Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2010, 08:16 AM

3,576 posts, read 10,655,777 times

Advertisements

Catrick, as a former resident of the Triad, I do try to participate as much in that forum as here. I think the major problem is that it seems very few newcomers even consider that area for relocation (I don't know why) so you just don't get as much traffic. And I think most residents of the Triad usually know where things are or how to find them, so there's much less of those types of questions. Most of the topics I've tried to start there have usually fallen flat, so I don't really know what would spark some interest.

Old 02-02-2010, 08:18 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,814,714 times
Hey, y'all. Sunny is taking some time off and asked me to "mind the store" for him. So, I'm back!

Please keep making reports of the mean/nasty pposts! Help me keep it nice for everyone.

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 02-02-2010, 09:02 AM

22,331 posts, read 29,417,031 times
Hi everyone. Hope all is well. Any ideas on how long the states income tax return checks are running? I remember last year it took FOREVER..

Old 02-02-2010, 09:22 AM

1,928 posts, read 3,644,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by superk View Post
Catrick, as a former resident of the Triad, I do try to participate as much in that forum as here. I think the major problem is that it seems very few newcomers even consider that area for relocation (I don't know why) so you just don't get as much traffic. And I think most residents of the Triad usually know where things are or how to find them, so there's much less of those types of questions. Most of the topics I've tried to start there have usually fallen flat, so I don't really know what would spark some interest.
You're right about it not being considered. It is also so spread out. Winston-Salem is 50 miles west of me and Greensboro 20. So I am not familiar with those areas. I have answered a few questions about Burlington/Graham so I hope I have at least returned the favor and helped people. And there are great people on there. Some from when I started looking in this area. And just no controversy!

Southbound, thanks for the welcome.

Old 02-02-2010, 09:23 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,483,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
Hi everyone. Hope all is well. Any ideas on how long the states income tax return checks are running? I remember last year it took FOREVER..
Well hello there, Himain!!! Miss you, btw!! Hope all is well . . . I haven't heard anyone say if they have received their checks yet, but I would suspect w/ the budget in the red, things are moving slow with refunds. Maybe someone else has filed and can tell you what their time span was. I just saw you had posted and wanted to say hello and tell you I miss having you here posting with us.

Old 02-02-2010, 09:29 AM

Thanx to all for your comments. I enjoy posting here except when I don't enjoy posting here, lol. There have just been too many occasions lately when it wasn't much fun. However, I find when I am away, I miss knowing how everyone is, what is transpiring in their lives, and what info is being shared that I don't know about - I learn something here regularly.

Plus - I get my questions answered here, too! Can't begin to count how many times folks on this forum have taken time to assist me over the years.

I noticed that SouthBound started another of her famously wonderful gardening threads - and I am sure that will be very helpful for hundreds of folks in the region. I sure don't want to miss out on that!!!

CATRICK - I have been so pleased to post with you and to get to know you better. I always enjoy when you are on this forum. SouthBound made sure you got the "welcome" but I am happy to second that!!!

Old 02-02-2010, 09:46 AM

Thanks Ani! It's been fun to post with you too!

Old 02-02-2010, 09:52 AM

The thread Mike started on "good news" in the region has some great info on some new stuff opening here - and Kannapolis, too. A new Rooster's uptown and (this is big!) a Cuban Cafe/Bar. Where is Himain??? She would have enjoyed a Cuban restaurant uptown.

Old 02-02-2010, 09:57 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,675,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catrick View Post
You're right about it not being considered. It is also so spread out. Winston-Salem is 50 miles west of me and Greensboro 20. So I am not familiar with those areas. I have answered a few questions about Burlington/Graham so I hope I have at least returned the favor and helped people. And there are great people on there. Some from when I started looking in this area. And just no controversy!

Southbound, thanks for the welcome.
You're welcome. Catrick.

I was really surprised when I tried to make a couple of posts on the Triad board. On this board, many of the locals are well versed in the history of the area & anxious to have someone ask a question that allows them to share it.

First I posted a couple of simple questions about researching Quaker records at Guilford College & got a snarky response wanting to know why I didn't just look online. I explained that I knew other people who wanted the same information & that meant that plenty of others, who I don't know want it. Then I explained that while this was not about moving to the area, it certainly concerned people making daytrips or coming on vacation. Then I got another, trying to jump me for being "rude" to the 1st one, when I had only explained what should have been obvious. Finally, someone gave me a link & I ended up answering my own question.

Then I tried asking about James Mendenhall's mill. I'm a direct descendant. The British camped out at his mill before the Battle of Guilford Court House. I read that the mill is at the bottom of City Lake in High point. I asked a couple of simple questions about that which I thought would be common knowledge with the local population. So far, no response & I don't have an answer.

I wasn't at all impressed with that board. Hang out on this one all you want.

Old 02-02-2010, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
You're welcome. Catrick.

I was really surprised when I tried to make a couple of posts on the Triad board. On this board, many of the locals are well versed in the history of the area & anxious to have someone ask a question that allows them to share it.

First I posted a couple of simple questions about researching Quaker records at Guilford College & got a snarky response wanting to know why I didn't just look online. I explained that I knew other people who wanted the same information & that meant that plenty of others, who I don't know want it. Then I explained that while this was not about moving to the area, it certainly concerned people making daytrips or coming on vacation. Then I got another, trying to jump me for being "rude" to the 1st one, when I had only explained what should have been obvious. Finally, someone gave me a link & I ended up answering my own question.

Then I tried asking about James Mendenhall's mill. I'm a direct descendant. The British camped out at his mill before the Battle of Guilford Court House. I read that the mill is at the bottom of City Lake in High point. I asked a couple of simple questions about that which I thought would be common knowledge with the local population. So far, no response & I don't have an answer.

I wasn't at all impressed with that board. Hang out on this one all you want.
I went back and looked up your posts there. Surprised at their responses. Well, there goes my theory about no controversy there. There are a few knowledgable people from Greensboro on there-natives or long time residents, but I don't see them on as much as they used to be. Keep checking back on the mill question. They might pop on and be able to help. Good luck on your research.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte