U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2009, 04:20 PM

444 posts, read 1,490,096 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by xray42 View Post
These phrases i didnt undertstand at first;

"i'm not being UGLY"

"he/she is a mess"

It took me a month to figure these out

But i love the southern heritage

"oh me"
Oh how wonderful to hear I had forgotten and didnt even think about it but I use I'm not being ugly and you are a mess about every day. All of it is something I heard all my life so glad you are enjoying the south!

Dunroven
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2009, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctribucher View Post
So... last week I was in Baltimore waiting for the train down to DC when I started chit-chatting with a woman from Denver. We got to talking and she asked me where I am from, because apparently I don't sound like I have an accent from any one place in particular. I guess that comes from living in so many different places - I sound very bland. When I told her I'd lived in NJ but now live in Charlotte, I think she was hoping for some sort of "fuhgetaboutit y'all" craziness!!! Her term - I thought her perception of how people think people from NJ and NC must sound was interesting. It was also her first visit to the East Coast!

I know that gets away from the OP's topic of phrases, but I thought it was a cute little anecdote to share.
Thanks for sharing. All parts of the country are unique in some ways. I personally love our southern expressions and am so glad I was born and live here!!

Dunroven

Old 08-27-2009, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Yes - "I swan!" ha ha ha ha!!!

The best use of "I declare" is to draw it out - give declare 3 syllables. . . "Well, I de-clayuh!!!!!" or better yet, "Well, I do de-clayuh!"
love it, made me smile, it's been a while!!

thanks for sharing

Dunroven

Old 08-27-2009, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
I grew up in SW lower Michigan & have always used a lot of expressions that are the same or nearly the same. A local man who I pay to help me with some things thinks it's the funniest thing that he's ever heard when I come out with them.

I nearly had a stroke when I found some Civil War slang dictionaries online & realized that most of it was how we talked when I was a kid in the '50s, right on down to the "Tennessee trots".

All gummed up was always the equivalent of all screwed up or something that was just disgustingly dirty.

If you were all heated up, you were hot under the collar.

I don't know if "happy as a clam" is a southern expression, but no one around here has a problem understanding it.
I've heard hot under the collar in fact might have used it in thepast

Gummed up and happy as a clam can't say I've heard. My husband probably used the term happy as a claim

thanks for sharing!

Dunroven

Old 08-27-2009, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
It's not just personal antedotes Even your link to the Urban Dictionary says it is an expression to show sympathy. And that is how every southerner I know has used this phrase. In fact, I've only ever seen this expression as a subtle insult on THIS forum.
I must say I agree with you!!! I always thought of it in a nice way and never until recently even knew it could be said with a different meaning. I was astounded.

I was raised in the deep south and I know with all my heart it was not intended any other way then the way it is stated, bless your heart!

Dunroven

Old 08-27-2009, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteGal View Post
I didn't learn this one 'til junior high, but I've since heard it everywhere:

fixin' ta - getting ready to

As in, I'm fixin' ta go to the store!

My mom was from Maine, my Dad, Mobile AL - my mom would punish us for using southern slang, or when we spoke with a Southern accent! She'd say, "People will think you're stupid!" So I mostly speak without a very strong accent, but ah can slip into one quicker'n greased latnin'.
That's another one that I use daily. My husband who is from up north even say Fixin too now. Well, gotta go, I'm fixin to go to the store!

Thank you again for reminding me how southern I really am!!

Dunroven

Old 08-28-2009, 12:55 AM

286 posts, read 862,644 times
Me-Maw and Paw-paw-I JUST LOVE IT

Old 08-28-2009, 07:01 AM

6,772 posts, read 11,868,776 times
My Grandma (from the deep South) used to say," getting all gussied up" (referring to me doing my hair and makeup as a teenager)..I always thought that was cute.

Old 08-28-2009, 07:47 AM

4,222 posts, read 6,711,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunroven55 View Post
I was born in Bristol, Virginia and moved to Charlotte when I was 5 and then back to Bristol in my Sophomore year of high school. Of course, all my relatives were from Bristol so my language reflected by parents and their parents southern slang.

When I was 20 years old I had to learn to speak differently because people were making fun of my way of speaking. Well recently someone from up north was explaining to me that he had always wondered what the term Bless yer heart meant. Bless yer heart from the time I was little until the day the guy explained to me what he was told was simply just that Bless yer Heart.

Some other terms that I used

Al'm bout to burn up
hissy fit
How bout that
Shoot far
Ya'll come back ya hear

What are some of the terms you grew up with that now bring you much happiness to hear once again?

Also, if you are southern and would like to reunite with your southern terms look under www.sweeteashirts.com They sale t-shirts but they will also remind you of some of your youth!

Please don't forget to share your expressions.

Dunroven55
"Well, bless ya heart" is very Irish and Scottish. I have heard it said there many, many times over there.

Old 08-31-2009, 06:15 AM

1,808 posts, read 5,859,278 times
Interesting!

My Grandma, who immigrated from Eastern Europe, says the same thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophialee View Post
My Grandma (from the deep South) used to say," getting all gussied up" (referring to me doing my hair and makeup as a teenager)..I always thought that was cute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte