U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2009, 08:45 PM

7,041 posts, read 13,109,142 times

Advertisements

They are apparently closing down McLean Rd tomorrow...possibly for longer than just one day...you will have to detour through Back Creek Church Rd.

This will add a long time to many of our commutes...so, be aware and leave early tomorrow.

(hate to think what it will be like at rush hour!! )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2009, 06:07 AM

1,039 posts, read 2,667,304 times
My husband gave me the good news yesterday. That LEFT turn onto Back Creek is going to be an absolute nightmare! Any clue why it will be a whole month?

Old 08-27-2009, 06:15 AM

NO...had no idea it was going to be a whole month...YUK...guess it has to do with the widening of McLean...

Old 08-27-2009, 06:19 AM

1,039 posts, read 2,667,304 times
Well let me qualify that by saying my husband was the one who saw the sign after a very long at work. He has been known to make a mistake here and there. If you or anyone else can confirm that please update and so will I... A month of closing off that area seems pretty extreme.

Old 08-27-2009, 06:28 AM

I only saw the signs on Harris directing you to the McLean Rd. detour...via Rocky River. Then, when I came home after school, saw the lighted sign just past the entrance to FF saying "McLean Rd. closed Aug 27".

that is all I know. I feel lucky to have seen those signs!! It would have been a real nightmare this morning if I tried to get to work in my normal 10 minutes and the road was closed!!

Old 08-27-2009, 09:53 AM

16 posts, read 38,163 times
The detour signs started going up sometime last week, though they had black plastic covers on them. They have two detour routes set up, one for each way people approach McLean Road on Old Concord. If you're approaching McLean going from UNCC toward Newell and Uptown, you'll take the ramp to eastbound Harris, turn left on Rocky River, turn left on Rocky River again, and then turn left on John Russell. I know they've been working realigning a small portion of John Russell recently. I have no idea whether they will continue that work while the route is being used as a detour.

The other, more-used detour will be Back Creek Church, as you mentioned. Again as you mentioned, it will be a mess, especially turning left out off Hanberry Boulevard. I don't know whether they'll be doing anything to mitigate this, but my guess is they won't. Depending upon where you're trying to get to, the Rocky River detour is likely to be quite a bit quicker than attempting to use Back Creek Church. Alternatively, you could always take McLean to John Russell to Back Creek Church. Obviously it's a bit longer for Faires Farm residents, but it's probably a bit safer. The caveat there is that it puts you at the back of the line on Back Creek Church, which is likely to be backed up over the creek itself at times.

As far as the time the detour will be in effect, it will in fact be close to a month. I imagine it could end up being longer depending upon the weather. Maybe it'll be shorter if they're making progress quickly. However, I wouldn't count on that. You can view information about the detour itself at http://apps.dot.state.nc.us/TIMS/IncidentDetail.aspx?id=200415 (sorry, I apparently can't post links yet). You can view information on other projects that may affect your travel by clicking "Travel Information" just below the yellow bar near the top and selecting "Metrolina" in the "Select by Region" drop-down menu. The information previously said the detour would begin this morning. It now says it will begin Monday morning. I'm not sure which is accurate, as I haven't driven down there today.

The closure itself is necessary as part of the widening of McLean Road, which is long overdue. It's being widened from the light at Old Concord up to just past Faires Farm, including a dedicated left turn lane being added for turning into Faires Farm. Information on the project, including a PDF showing an aerial view of the improvements, can be found at http://www.bytrain.org/Safety/tss/charlottetss/mclean.html . They have utilities that they've been working with, and they also have a lot to do to the road itself, which is why the detour is supposed to last for so long.

As annoying as this is, McLean is being widened now so that Back Creek Church can be widened soon. I think everyone will agree that it sorely needs to be widened, but its widening is likely to be even more complicated. Closure of this crossing will be necessary for several weeks during the construction, which means that all of the traffic will be detoured to McLean Road. This is why McLean is being widened first - to be able to better handle the detour traffic. (Imagine if they went the other way and sent all of Back Creek Church's traffic onto McLean without it being widened.) The official detour there will be the reverse of this one - John Russell to McLean to Old Concord to 49, though I imagine a secondary detour for Back Creek Church will be set up along Caldwell Road in Harrisburg so that Harrisburg-bound traffic traveling on 49 doesn't have to make dangerous U-turns to get back to McLean. I'm sure though that more than a few people won't believe the road is closed (they never do), and will end up cutting through University Heights and Faires Farm once they figure out they can't get any further on Back Creek Church. More information on the Back Creek Church widening, including a PDF showing an aerial view of the improvements, can be found at http://www.bytrain.org/Safety/tss/charlottetss/backcreekchurch.html .

Old 08-27-2009, 06:34 PM

thanks for all of the information, Mellow. Just wish they had sent us FF residents a note or something....

alternatively, it really wasn't that bad doing the McLean/John Russell/Rocky River detour. Of course, that adds about 5+ miles to my commute to work, however, thankfully, I am working alternate hours of 10 am to 7pm..so, there is not a lot of traffic then. I shudder what it will be like on Wednesdays when I am working 8 am to 5 pm.

Completely agree that the work is necessary, however, don't understand why they could not do it at night and leave the road open during the day.....

Old 08-27-2009, 06:59 PM

I definitely agree that there should have been a bit more warning; I think that's part of why the road closure was pushed back until Monday. As far as the work schedule goes, I would imagine things are more complicated due to the railroad crossing, especially given how frequently trains use those particular tracks. I think they may even be tearing up the existing roadway, meaning that they can't simply reopen it every day. And considering there are houses almost directly next to McLean Road there, night work would likely be an even tougher sell given the floodlights they'd use and the noise of the machinery.

Old 08-27-2009, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mellow Bear View Post
I definitely agree that there should have been a bit more warning; I think that's part of why the road closure was pushed back until Monday. As far as the work schedule goes, I would imagine things are more complicated due to the railroad crossing, especially given how frequently trains use those particular tracks. I think they may even be tearing up the existing roadway, meaning that they can't simply reopen it every day. And considering there are houses almost directly next to McLean Road there, night work would likely be an even tougher sell given the floodlights they'd use and the noise of the machinery.
yeah, I guess so...

Old 12-04-2009, 03:44 PM

I just wanted to mention, for anyone who hasn't seen, that McLean Road will be closing again early next week. The closure is scheduled to last from December 8 through December 22. I would think this closure should be the last one since they're getting close to done. The new website for the improvements (http://www.bytrain.org/Safety/tss/backcreek/updates.html - broken link) lists the closure as starting December 9, but the big electronic sign (which went up earlier this time) said December 8 last time I drove by. They're going to be finishing the work on the new crossing arms, as well as completing the widening over the crossing itself. They also have several concrete panels laying beside Old Concord Road that I think are going to be installed on the tracks to make the crossing a bit smoother. This is probably the primary reason for the closure.

Also worth noting is that work has started on the Back Creek Church railroad crossing improvements, though it's all utility work on Pavilion Boulevard right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte