U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2009, 05:57 PM

72 posts, read 210,588 times

Advertisements

I think this is more of a vent than anything else, but I know some of you will understand, so here goes. We bought our first house in July, in Concord, in a large subdivision where the homes are very close together. When we moved in, there was an empty lot next to our house (that lot is the corner lot). We loved our street, everything was super quiet, all the neighbors kept commenting to us how quiet it was and how they loved it as well.

A new house on the lot next to us was built. There is a young couple with one or two very young children living there. They seemed fine at first, but then they fenced in their yard, and now they leave their two medium to large sized dogs (mixed breeds) outside a lot. They are outside the majority of the time except for the evenings (9pm - morning). The yard has no trees, no shade, keep that in mind. Very small backyard.

The dogs see through the slats in the fence and bark at *everything* that passes - people walking with their kids, their dogs, people on bikes, me going out to get my mail, etc. This is right up against my house. The fence is 6 feet from the side of our house.

Initially, when the dogs were barking at me in my driveway, the owner stuck her head out the patio door (she is at home all day, doesnt work) and tells them not to bark, which they ignore. She saw me looking annoyed and said "Sorry!" So I went over to talk to her about it. I do believe in trying to approach your neighbor first to work out a problem. I was very nice and explained that the dogs' barking was really ruining the quality of life inside our house. All she said was "Im sorry" several times. No offer of a solution, no promise to correct it, nothing.

After a week, nothing got better, so we went the HOA route. HOA sent them a "letter." They said we could also call Animal Control, because it states clearly on the Cabarrus County AC website that it is unlawful to have an excessively barking dog that bothers other homeowners. Well, a week after they got the letter, and still no relief, we called AC, guy on the phone literally laughed at me and said there was nothing they could do, that it was between me and my neighbor. Incidentally, I was talking to another neighbor who said he and HIS family are also annoyed by the barking, and that they told the dogs' owners that they were annoyed!! I highly encouraged them to contact HOA as well, but I doubt they will. People are so non-assertive nowadays Anyway after AC laughed at me, I pleaded with HOA to please do SOMETHING, this is driving me crazy and my nerves are always on pins and needles about when it's going to stop or start up again. Im so tired of hearing it, and SO upset that my once-quiet neighborhood is now noisy AND right against MY house. All HOA said was, we'll check with the officer who patrols the neighborhood and if he catches them, he'll fine them. Yeah, that's a big "IF."

I feel like I have NO other options. I wish the other neighbors would step up, but I feel like that's not going to happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2009, 06:10 PM

272 posts, read 702,519 times
Maybe you can suggest to the neighbor to get them bark collars that way you can enjoy your neighborhood and the dogs can stay outside? I am curious though what correlation is there between the dogs being mixed breeds and the barking? You put mixed breeds in parenthesis.

Old 08-24-2009, 06:14 PM

5,554 posts, read 6,013,817 times
I believe that the city can charge them a fine. It happens here in Minnesota; don't know about NC.

Old 08-24-2009, 06:16 PM

35,885 posts, read 67,141,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCDREAMING View Post
Maybe you can suggest to the neighbor to get them bark collars that way you can enjoy your neighborhood and the dogs can stay outside? I am curious though what correlation is there between the dogs being mixed breeds and the barking? You put mixed breeds in parenthesis.
I think she just meant that these are dogs that the family has just "picked up" along the way and they are not regarded (by the family itself) as very cherished pets. I mean - obviously they are not cherished, or they wouldn't be left outside in the heat w/ no shade and no human interaction, with nothing to do but bark all day long. It sounds like they have not been trained well, too. The situation suggests that momma, who stays home, is not fond of the dogs at all, which is why they put up the fence - so she could throw them out there every day.

Old 08-24-2009, 06:17 PM

Well, I have a suggestion, but first I need to know . . . do you have your neighbor's phone number?

Old 08-24-2009, 06:21 PM

45,269 posts, read 88,507,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chesneygirl1180 View Post
I think this is more of a vent than anything else, but I know some of you will understand, so here goes. We bought our first house in July, in Concord, in a large subdivision where the homes are very close together. When we moved in, there was an empty lot next to our house (that lot is the corner lot). We loved our street, everything was super quiet, all the neighbors kept commenting to us how quiet it was and how they loved it as well.

A new house on the lot next to us was built. There is a young couple with one or two very young children living there. They seemed fine at first, but then they fenced in their yard, and now they leave their two medium to large sized dogs (mixed breeds) outside a lot. They are outside the majority of the time except for the evenings (9pm - morning). The yard has no trees, no shade, keep that in mind. Very small backyard.

The dogs see through the slats in the fence and bark at *everything* that passes - people walking with their kids, their dogs, people on bikes, me going out to get my mail, etc. This is right up against my house. The fence is 6 feet from the side of our house.

Initially, when the dogs were barking at me in my driveway, the owner stuck her head out the patio door (she is at home all day, doesnt work) and tells them not to bark, which they ignore. She saw me looking annoyed and said "Sorry!" So I went over to talk to her about it. I do believe in trying to approach your neighbor first to work out a problem. I was very nice and explained that the dogs' barking was really ruining the quality of life inside our house. All she said was "Im sorry" several times. No offer of a solution, no promise to correct it, nothing.

After a week, nothing got better, so we went the HOA route. HOA sent them a "letter." They said we could also call Animal Control, because it states clearly on the Cabarrus County AC website that it is unlawful to have an excessively barking dog that bothers other homeowners. Well, a week after they got the letter, and still no relief, we called AC, guy on the phone literally laughed at me and said there was nothing they could do, that it was between me and my neighbor. Incidentally, I was talking to another neighbor who said he and HIS family are also annoyed by the barking, and that they told the dogs' owners that they were annoyed!! I highly encouraged them to contact HOA as well, but I doubt they will. People are so non-assertive nowadays Anyway after AC laughed at me, I pleaded with HOA to please do SOMETHING, this is driving me crazy and my nerves are always on pins and needles about when it's going to stop or start up again. Im so tired of hearing it, and SO upset that my once-quiet neighborhood is now noisy AND right against MY house. All HOA said was, we'll check with the officer who patrols the neighborhood and if he catches them, he'll fine them. Yeah, that's a big "IF."

I feel like I have NO other options. I wish the other neighbors would step up, but I feel like that's not going to happen.

chesneygirl I feel for ya!! This is so rude on the part of your neighbors Those dogs need some major training, something I'd recommend you suggest to your neighbors.

We used to have the exact same problem with neighbors who had two Jack Russell's - those damn little dogs bark NON-STOP. It was driving us all crazy, especially me who was working from home. Well, my husband found a device on one of those inflight magazines with all the Sharper Images type gadgets - forget what it was called - sorry. Anyway, you install it within so many feet of the dogs and it emits some kind of signal that really shuts them up. This was about 10 years ago and the dogs long since moved, but I do remember it gave us some relief. Maybe you could look at investing in some kind of similar device?

Old 08-24-2009, 06:48 PM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,551 posts, read 9,285,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chesneygirl1180 View Post

I've actually used this baby twice over the years...

https://watch002.securesites.net/contact/submit.htm

Tell 'em the bible studies don't stop until you make the dog stop. It's VERY effective.

Last edited by BrianH1970; 08-24-2009 at 06:59 PM..

Old 08-24-2009, 07:13 PM

Thought you might like some support. You are not the only person dealing with this heinous problem.

YouTube - Barking Dog Video Group

Here's a helluva way of handling it . . . just keep doing this all day long - right at your neighbor's fence, lol!!!!

YouTube - Barking Dog Video Group

Old 08-24-2009, 07:14 PM

16 posts, read 34,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianh1970 View Post
i've actually used this baby twice over the years...

https://watch002.securesites.net/contact/submit.htm

tell 'em the bible studies don't stop until you make the dog stop. It's very effective.
lmao! :d

Chesneygirl,don't give up yet, that's what they want you to do (they meaning your rude neighbors, the HOA, AC) Try to rally up the neighbors again, keep calling animal control, the HOA, etc....the squeaky wheel gets the grease! If that doesn't work I guess go back to Brian's plan!

Last edited by CabarrusNC; 08-24-2009 at 07:23 PM.. Reason: Adding content

Old 08-24-2009, 07:35 PM

4,010 posts, read 8,941,151 times
You best bet is to call the police on the phone and tell them. Don't bother with HOA or even animal control, it's a big waste of time. There is a city ordinance against it and it is up to the police to enforce it. When they have to start paying fines for the barking, they will start to pay attention.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte