Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2010, 11:42 AM

11,839 posts, read 28,786,598 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagocubs View Post
going to church now....without ever leaving my chair!!
What do you do for communion?

Old 02-01-2010, 12:51 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,077,446 times
SUNNY: gotta tell ya . . . not comfortable with your new rule about never referring to ourselves as Southerners on this forum. We ARE Southerners.

The problem is with attitude. It won't matter what words are censured. I would much prefer being referred to as a Southerner or a native than a local. Local usually is stated in a pejorative way.

Old 02-01-2010, 01:01 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,252,507 times
I know but the term northerner seems to offend. You have no problem expressing your pride
from where you are from
this why people still use this to mean southern pride nothing else

Im really considering for the first time on quitting moderating

Old 02-01-2010, 01:23 PM

5,978 posts, read 19,827,013 times
Sunny - you're stressing too much over moderating. This forum is relatively tame compared to others. Stay on and just relax a bit. You can't please everyone every time. Just keep that in mind and only worry about TOS violations. I've moved around so much that I don't consider myself anything...a northerner, a southerner, a westerner, an islander...I just call myself a resident.

Old 02-01-2010, 01:24 PM

Can't we just refer to them as Canadians?

Old 02-01-2010, 01:26 PM

1,513 posts, read 3,340,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingowl View Post
Can't we just refer to them as Canadians?
Illinois is not that close to Canada . So no, you can't call me a Canadian.

Old 02-01-2010, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagomichauds View Post
Illinois is not that close to Canada . So no, you can't call me a Canadian.
Darn...

Old 02-01-2010, 01:39 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,077,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
I know but the term northerner seems to offend. You have no problem expressing your pride
from where you are from
this why people still use this to mean southern pride nothing else

Im really considering for the first time on quitting moderating
I know how you feel.

I also know you are trying to make things better.

My frustration has NOTHING to do with you at all, Sunny. And I fully understand why you are trying to figure out a way to keep folks from sounding disparaging.

My frustration is that if you will notice, not that many natives are even posting here anymore and that means a lot of info that is being posted these days is either inaccurate or misleading - or based on speculation rather than the knowledge that comes from living here a long time and learning the history of the area - whether this is about how the city developed, why decisions were made, why folks react to weather as they do, or about what to plant come Spring.

I don't feel I can post the facts any more without being jumped on by some of our "newcomer" from the NE members.

For ex - we had a bobcats thread. A few natives tried to post in response to the OP's questions about why the bobcats don't get supported here. Some of us tried to explain it - we were HERE and we KNOW what happened and we know how the longtime residents who do not support the bobcats feel about it. Dang if it didn't turn into several of the newcomers turning it into all kinds of other "reasons," including racism. And I felt absolutely insulted over some of the remarks, so much so that I decided - screw it. The facts are - by and large, the bobcats are NOT supported by natives - they are supported by newcomers who are hungry for professional sports. The natives feel like we got robbed of our team. Anyway, I thought about that and decided - well - I guess it is a good thing that the newcomers want to support the bobcats (since we got stuck with them) - since the natives sure the heck are not going to.

But if you can see what I am saying . . . this is just another example of how the influx of newcomers has made it impossible for the natives to have our voices heard - we are totally outnumbered. And we get disparaged on top of it - b/c we are not "progressive" enough. Well, if that is true, then that must be the way we liked it here for several hundred years.

That bobcats thread, along with several others that completely twist stuff around to promote some agenda that a newcomer has had really turned me off. For three years, I have kept this forum up on my desktop. Now, I don't even necessarily check in and read the forum every day. And usually when I do, I end up with my blood pressure going up b/c of the nonsense I see published - so much incorrect info in posts or blatantly non-Southern junk . . . I am feeling kinda "done" myself.

I think the demographics of Charlotte have drastically changed and frankly, I think the demographics of this forum have changed and the contentious, smark alecky and condescending crap I read when I do log on has made it pretty clear that a lot of people in this town have no respect for the folks who have been here for generations . . . which has had everything to do with my decision not only to cut back on CD forum time but also to move out of Charlotte as soon as the market makes an uptick.

It may be a minority of folks who come on with biases against anything Southern and with these inflated ideas that they have "rescued Charlotte" (yes, that is what some of these folks actually have stated on more than one occasion) . . . but they are the same people who have created a lot of unpleasantries in neighborhoods, workplaces, and even in stores. Heck, I don't even enjoy shopping here anymore!!! (There is a recent story I could relay about how a "newcomer" totally ruined any enjoyment I might have found during my last shopping excursion).

The sad thing is . . . most folks who have moved here are just wanting to live a good life, make friends and become part of the life of this region. But it is amazing how just a few contentious know-it-alls can make it pretty miserable for the everyone around them.

The only reason I have continued to log on here is b/c I find it amusing that these same folks have a theme - they can't figure out why no one is nice to them, hee hee. They are so ingrained in what they evidently believe is acceptable behavior (and wh/ is fly-in-your-face RUDE by Southern standards) that they honestly do not realize that the reason their neighbors shun them and the folks where they volunteer go run and hide is b/c they are OBNOXIOUS. It seems they cannot connect it . . .

Anyway, I have other stuff I need to be spending my time on anyway . . . and since I believe that in any endeavor, it is wise to realize when your "useful life" is essentially over, just seems to me perhaps this forum needs to go its way . . . and I need to go mine.

Not expecting any response from anyone on this . . . just stating my overall disappointment with how things have evolved on this forum - and that has very little to do with moderation and everything to do with who chooses to post here.

Old 02-01-2010, 01:43 PM

4,280 posts, read 11,258,149 times
Wow, never would have thought "Northerner" or "Southerner" would be considered derogatory terms and banned from use.
Interesting.

Old 02-01-2010, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Not expecting any response from anyone on this . . . just stating my overall disappointment with how things have evolved on this forum - and that has very little to do with moderation and everything to do with who chooses to post here.
Maybe Sunny can make you a moderator at large Ani...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte