Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2009, 07:47 PM

6,150 posts, read 9,993,610 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssd3 View Post
I really like Pumpkin Center and the schools associated with that area(Pumpkin Center Elementary,North Lincoln High and North Lincoln Middle Schools). It is between Lincolnton and Denver and I recommend this area to anyone who likes a nice safe rural area.
I said Denver because of proximity to Mooresville... we have family there. According to google maps it's just a bit further down 150 to Pumpkin Center.

Thanks for the tip.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2009, 08:03 PM

23,809 posts, read 34,544,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Ignatowski View Post
Thanks 295. My purpose on this thread was to help the OP, not to rile up a bunch of leftover Confederates.

"If we did move north, we would have the decorum to listen, learn and recognize we are the foreigners." Sadly, the person posting this will probably never know how telling a statement this is.

Now Yankee25, I think the tone of your post is a bit harsh, although there is truth. We know a few people here who really are Goody Two Shoes, good Christians, and they practice what they preach. But yes, a lot of them try and project this holier-than-thou perfect Christian image when what they really are is mules in horse harness or wolves in sheep's clothing. Not everything is as it appears.

This is why I told the OP to check on the neighbors before they put in an offer to purchase. Some of the Lincolnton neighborhoods look just great, but the locals know better. It's not like Up North where you can drive into a neighborhood and say oh this is crap for sure, and head back out never to return. Just make sure you do your research and go into this with your eyes wide open.

BTW, something positive...the downtown Lincolnton area has great shopping. We always try and shop local first before heading anywhere else. It is one of the prettiest downtown areas I have ever seen. There is good Southern food (almost as good as Grandma made) at Aunt Bessie's. The chevy dealership is top notch. The spouse and I will not take our vehicles anywhere else. There is a wonderful restaurant out in Vale - The Willow Creek Inn.

YW Jim. Having lived in South Jersey for so many years (over 40) I did not take what you wrote as a put down, but more as frustration about the comments that your wife has been on the receiving end of.

That said, South Jersey is way more cliquish than around here, over all, but in a more politically correct way, if that makes sense. Going into a store in Lincolnton I got a look that I've seen way too many times to mis-interpret it in South Jersey. In spite of the awful reputation that Kings Mountain has, I don't get that look here.

Old 09-01-2009, 02:06 PM

1 posts, read 2,333 times
I just purchased a property in lincolnton and I moving in the next 2 months. I'm from boston but have lived in atlanta,GA.8 years and Bastrop,LA. 8 years half of the people in the south are from the north I never had no promblems and I don't go to church

Old 09-01-2009, 08:17 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,376,462 times
thats a good thing but you do realize you are going to small-ville

Old 09-01-2009, 10:38 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,264,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksue View Post
I just purchased a property in lincolnton and I moving in the next 2 months. I'm from boston but have lived in atlanta,GA.8 years and Bastrop,LA. 8 years half of the people in the south are from the north I never had no promblems and I don't go to church
Let me be the first to welcome you to NC. I hope you will find your niche and enjoy your life here. Good luck!

Old 09-02-2009, 04:55 AM

1,546 posts, read 2,542,635 times
From Boston to Linconton, NC ? - Please keep us informed on how well you fit in.
Remember this phrase, "you're not from around here, are ya".

Old 09-11-2009, 03:25 PM

3 posts, read 13,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClevelandMike View Post
From Boston to Linconton, NC ? - Please keep us informed on how well you fit in.
Remember this phrase, "you're not from around here, are ya".
Truer words were never spoken! We stopped to get gas somewhere out quite a ways, and these were the OLD pumps - I got out to finish pumping the gas and put the nozzle away while my husband went in to get a drink and pay. The guy in the station said to him "you gonna give me a copy of that book your writing?" My husband begged his pardon because he was confused...the guy continued "you know that book about how you got your wife to pump gas? Now if you could get her to pay for it, that would be a best seller." We cracked up.

Old 09-11-2009, 04:20 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,376,462 times
thats funny

Old 09-12-2009, 01:21 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,264,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS_Transplant View Post
Truer words were never spoken! We stopped to get gas somewhere out quite a ways, and these were the OLD pumps - I got out to finish pumping the gas and put the nozzle away while my husband went in to get a drink and pay. The guy in the station said to him "you gonna give me a copy of that book your writing?" My husband begged his pardon because he was confused...the guy continued "you know that book about how you got your wife to pump gas? Now if you could get her to pay for it, that would be a best seller." We cracked up.
HEE HEE! That was Southern humor - at its finest!

Old 09-12-2009, 05:04 PM

2,203 posts, read 5,074,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I have read over these posts twice, trying to decide if I should waste my time on posting my thoughts.

I know SSD and Southbound have made a big effort to actually get to know folks - and not just objectify them. But some of the rest of the comments - wow - you (whomever it applies to) describe Lincoln County folks as if the locals were from some other planet - and the fact is - YOU are the one who moved to their world.

Just something to think about when mulling over why you may get the reactions from folks that you receive - or why there may be some resentment towards you as a newcomer. Some of the remarks and descriptions I have read in this thread are quite strident and dismissive (and condescending).

As far as the "religious" discussion . . . we are talking a rural area where communities have been held together thru/ 2 centuries by church membership and attendance. And you should be more understanding about the heritage of the locals - they were Europeans who had escaped Europe after religious persecution by the Catholic Church so yes, this has never been a Catholic area. No Catholic would have wanted to live amidst all the Reformed Germans, for one thing. You gotta think this through, folks.

I had a friend who grew up in Atlantic City in a Catholic neighborhood and she said the Catholics would not even speak to her family b/c they were Baptist. Yes, she was born in NJ. So please. There are plenty of places which have been basically protestant or catholic and not very open to anyone who wasn't in their particular church. You are the one who chose to live in Lincoln County; I sincerely doubt you received an engraved invite from the locals. But this is exactly the kind of thing that gets newcomers labeled Damn Yankees - you move somewhere without doing your research and then you complain cause you don't fit it.

Let me re-state. You don't want to fit in, actually. You want to be accommodated. And that is the attitude you need to give up. Why should anyone feel they should accommodate you? I mean - really? Especially when you arrive and spend your time rolling your eyes b/c everyone you encounter is (in your opinion) an uneducated country bumpkin.

So yes, if you move to Lincoln County, I would suggest you consider the 200 year plus heritage of the folks who have been there for generations.

And Southbound - you handled that as well as anyone could possibly have. That self-righteous ole biddy who handed you the card - she probably really believes "work on Sunday" is gonna send you straight to hell, lol. I know I was certainly taught that when growing up in this region! Thankfully, most folks have stopped w/ the inappropriate criticism that goes along with living in a small town and expecting everyone to conform to whatever is the cultural "norm" - but there are definitely still folks out there like this.

Which brings me back to my point for taking time to write this.

If you all don't like living in Lincoln County, then you really should move. I would not move to a place where I knew I didn't fit in. I myself would be very circumspect b/f I moved to a lot of areas in this state (and in most other states, as well). If you are into a more rural way of life and can appreciate small town values . . . if you can move to Lincoln County and realize that you WILL be considered an outsider for a very long time . . . and if your overall values fit in with the natives' - then you will be fine.

But gosh, people - don't you think the locals feel very demeaned by people who show up and instead of showing some respect for the way of life they have established and been enjoying for 200 years - sneer at it? Make fun of it? Are arrogant? I don't think I would be very cordial to you, either, if you demonstrated that attitude to me, no matter where I lived.

I feel for anyone who moves to a place where they have to "prove" themselves to the locals. But that is not singular to Lincoln County, NC. That is just small town America. And from what I have been told and have read . . . the same thing happens in small villages in Europe. You either fit in or you are gonna be shunned. So if all that draws you to an area is a big house on a big lot - think twice. Other people live there. If you expect to get along with them, make sure you choose a place where folks share your values.
Lincolnton is a gorgeous town....but.....

I'm not a newcomer, been here 36 years, brought here by my parents...my Father was a native of Lincolnton, and I 100% agree with Jim Ignatowski...he's got it pretty much right on about Lincolnton....I hear the reference to 200 years of folks that have been here, (some of those folks are my ancestors too)....you'd think in all that time someone would have taught them some acceptance.
I see some of these "religious" people around town acting not so religiously Mon-Sat...so hypocrisy here is rampant.

I became embarrassed to live in Lincolnton when "the powers that be" (the religious community) came together and very vocally boycotted a business started by two women who were Wiccan. It was a coffeehouse....I'm sure many here remember that.
Now I'm even more embarrassed by this drama at the Lincoln County Sheriff's Office....believe me, when I do get the chance, I will be saying good riddance to Lincolnton....too much corruption in our local government.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte