Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2007, 10:58 AM

928 posts, read 3,852,506 times

Advertisements

Doctor Mumbles - to appreciate the 'true south' you have to visit when it's blizzarding in NY. When I decided to move in 1999 I salavated everday it was 60 here and blizzarding in NY. I came down for 48 hours to check it out, loved it, we wore shorts in Feb and stuck out like tourists. We knew a police officer so they offered advice on where to go and where to stay. They warned us about Gaston Co. We went against them and moved to gaston co, because we could afford it. We moved with savings and preleased a townhouse and moved. I never looked back. Don't get me wrong, it was a hard transition, but I haven't worn winter boots in 9 years. The snow here is comical and fun, the media get's all in an uproar and they have breaking news. I just love it.

PS - I've lost a ton of weight and now i Have to wear a winter coat because I get cold very easily. THe only way I'd move back to NY is if someone left me a house and I could live for free. There are many things to deal with when you move, I was engaged. I was free to leave at any point, but I am in Love with the Weather here along with the family I've made here. Heeeeee

Good Luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2007, 01:06 PM

63 posts, read 431,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XNYgirl View Post
Doctor Mumbles - to appreciate the 'true south' you have to visit when it's blizzarding in NY. When I decided to move in 1999 I salavated everday it was 60 here and blizzarding in NY. I came down for 48 hours to check it out, loved it, we wore shorts in Feb and stuck out like tourists. We knew a police officer so they offered advice on where to go and where to stay. They warned us about Gaston Co. We went against them and moved to gaston co, because we could afford it. We moved with savings and preleased a townhouse and moved. I never looked back. Don't get me wrong, it was a hard transition, but I haven't worn winter boots in 9 years. The snow here is comical and fun, the media get's all in an uproar and they have breaking news. I just love it.

PS - I've lost a ton of weight and now i Have to wear a winter coat because I get cold very easily. THe only way I'd move back to NY is if someone left me a house and I could live for free. There are many things to deal with when you move, I was engaged. I was free to leave at any point, but I am in Love with the Weather here along with the family I've made here. Heeeeee

Good Luck.

I know, nicer weather is definetly one major reason, I'm in such a better mood when it is warm outside, it just makes you feel better. I'll be there in the middle of July, so the way I figure it is if I can stand the heat then I'll like the weather all the time. One thing I know we'll need is an apt, house or condo with a Pool. Growing up in Long Island and being 20 min. from the beach is something i'll miss, but if we have a pool that will be just as good, and from what I'm reading many places have Tennis Courts, Pools and Weight Rooms on their premesis, which would be awesome.

Old 05-07-2007, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolynpt View Post
Hi!

There are lots of nice outdoor parks up there by Lake Norman; here is a good website:
http://www.charmeck.org/Departments/Park+and+Rec/Parks/Parks+By+District/North+District/home.htm (broken link)

Charlotte is mostly a banking town, but other opportunities here as well--my husband is in the IT industry.

There is tons of culture here, haven't yet to check them out, but enough to keep your brain sharp! Charlotte Observer online (newspaper) always has info on that sort of thing. Golf courses are very good here, but not sure where the reasonable priced ones are.

As far as Shopping, most of all of the high end stuff is at Southpark Mall in Charlotte, and she would probably like Birkdale Village in Huntersville...very nice! Northlake Mall isn't bad either (Macy's, other nice shops...ann taylor, jcrew, gap, sephora, vicki's secret, etc.).

There's also an amusement park here, if you have kids, or have kids that visit...Carowinds in Charlotte, and the Whitewater Rafting Park:
http://www.usnwc.org/

Man-made, but hey, it's better than nothin'.

Plus, there are some awesome state parks here for hiking. I've been to Crowders Mountain.

http://www.ils.unc.edu/parkproject/ncparks.html (broken link)

Wow! You guys sound a lot like me and my husband! He's more into the irish pub scene, laid-back restaurants, not the crazy nightclub scene, he's an ex-surfer, and I grew up on the coast fishing, boating and swimming. Plus my daughter loves the outdoors, so this is a great place to raise your children.

Have fun!!!
The National White Water Center Looks Amazing and so do some of those parks. I think all of this coupled with the Charlotte Outdoor Adventures Group would be a great way to meet people and to do all the outdoor activities I/we love. My fiancee is already excited about the Shopping.....and reiterated that she likes Old Navy just as much as Saks...lol

Old 05-07-2007, 02:03 PM

928 posts, read 3,852,506 times
Doc - you can score an apartment in 20 minutes, that is the least of your worries. However, the heat is still stifling after all these years, July and August are my worse two months. Every where you go has AC so you will manage. You can always join a gym if your complex doesn't have a weight room.

Don't forget your Sunscreen. I'm pasty pale but I love the sunshine and your right, it's so much nicer then an easter snow storm. Easter was pretty cold down here in NC this year.

Old 05-08-2007, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XNYgirl View Post
Doc - you can score an apartment in 20 minutes, that is the least of your worries. However, the heat is still stifling after all these years, July and August are my worse two months. Every where you go has AC so you will manage. You can always join a gym if your complex doesn't have a weight room.

Don't forget your Sunscreen. I'm pasty pale but I love the sunshine and your right, it's so much nicer then an easter snow storm. Easter was pretty cold down here in NC this year.
What percentage of Apts, Condo's or Complex's have Pools? My parents live in Simpsonville Sc and they have a nice pool in their complex

Old 05-14-2007, 06:28 PM

549 posts, read 2,384,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Mumbles View Post
As for my comment about "not as much culture, etc." as New York--it wasn't meant as an insult nor was it meant as a backhanded compliment. For everyone that has written about how Charlotte isn't New York and you don't want it to be--neither do we!
Dear Doctormumbles
Many newcomers (when they get here) ask themselves why are some of the locals keeping transplants at "arm's length". One of the reasons is because many wax on an and on about how great NY is, and how backwards or boring CLT seems. Sadly we all know that one of the major reasons why people moved here was because they were priced out of in their home state. The people who really wanted to leave and "turned the chapter" on that part of their life assimilated quite well. They couldn't be happier. On the flip side of the coin the ones that constantly compare and torture themselves wishing Charlotte would be like this city, or that city make themselves miserable and all the people around them.

Quote:
To give you a little background on us, my fiancee: small town girl who grew up fishing with her Dad and swimming in the river by her house, came to the after college, does enjoy the "finer things in life" that are so easily found in city living (shopping, theater, sitting in outdoor cafes sipping froofy drinks with her friends). Me: more laid-back, think sports bar vs. nightclub, watch a game with a beer kind of guy who also happens to have a passion for golf and water sports!
Charlotte is not just full of strip malls, at first glance it can seem that way if one does not take the time to investigate. You can find all the "finer things in life" one can crave. I can assure you that many of the old money Charlottean socielites inhabit and breath the same ultraluxurious lifestyle as their Manhattan counterpart. St. Barts for winter holiday, Gstaad for ski the season. The difference is that in NYC they are more prone to showy displays of wealth than here. Here the debutantes exude a discrete charm that only hints of their well-bred bourgeoisie family. Cotillions in the south are still very popular and held during the social season. There are four held in NC and it's considered "social siberia" for the girls not to be invited by the distinguished committee that organizes it. See every city has their own take on diverse economic and racial demographics. If you want to roll with the to- cool-for-school hipsters and artiste in a art gallery in Noda then one has the option to. Maybe their to intellectual and you rather go bar hopping with the 20-something yuppies in uptown, or you outgrew that and want to hang out with the urbanites that dont want to live out in the boonies or a transitional neighborhood but still want to live in a cool place so they choose Elizabeth. Perhaps suburbia grows on you. Like any city, each of Charlotte's neighborhoods and the people that in live in it are vastly different.
Quote:
What we're looking for in moving down south is not another New York, but a happy medium of the friendliness of the small town she grew up in and a laid-back lifestyle that is still cultured with lots of fun activities to please us both. Add in the allure of affordable housing and we are so far sold on Charlotte!
Well most of Charlotte has lost alot of it's quaint and innocent southern character in the name of growth and development. The areas that still are synonymous in people's head with the gracious Southern living would be the area of Dilworth, and Myers Park. The rest of the city was developed in the latter part of the 20-century and then with the onstart of the boom since the 1990's. Most of the "cultured" establishments are located in the city or near it. I don't think they would have a major retrospective on 19th century Italian painter Giovanni Boldini or the notable American fine-artist Nan Goldin (whose subersive prints were one of the first to dabble in the the whole "heroin chic" look) in the suburbs. Each area is different with their own cons and pros. As for renting an apartment you can check Post Properties they have nice buildings with pools and other amenities.

