Wine has great prices, and when stuff is on sale the prices can't be beat, but you can usually only buy four bottles per day if it's really good deal
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2009, 04:55 PM

364 posts, read 483,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sophialee View Post
I was a fan of two-buck Chuck for a little while, then I grew weary of it and only use it for cooking now. What are the other ones? (I like buttery chards and smooth Cabs in general, altho I absolutely LOVE wine and will try anything!)

Total Wine has great prices, and when stuff is on sale the prices can't be beat, but you can usually only buy four bottles per day if it's really good deal
I KNEW you were going to ask me that! I list what I have in a bit. They're "staples" for us.

Old 08-19-2009, 05:13 PM

494 posts, read 1,348,879 times
We LOVE Arthur's at the Southpark Mall...in Belk's basement. He recommends the absolute best wines...tell him what you like and he will find wine in your price range that you will LOVE!!

Old 08-19-2009, 05:19 PM

1,117 posts, read 2,807,131 times
Quote:
Seriously?
Sophia said that on discount night, the particular wine she was looking at was less than she could pay for it at retail/Total Wine and so, therefore, it was a good deal.

You then implied that paying below retail still wasn't a good deal ('not even close')......so I asked you where you were able to get if for cheaper.

Old 08-19-2009, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megax View Post
Sophia said that on discount night, the particular wine she was looking at was less than she could pay for it at retail/Total Wine and so, therefore, it was a good deal.

You then implied that paying below retail still wasn't a good deal ('not even close')......so I asked you where you were able to get if for cheaper.
Yeah, usually the only way to get anything below retail is if you are friends w/ a distributor...aka wholesale prices.

Sometimes at wine tastings you can get a screaming deal if you buy a case, but that's the only way I personally know of.

Old 08-19-2009, 05:31 PM

Quote:

How did I imply that? You need to clarify your definition of 'retail' before you presume what my implications were. (especially in regards to your question of buying my wine for less than 'retail'). I was simply saying that even at the stated prices, it wasn't cheaper than if I brought my own wine.

Old 08-19-2009, 06:11 PM

Sophia,
Here's today's list from Trader Joes:

2008 Black Mountain Pinot Noir $6.99, the BM merlot is also good, more like a Pinot
2008 Blue Fin Pinot Noir $3.99
Tommolo Montepulciano D'Abruzzo $5.99 (because they were out of my favorite Montepulicano - 2007 Villa Cerrina Montepulciano d'Abruzzo, which is very simple, fruity, not overly dry...so maybe not for the Cab lover?)

...& of course Two Buck Chuck Sauvignon Blanc - essential for scratch spaghetti sauce/marinara/gravy and other dishes.

I'll list the others as we get them.

Old 08-19-2009, 08:56 PM

1,117 posts, read 2,807,131 times
Quote:
How did I imply that? You need to clarify your definition of 'retail' before you presume what my implications were. (especially in regards to your question of buying my wine for less than 'retail'). I was simply saying that even at the stated prices, it wasn't cheaper than if I brought my own wine.
I don't think you realized that when Sophia said that it was cheaper for her to buy that particular bottle of wine on discount night at restaurant than it was for her to bring her own, that she meant the same bottle.

Old 08-19-2009, 09:17 PM

Quote:
I don't think you realized that when Sophia said that it was cheaper for her to buy that particular bottle of wine on discount night at restaurant than it was for her to bring her own, that she meant the same bottle.
I think you're missing what I'm saying. Regardless of the above, generally speaking, it's typical for a restaurant to more than double the price of a wine that can be bought at, for example, Harris Teeter. Therefore, generally speaking, if I'm allowed to bring from home, wine of my choice, which I likely paid less than "retail" for (meaning HT or even 50% discounted restaurant prices), it's a better deal........on Tuesdays of course.

For Mondays, (kidding ) it's a good deal and I appreciate Sophia posting it.

Last edited by wingate20; 08-19-2009 at 09:26 PM..

Old 08-20-2009, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Sophia,
Here's today's list from Trader Joes:

2008 Black Mountain Pinot Noir $6.99, the BM merlot is also good, more like a Pinot
2008 Blue Fin Pinot Noir $3.99
Tommolo Montepulciano D'Abruzzo $5.99 (because they were out of my favorite Montepulicano - 2007 Villa Cerrina Montepulciano d'Abruzzo, which is very simple, fruity, not overly dry...so maybe not for the Cab lover?)

...& of course Two Buck Chuck Sauvignon Blanc - essential for scratch spaghetti sauce/marinara/gravy and other dishes.

I'll list the others as we get them.
Thanks Wingate, I'll check them out for sure
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte