Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2010, 07:15 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,444,534 times

Advertisements

They are still saying a storm is on they way, aren't they . . . uggghhhhh.

Old 03-01-2010, 07:41 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,489,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
They are still saying a storm is on they way, aren't they . . . uggghhhhh.
I just watch CNN and they stated just snow in the mountains.
So who knows, I think they need new computers to do their predicting.

Old 03-01-2010, 08:36 AM

well as i stated in this thread Im only enforcing the TOS and that is it
what you must call someone I just dont care i'm not a freakin nanny
I will not I repeat I will not censor someone calling some one a name
unless the poster who is offended and reports that post.
I been doing little by little this year to return this forum to the way
it was before I started moderating about anything goes unless a poster
reports it Im not fixing it. If you want to go off topic fine do that but also
keep in mine someone might report it If you want to call someone a
floridiot then fine but if the poster who was called that offended
then reports it keep in mind ill enforce tos.
What im saying is I just dont care what you call someone.
Ill use the word newcomer or transplant and those words are ok
with me for you to use it. If someone uses any word that that describes someone who recently moved here its ok with me only time I will censor
the word if the poster reports it but I will not give infraction unless it
used in a negative way like
Quote:
I wish those freakin yankees go back home
That an obvious personal attack.
I will not start censoring the software take cares of what words are allow like I know I cant say she is a ***** or he is a **** sucker
One thing I enjoyed about this forum is you could share about anything on how you feel if you want to ***** you can do that

Quote:
Originally Posted by bajanqueen View Post
I don't think of those words as offensive. It is the tone in which the reader interprets them. That's the thing about print.It is hard to get your tone and point across to some people. As I say call me anything but later for dinner or anything else that is known to be downright insulting (there is only one word that I find offensive and we all know what thay one is no matter who says it.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagocubs View Post
Sunny, in the end, I think any words when they are said nastily will offend. Otherwise, it should be something that people laugh about. Don't you agree?
Quote:
I don't get it, Sunny! I really don't. If you are new to the area, you are a newcomer, lol. In fact, for those of you who have posted here for 2-3 years, you may remember when we as a group decided no longer to say TRANSPLANT. We decided to say "newcomer," b/c several posters said - why do you refer to newcomers as transplants - that sounds like a medical term - like a kidney transplant. So we all laughed and said - we get that!!! So we decided to no longer say "transplant" but to say "newcomer" on the Charlotte forum. Anyone else remember that? Maybe in 2007? or maybe 2008?

The facts are - it matters whether a person is a newcomer or a native when it comes to opinions on various things here and also as far as knowing the actual history of an area. Newcomers often hear "rumors" or make assumptions, and getting the straight info from a native MATTERS. So I think there is a big reason to distinguish that the info is coming from a native who really knows the history.

This forum has been developed by the posters. The info is no better or worse than the folks who voluntarily post here. This silliness that has come from various posters who seem to demand that their opinions are the ONLY opinions voiced here has turned a lot of longtime posters off.

The moderators should be concerned about that more than spending time censoring words that are - by anybody's definition - in no way derogatory or inflammatory. And I would propose that anyone who says they ARE has an agenda. And that is what folks should be concerned about. B/c if good, reliable info is to be shared on this forum, the folks who try to provide it - but are getting infractions when they post - then that is only going to turn people off.

I know I have started to question why I bother to take the time to post here! I had decided to quit posting and then the Ballantyne situation came up and I felt that was worth being involved in.

But one of the longest posters (who gives the best info, may I add) has decided she is no longer posting and I am thinking she has the right idea. Why get abused when you try to "tell it like it is?" If you disagree with several of the posters here, they start complaining to the moderators. Since when does "running to the teacher" over such silliness as referring to a person as a newcomer mean someone gets an infraction? Or even - have the post deleted???? Good grief.

So if people want this to remain a viable board that grows - they need to stop it with the silliness of censoring words that are in common use and in no way disparage anyone. Heck, there is a Newcomers Club, for heaven's sake - and the Chamber literature refers to newcomers. That is just ridiculous.

Old 03-01-2010, 09:27 AM

What if the person "reporting" the supposed offense is exaggerating the "offense" and is not justified in their complaint? You are still gonna slap our hands just b/c someone complains? Some people are just looking for ways to get offended so they can retaliate against members who have a different worldview than they do.

And you know I rarely have complained about anything anyone has written about me. In fact, I bet I haven't complained on my own behalf (have on behalf of others) except perhaps 3 times in the three years I have posted here. And I post a LOT. I think most stuff is juvenile and silly, so I would hate to see that just b/c someone is whining, they are able to get another poster put in the doghouse when the complaint is just plain ridiculous.

Old 03-01-2010, 09:42 AM

Quote:
What if the person "reporting" the supposed offense is exaggerating the "offense" and is not justified in their complaint? You are still gonna slap our hands just b/c someone complains?
no I will just delete and move on but if its obvious personal attack
Quote:
You Idiot
then thats an obvious personal attack
and if someone reports offense to someone else oh well build some
tough skin because that wasnt you
(using term you as general reference lol) If you want to call someone a newcomer I have no problem with it and it seems all of you who responded on the previous page dont think its offensive and why in
the hell would I create rules that are not spelt out in the tos
If I cant back up my infraction with quoting the tos then Im not going to
enforce it

Old 03-01-2010, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
no I will just delete and move on but if its obvious personal attack
like then thats an obvious personal attack
and if someone reports offense to someone else oh well build some
tough skin because that wasnt you
(using term you as general reference lol) If you want to call someone a newcomer I have no problem with it and it seems all of you who responded on the previous page dont think its offensive and why in
the hell would I create rules that are not spelt out in the tos
If I cant back up my infraction with quoting the tos then Im not going to
enforce it
Gotcha. Thank you for taking the time to be our MOD, Sunny. Not as tho you get paid for it, and I can't imagine how much time it takes. I know it is sometimes a pain in the bazooka, too.

Old 03-01-2010, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Gotcha. Thank you for taking the time to be our MOD, Sunny. Not as tho you get paid for it, and I can't imagine how much time it takes. I know it is sometimes a pain in the bazooka, too.
LOL I know and im trying to reduce amount of time I spend here
Im just modding no more policing if that makes sense.
Another topic you brought up in the last page. I have to be careful
from discussing actions taken on fellow posters due to privacy.
I been fair in my modding treat everyone equal.
A violation of the tos is violation of the tos I dont care if you have
30 posts or 300 useful posts you (general term) still have to
abide by the rules. The TOS prevents chaos and im no way going
to allow favoritism.

Im a sucker for apologies I have and will reverse an infraction if they
would just admit to they cross the line. I know things are said out
of the heat of the moment. Something new Im doing this month
is letting posters know I take apologies. I just reverse one in this thread
iam from saudi arabia......i want help from you
Im trying to be fair as much as I can

Old 03-01-2010, 05:51 PM

7,041 posts, read 15,027,604 times
Sunny, I think that is most fair & reasonable. Hats off to you!!

(PS: you really shouldn't HAVE to enforce something that is not listed in the TOS; who knows what kind of additional problems that could cause!)

Old 03-01-2010, 06:41 PM

So who is on storm watch besides me????

Luckily, hubby is home all week so no worries about flights!! YAY!!!

I remember a huge snow storm that took place in March of 1993, I believe. My whole family back here was snowed under - power outages for days . . . Anyone else here then?

Old 03-01-2010, 07:07 PM

7,041 posts, read 15,027,604 times
yep, I was here, but, don't remember that storm particularily

they were comparing the track of this storm to that one earlier....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.