Old 05-14-2007, 06:47 PM

132 posts, read 444,965 times
Default TV Production

Quote:
(TV Production for me,Finance for Her)
I am moving from South Florida and also work in Production (mostly TV commercials.) I have poked around a bit but have had no solid luck on info on active commercial production companies. Wondering how you fared in your research? We will be there this summer and I will have a better chance to make contacts in person... we'll see! Thanks.

Old 05-20-2007, 08:13 PM

Default TV in Charlotte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrminsky View Post
I am moving from South Florida and also work in Production (mostly TV commercials.) I have poked around a bit but have had no solid luck on info on active commercial production companies. Wondering how you fared in your research? We will be there this summer and I will have a better chance to make contacts in person... we'll see! Thanks.

I am probably not much further along with you when it comes to reserching TV jobs, I know their is a division of ESPN,Nbc News Channel, Speed Channel, and the local stations along with some individiual Production Companies. Hopefully when I go down in July I will also be able to make some contacts, keep me posted and I will definetly do the same.

Old 05-20-2007, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anigirli View Post

Dear Doctormumbles
Many newcomers (when they get here) ask themselves why are some of the locals keeping transplants at "arm's length". One of the reasons is because many wax on an and on about how great NY is, and how backwards or boring CLT seems. Sadly we all know that one of the major reasons why people moved here was because they were priced out of in their home state. The people who really wanted to leave and "turned the chapter" on that part of their life assimilated quite well. They couldn't be happier. On the flip side of the coin the ones that constantly compare and torture themselves wishing Charlotte would be like this city, or that city make themselves miserable and all the people around them.

Charlotte is not just full of strip malls, at first glance it can seem that way if one does not take the time to investigate. You can find all the "finer things in life" one can crave. I can assure you that many of the old money Charlottean socielites inhabit and breath the same ultraluxurious lifestyle as their Manhattan counterpart. St. Barts for winter holiday, Gstaad for ski the season. The difference is that in NYC they are more prone to showy displays of wealth than here. Here the debutantes exude a discrete charm that only hints of their well-bred bourgeoisie family. Cotillions in the south are still very popular and held during the social season. There are four held in NC and it's considered "social siberia" for the girls not to be invited by the distinguished committee that organizes it. See every city has their own take on diverse economic and racial demographics. If you want to roll with the to- cool-for-school hipsters and artiste in a art gallery in Noda then one has the option to. Maybe their to intellectual and you rather go bar hopping with the 20-something yuppies in uptown, or you outgrew that and want to hang out with the urbanites that dont want to live out in the boonies or a transitional neighborhood but still want to live in a cool place so they choose Elizabeth. Perhaps suburbia grows on you. Like any city, each of Charlotte's neighborhoods and the people that in live in it are vastly different.

Well most of Charlotte has lost alot of it's quaint and innocent southern character in the name of growth and development. The areas that still are synonymous in people's head with the gracious Southern living would be the area of Dilworth, and Myers Park. The rest of the city was developed in the latter part of the 20-century and then with the onstart of the boom since the 1990's. Most of the "cultured" establishments are located in the city or near it. I don't think they would have a major retrospective on 19th century Italian painter Giovanni Boldini or the notable American fine-artist Nan Goldin (whose subersive prints were one of the first to dabble in the the whole "heroin chic" look) in the suburbs. Each area is different with their own cons and pros. As for renting an apartment you can check Post Properties they have nice buildings with pools and other amenities.
Thankyou for your wondreful advice, I will check out Post Properties and all the other great things you mentioned!

Old 05-30-2007, 09:47 PM

43 posts, read 151,024 times
Charlotte could never compare to NY.... he was right....
Compared to NY this place has nothing and you have to worry more about walking around at night here then you would ever have to in NY.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte