U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2009, 01:43 PM

72 posts, read 210,772 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Have you talked to your other neighbors? Are any of them at home during the day? It would really be helpful cause indeed, there is power in numbers.
I spoke to my neighbor across the street about it, and he said that the bad neighbors came over and ASKED him if their dogs bothered he and his family! He told me that he told them YES, they are annoying, they bark at us every time we are in our driveway, and at everyone who passes... their response to him was, "Well, we're hoping that they get adjusted to their surroundings and then will be quiet." omg!

but, he (my across-the-street neighbor) also told them that they dont hear it too much when they are inside, but that if their infant son started waking up because of the barking, then it'd be a problem. I highly encouraged him to report the neighbors to either HOA or law enforcement if it kept up, I told him we are... he said yeah, you guys get the worst of it, since they are right up against your house!

Unfortunately I cant make him, that's what sucks, I can only encourage him. Last week we tried to go talk to the neighbors who live next door to the bad neighbors but they werent home, I think we'll try again probably over the weekend. It just amazes me that now these people know that at least TWO neighbors are annoyed with the barking, and yet they still leave them out there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2009, 02:25 PM

35,885 posts, read 67,179,255 times
Well, looks like your neighbors are gonna wimp out and as long as you complain to the HOA, they are not going to make the effort to do the same.

And it also looks to me as if the "bad" neighbors are going around and trying to establish that the dogs are "not really that bad" in an attempt to make it seem that you and your family are just "uptight."

Your neighbors said if the dogs interrupt their infant's sleep, then that would be a problem. I think you should build on that.

I read this suggestion from a person who had battled with their neighbors over outside dogs for literally years. Their situation was so much like yours - HOA wouldn't really do anything; local law enforcement wouldn't do anything; animal control said - not a real problem, etc. etc.

The man of the house worked at home. So he and his wife and toddlers were held captive by the barking dogs. What the man started doing was - every time one of the kids went down for a nap, he called the neighbors and said "We would like to put Junior down for a nap. Could you please bring your dogs inside?" If they didn't comply, he called back again. He kept doing this. When the neighbors no longer picked up the phone, he would go over and bang on the door and once again ask "We would like to put Junior down. Is that okay with your schedule for the dogs?"

He re-phrased it differently all the time. Sometimes he would call and ask "Can we have permission to take a nap now?" Hee Hee Hee.

"I need to schedule a client call. What time slot tomorrow can I expect that you will have your dogs under control so I can earn a living?"

Let's face it. You are never gonna be friends with these people. All you can hope to do is get a break from their barking dogs.

Maybe some version of this technique will bring these people to their senses about the havoc their animals are creating for other households.

Old 08-28-2009, 02:44 PM

3,071 posts, read 7,720,703 times
Bro. Im telling you you need to get a car alarm and make yourself a "barking dog alert system" another idea is to get several large powerful spot lights and aim them OVER THE FENCE FACING HIS WINDOWS and connect them to a motion sensor that will turn them on when the dogs get near the fense. You could say "when I hear the loud barking it scares me and I just want to see where all of the terrible noise is coming from": LOL let them deal with that.

Old 08-28-2009, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nativechief View Post
Bro. Im telling you you need to get a car alarm and make yourself a "barking dog alert system" another idea is to get several large powerful spot lights and aim them OVER THE FENCE FACING HIS WINDOWS and connect them to a motion sensor that will turn them on when the dogs get near the fense. You could say "when I hear the loud barking it scares me and I just want to see where all of the terrible noise is coming from": LOL let them deal with that.
I think the dogs are only out during the day. They are not out at night if I understood correctly.

Old 08-28-2009, 03:01 PM

3,071 posts, read 7,720,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I think the dogs are only out during the day. They are not out at night if I understood correctly.
OK then I would hook the motion detector to the car alarm. You have to do something that will make the neighbor want to solve the problem. If you dont he never will. Maybe aim the lights so at night even though the dogs arent out adjust it so EVERY TIME HE EVEN OPENS THE FRIGGIN DOOR THE LIGHTs WILL COME ON...... then you could say. "Well in case they are getting ready to let the dogs out I want to be able to see them so I can stuff cotton in my ears" nuthin they can do about it either because you have a right to prepare for the loud barking dont you? lol

Old 08-28-2009, 03:20 PM

45,269 posts, read 88,560,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nativechief View Post
Funny you should mention this - several years ago when we temporarily had the bad neighbors with those ANNOYING Jack Russells, I did resort to something very similar.

I work from home and on this one day the dogs had been barking for 2 hours straight - which was a bit worse than normal. Even with the windows up and air conditioner humming I was still having trouble working with all the racket. I was so fed up I went out to my driveway, sat in my car and LAID on the horn for 2 minutes solid. Then I stopped to see if the stupid homeowners had come out to get the dogs - he hadn't. So, I laid on the horn again until I saw the owner come out and actually walk over the fence to stare at me. All I said was, oh, was my horn too loud for you? Well, your dogs are too loud for me. Had to repeat these actions a few more times, but every time they were quicker and quicker to bring the dogs in. I was SO relieved when they just moved.

Old 08-28-2009, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Funny you should mention this - several years ago when we temporarily had the bad neighbors with those ANNOYING Jack Russells, I did resort to something very similar.

I work from home and on this one day the dogs had been barking for 2 hours straight - which was a bit worse than normal. Even with the windows up and air conditioner humming I was still having trouble working with all the racket. I was so fed up I went out to my driveway, sat in my car and LAID on the horn for 2 minutes solid. Then I stopped to see if the stupid homeowners had come out to get the dogs - he hadn't. So, I laid on the horn again until I saw the owner come out and actually walk over the fence to stare at me. All I said was, oh, was my horn too loud for you? Well, your dogs are too loud for me. Had to repeat these actions a few more times, but every time they were quicker and quicker to bring the dogs in. I was SO relieved when they just moved.
Damn good idea!!!!!

Old 08-28-2009, 06:28 PM

1,039 posts, read 2,672,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post

I agree, great idea. And OP if you are now saying, "I wish I could do that but..." you need to realize you have done everything reasonable. No reasonable response is going to get you any peace. Yes it will also bother your neighbors but if it works they will probably bake you LOTS of goodies as a thank you. Also if you take a drastic measure that will affect your other neightbors just go to them. Tell them I hope you don't all hate me but these people were not willing to compromise. Once it is all said and done and everyone is enjoying the quiet afternoons with no CONSTANT barking I am sure it will all be forgotten in time. Seriously just pick whatever suggestion you are most comfortable with, put aside you hesitations and rid yourself of this situation. You deserve to live in your own home with a certain amount of peace and quiet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte