U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2009, 10:48 AM

1,511 posts, read 2,874,995 times

Advertisements

Can someone shed light on how CMS district is doing as a whole? My kids' open house was today, and each has a new teacher: one just graduated college and one who was in 2 other previous CMS schools and is also new to this specific school.

Is this common, this reshuffling of teachers? Do you think it is settling down a bit? Who has a crystal ball and can tell me about future big changes (lay offs) and if assistants in the classrooms are going to stick around or are in danger of being laid off? I am just trying to get a feel for the climate of the schools.

We are excited in general about the new school (one in S. Charlotte) and the school year, so this is not a "complaining" post, just a "wondering" one, if that makes sense .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2009, 11:00 AM

45,270 posts, read 88,302,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagomichauds View Post
Can someone shed light on how CMS district is doing as a whole? My kids' open house was today, and each has a new teacher: one just graduated college and one who was in 2 other previous CMS schools and is also new to this specific school.

Is this common, this reshuffling of teachers? Do you think it is settling down a bit? Who has a crystal ball and can tell me about future big changes (lay offs) and if assistants in the classrooms are going to stick around or are in danger of being laid off? I am just trying to get a feel for the climate of the schools.

We are excited in general about the new school (one in S. Charlotte) and the school year, so this is not a "complaining" post, just a "wondering" one, if that makes sense .
NC and Charlotte are suffering severe budget woes, like many places in the country right now. Until about 2 weeks ago many teachers had been told they would not be rehired this year. In addition, CMS has grown too large to manage with good economic sense, but the paper pushers fight breaking it up into smaller districts because of all the federal money they would lose. To make a long story short - it's all politics.

The best you can do is pat yourself on the back for being sauvy enough to buy in the good south Charlotte location you did, then make a point to get very involved in your child's particular school to keep it the great school it is

Old 08-24-2009, 11:10 AM

35,885 posts, read 67,009,663 times
I think this is a very valid query and I hope parents-or our members who work with the school system-will post their thoughts.

Since I do not have kids in the system at this time, I can only relay what I have observed/read and heard from others.

It appears to many onlookers that Gorman took this budget situation as an opportunity to attempt to strengthen teacher assignments. I am not in the position to say whether he did it in the most equitable manner or not - that is something teachers and administrators would have to comment on. All I know is secondhand f/ news reports and f/ discussions I have had w/ parents and teachers who have been affected by the changes. Nevertheless, the conclusion I have come to is that Gorman is trying to assure that there is top notch talent spread throughout the system. How successful this will be - I guess only time will tell.

Old 08-24-2009, 08:15 PM

1,511 posts, read 2,874,995 times
Hey where is everyone today? Usually we get a ton of replies about CMS .

Old 08-24-2009, 08:21 PM

35,885 posts, read 67,009,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagomichauds View Post
Hey where is everyone today? Usually we get a ton of replies about CMS .
I was looking forward to seeing the replies, too!

Old 08-26-2009, 07:19 AM

187 posts, read 597,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I was looking forward to seeing the replies, too!
Whatcha ya guys wanna here? CMS still sucks, all teachers I know can't get hired because every job opening about 400 people apply for. Don't be worried about the new grauate teacher, be glad you got a fresh teacher that will bring new things to the table. My wife just graduated and she has seen the teachers in the CMS schools, a lot of them are horrible teachers, not all of course but a bunch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte