Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2010, 03:23 PM

7,126 posts, read 11,697,656 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post

This forum has been developed by the posters. The info is no better or worse than the folks who voluntarily post here. This silliness that has come from various posters who seem to demand that their opinions are the ONLY opinions voiced here has turned a lot of longtime posters off.

The moderators should be concerned about that more than spending time censoring words that are - by anybody's definition - in no way derogatory or inflammatory. And I would propose that anyone who says they ARE has an agenda. And that is what folks should be concerned about. B/c if good, reliable info is to be shared on this forum, the folks who try to provide it - but are getting infractions when they post - then that is only going to turn people off.

I know I have started to question why I bother to take the time to post here! I had decided to quit posting and then the Ballantyne situation came up and I felt that was worth being involved in.

But one of the longest posters (who gives the best info, may I add) has decided she is no longer posting and I am thinking she has the right idea. Why get abused when you try to "tell it like it is?" If you disagree with several of the posters here, they start complaining to the moderators. Since when does "running to the teacher" over such silliness as referring to a person as a newcomer mean someone gets an infraction? Or even - has the post deleted???? Good grief.

So if the moderators want this to remain a viable board that grows - they need to stop it with the silliness of censoring words that are in common use and in no way disparage anyone. Heck, there is a Newcomers Club, for heaven's sake - and the Chamber literature refers to newcomers. That is just ridiculous.
Amen. I for one decided some 10 days ago to discontinue posting to this forum and attempted to relay this information to the mod, but my account was "restricted" so I kinda gave up. Only because of this post/thread am I answering.I attempted to relay this information again later in the week and saw that my message did not go thru or was deleted. Really don't know the answer. Not important now as my anger is well past what annoyed me 10 days ago. (A lot of sun, fun and rum can do that lol). I feel I made the right decision but I'm saddened that because of some sillyness in the strict interpetation of TOS I cannot and will not participate in CD Charlotte any longer.

pc

Old 02-28-2010, 03:36 PM

1,928 posts, read 3,643,442 times
Wow! What the heck is going on with everyone leaving or thinking of leaving???????

Old 02-28-2010, 04:19 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catrick View Post
Wow! What the heck is going on with everyone leaving or thinking of leaving???????
There are some of us who are being singled out by a few "newer" forum members and harrassed - and evidently a campaign is on to complain about every word we write . . . They have an agenda and we realize that . . . This has been going on for months and has pretty much ruined any enjoyment we have found w/ sharing info and helping others get settled. And I guess that is all I should say about that, lol.

Old 02-28-2010, 04:24 PM

1,139 posts, read 2,360,274 times
Quote:
There are some of us who are being singled out by a few "newer" forum members and harrassed - and evidently a campaign is on to complain about every word we write . . . They have an agenda and we realize that . . . This has been going on for months and has pretty much ruined any enjoyment we have found w/ sharing info and helping others get settled. And I guess that is all I should say about that, lol.
I am sorry to hear about that. I have enjoyed reading and posting in the forum. Unfortunately the action of few makes it bad for the others. When can conversations just be conversations and be healthy. Oh well.....

Old 02-28-2010, 04:28 PM

1,928 posts, read 3,643,442 times
That is just a shame. Because all the good and helpful ones will leave and then I will feel sorry for all those looking for help.

I found the NC forum very helpful when we were doing our research. And I have found help on the California forum asking questions for my daughter and her husband who are being transferred there. Oh well. Sad situation.

Old 02-28-2010, 04:39 PM

23,813 posts, read 34,657,307 times
Quote:
I don't get it, Sunny! I really don't. If you are new to the area, you are a newcomer, lol. In fact, for those of you who have posted here for 2-3 years, you may remember when we as a group decided no longer to say TRANSPLANT. We decided to say "newcomer," b/c several posters said - why do you refer to newcomers as transplants - that sounds like a medical term - like a kidney transplant. So we all laughed and said - we get that!!! So we decided to no longer say "transplant" but to say "newcomer" on the Charlotte forum. Anyone else remember that? Maybe in 2007? or maybe 2008?

The facts are - it matters whether a person is a newcomer or a native when it comes to opinions on various things here and also as far as knowing the actual history of an area. Newcomers often hear "rumors" or make assumptions, and getting the straight info from a native MATTERS. So I think there is a big reason to distinguish that the info is coming from a native who really knows the history.

This forum has been developed by the posters. The info is no better or worse than the folks who voluntarily post here. This silliness that has come from various posters who seem to demand that their opinions are the ONLY opinions voiced here has turned a lot of longtime posters off.

The moderators should be concerned about that more than spending time censoring words that are - by anybody's definition - in no way derogatory or inflammatory. And I would propose that anyone who says they ARE has an agenda. And that is what folks should be concerned about. B/c if good, reliable info is to be shared on this forum, the folks who try to provide it - but are getting infractions when they post - then that is only going to turn people off.

I know I have started to question why I bother to take the time to post here! I had decided to quit posting and then the Ballantyne situation came up and I felt that was worth being involved in.

But one of the longest posters (who gives the best info, may I add) has decided she is no longer posting and I am thinking she has the right idea. Why get abused when you try to "tell it like it is?" If you disagree with several of the posters here, they start complaining to the moderators. Since when does "running to the teacher" over such silliness as referring to a person as a newcomer mean someone gets an infraction? Or even - have the post deleted???? Good grief.

So if people want this to remain a viable board that grows - they need to stop it with the silliness of censoring words that are in common use and in no way disparage anyone. Heck, there is a Newcomers Club, for heaven's sake - and the Chamber literature refers to newcomers. That is just ridiculous.
Ani, I figure that you can be right, or wrong on here, & in either case anyone has the right to disagree, but to carry on & complain to a moderator about newcomer, transplant, or Yankee. That's picking. If it's said in a nasty way, that's one thing, but you have to call us something, for pete's sake. If somebody is that touchy, they just shouldn't be involved with this.

I was a long term transplant in South Jersey. I was not a native. The same goes here. I am a transplant.

I've learned a fair amount of history about here, but you need the input of the natives if you are going to fit in & acclimate.

Old 02-28-2010, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bajanqueen View Post
I am sorry to hear about that. I have enjoyed reading and posting in the forum. Unfortunately the action of few makes it bad for the others. When can conversations just be conversations and be healthy. Oh well.....

You have been a terrific poster! Enjoy posting with you (but I think I told you that already, lol!!) Yes, you hit it - discussions are just that - no reason everyone even has to agree. In fact, it is through getting different perspectives that I learn. It is not always about sharing or informing - some of us come here to learn, as well.

Old 02-28-2010, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Ani, I figure that you can be right, or wrong on here, & in either case anyone has the right to disagree, but to carry on & complain to a moderator about newcomer, transplant, or Yankee. That's picking. If it's said in a nasty way, that's one thing, but you have to call us something, for pete's sake. If somebody is that touchy, they just shouldn't be involved with this.

I was a long term transplant in South Jersey. I was not a native. The same goes here. I am a transplant.

I've learned a fair amount of history about here, but you need the input of the natives if you are going to fit in & acclimate.
Not agreeing is part of the discussion - you are so right. And a lot of what we post would be "opinion" - and there is no right or wrong on that! What turns me on may turn you off, and vice versa. I don't see why it has to get mean spirited if someone disagrees - that doesn't mean they should RETALIATE. Dang. Adults should be able to have conversations with different viewpoints and not get so angry when others don't see it their way . . . and certainly not retaliate just b/c their viewpoint gets challenged. But that is exactly what has been occurring. Silly, if you ask me.

Old 02-28-2010, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catrick View Post
That is just a shame. Because all the good and helpful ones will leave and then I will feel sorry for all those looking for help.

I found the NC forum very helpful when we were doing our research. And I have found help on the California forum asking questions for my daughter and her husband who are being transferred there. Oh well. Sad situation.
Maybe not having Loves and me posting often will take the joy out of coming on the forum for the folks who like to stalk our posts and harrass us, lol. I get a lot of great info here! Just got the name of a guy to call to help with some jobs around the house . . . I share info but also get some great tips, ideas and recommendations from C-D.

Old 02-28-2010, 05:23 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,493,145 times
hold on I gotta catch up it took me forever to go up 85 today
Im assuming it was CIAA traffic but it was weird it didnt back up until 2 miles towards
Mallard Creek Rd then it took 30 minutes to go 2 miles.
Im going catch up take some stuff off the stove in Cafe World of Face book then
watch Amazing Race then Under Cover Boss so maybe we can discuss this tomorrow.
Bajanqueen i'm trying to clean up this forum. Rudeness is flaming and flaming is a
personal attack use report post button and hopefully I will have this more enjoyable
forum by the Spring. Ill lurk in here around 11 or see yall tomorrow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte