U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2009, 10:39 AM

2,912 posts, read 3,308,812 times

Advertisements

Would anyone be able to tell me about their experience with the Charlotte area Catholic school system?
We have a 5th, 2nd and preschooler and would like information regarding the academic and social aspect of the Catholic schools. From what I can tell, there is only one middle and high school, so choices are limited.
Also, any thoughts on how long it would take to drive to the middle school from different areas of Charlotte?
In advance, thanks for the response.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2009, 10:49 AM

45,270 posts, read 88,302,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theS5 View Post
Would anyone be able to tell me about their experience with the Charlotte area Catholic school system?
We have a 5th, 2nd and preschooler and would like information regarding the academic and social aspect of the Catholic schools. From what I can tell, there is only one middle and high school, so choices are limited.
Also, any thoughts on how long it would take to drive to the middle school from different areas of Charlotte?
In advance, thanks for the response.
Charlotte Catholic High School is one of the best schools in the city. The college prep environment provides kids what they need to go forward after graduation to academic success. In fact, 98% of kids there do go on to college - the rest go into the military.

It is unfortunate that the school is not more centrally located, because many people do opt out after middle school due to the hardship of getting to south Charlotte. If, however, you haven't bought a home yet you could keep the schools location in mind when you do buy.

My one complaint about Catholic High would be that too many non-Catholics use it as cheap private education. Because of this the Catholic atmosphere is watered down somewhat. If you are a strict Catholic you would find this hard to take.

I have stated before, I am not a big fan of the middle school, Holy Trinity. Reasons for this center on the fact that I think the student body is way too large. In middle school I think it is extremely important to not let a single kid fall thru the cracks - they need small classes and a smallish environment to be sure this doesn't happen and that teachers really get to know their students. Holy Trinity just doesn't provide that. Though to be fair, I know many people whose kids have had great experiences there and love it.

A much better alternative is St. Mark's up in Huntersville - which is K-8 and much smaller. In addition, they have an AWESOME principal. Problem is, if you live in Huntersville you'll have that long commute to Catholic High once your child is going into the 9th grade.

Please let me know if you have other particular questions

Last edited by lovesMountains; 08-24-2009 at 11:19 AM..

Old 08-24-2009, 01:28 PM

2,341 posts, read 4,045,530 times
Loves,

Do you have personal experience with St Marks or any of the other Catholic elementary schools in Charlotte?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Charlotte Catholic High School is one of the best schools in the city. The college prep environment provides kids what they need to go forward after graduation to academic success. In fact, 98% of kids there do go on to college - the rest go into the military.

It is unfortunate that the school is not more centrally located, because many people do opt out after middle school due to the hardship of getting to south Charlotte. If, however, you haven't bought a home yet you could keep the schools location in mind when you do buy.

My one complaint about Catholic High would be that too many non-Catholics use it as cheap private education. Because of this the Catholic atmosphere is watered down somewhat. If you are a strict Catholic you would find this hard to take.

I have stated before, I am not a big fan of the middle school, Holy Trinity. Reasons for this center on the fact that I think the student body is way too large. In middle school I think it is extremely important to not let a single kid fall thru the cracks - they need small classes and a smallish environment to be sure this doesn't happen and that teachers really get to know their students. Holy Trinity just doesn't provide that. Though to be fair, I know many people whose kids have had great experiences there and love it.

A much better alternative is St. Mark's up in Huntersville - which is K-8 and much smaller. In addition, they have an AWESOME principal. Problem is, if you live in Huntersville you'll have that long commute to Catholic High once your child is going into the 9th grade.

Please let me know if you have other particular questions

Old 08-24-2009, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baybook View Post
Loves,

Do you have personal experience with St Marks or any of the other Catholic elementary schools in Charlotte?
Yes, I do. I try to make it a policy to only give advice on the things I actually have experience with

Old 08-24-2009, 01:40 PM

2,341 posts, read 4,045,530 times
Quote:
Yes, I do. I try to make it a policy to only give advice on the things I actually have experience with
Cool, I'll PM you. ;-) I have a few questions but don't want the thread to get hijacked.

Old 08-24-2009, 02:51 PM

2,912 posts, read 3,308,812 times
Loves, thank you for the reply.
Well, the question that begs to be asked is what is the alternative for middle school?
No, we have not bought a home yet. We are trying to keep school locations in mind when looking. If we were to buy a home near the high school, how long would it take to get to the middle school in the morning?
I will have one in middle and one in elementary starting next year, so location is important.
Thanks!

Old 08-24-2009, 04:48 PM

27 posts, read 79,028 times
I didn't realize St. Marks has such a long wait list! Im hoping to get my little guy in there!

Old 08-24-2009, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theS5 View Post
Loves, thank you for the reply.
Well, the question that begs to be asked is what is the alternative for middle school?
No, we have not bought a home yet. We are trying to keep school locations in mind when looking. If we were to buy a home near the high school, how long would it take to get to the middle school in the morning?
I will have one in middle and one in elementary starting next year, so location is important.
Thanks!
St. Mark's IS your alternative to Holy Trinity There are no other Catholic middle schools in Charlotte I'm afraid.

If you chose to go with HT, the commute between there and south Charlotte is not bad and very doable - maybe 20-25 minutes in morning rush. You'd have lots of carpool opportunities as many people do this - live closest to the high school and have kids attending HT

Old 08-28-2009, 06:50 PM

441 posts, read 1,067,242 times
Our kids are in MACS (Mecklenburg Area catholic Schools). Loves Mountains is on point, fully. One thing I would add is this...some families are opting for St. Anne (note the E at the end) in Rock Hill, SC as an alternative to Holy Trinity. It is a K-8 school and an alternative to the larger middle school pond for those south of the city. It is not part of MACS, as it is in SC.
Finally, one of my kids LOVED Holy Trinity. That child thrived in the big pond. Also, there is a new Principal there.
The MACS system is solid. Most who start in it want to stay in it. It is affordable, faith based and filled with kids, parents and teachers who love being in Catholic School. Feel free to PM me if you want specifics. Loves Mountains was a help to me a few years ago on this board and I'd love to return be of help to someone else wondering about MACS!
T

Old 08-28-2009, 06:53 PM

6,772 posts, read 11,866,602 times
Quote:
St. Mark's IS your alternative to Holy Trinity There are no other Catholic middle schools in Charlotte I'm afraid.

If you chose to go with HT, the commute between there and south Charlotte is not bad and very doable - maybe 20-25 minutes in morning rush. You'd have lots of carpool opportunities as many people do this - live closest to the high school and have kids attending HT
What about St Matthews Loves? I thought they were K-8? I could be wrong...I'll check.

Hmmm..it's TK-5. My bad!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte